• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ensignmobile

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Road Program said:
Just get an Accord, save up some money and then get a cool car when you make JG.

That's very good advice. Especially if you wait until you deploy and use Navy Autosource (provided you want an American car). I had a 2006 Mustang GT Coupe lined up for 28,710, but I couldn't do it because they can't deliver it until Nov/Dec. To give you an idea how good of a deal that was, I tried getting the same car in the 2005 model earlier this month, and the dealer said the MSRP was 29,115, and they were marking it up 2Gs, and weren't coming down from that. Car dealers are the most crooked SOBs.

Long story short, I settled on a 2002 Pontiac Firebird (V8) through Carmax.com saved about 10Gs vs. the 'stang.

Grant

metro said:
now to determine which I would want more...the extra HP and the Z06 performance, or the convertible.

Please dont get a convertible. If you do, be ready for everyone to ask if its your girlfriend's/wife's car...

Pretty soon I want to dump my current truck ('99 Chevy Z71) for an '06 Chevy 2500HD crewcab shortbed 4x4 with the Duramax diesel... Or maybe I'll just keep my current truck (its been very reliable so far, with 98k on the ticker), and get a bass boat. I'd love a 19'-20' with an outboard in the 200-225 hp neighborhood. We'll see.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
2001 Toyota Tacoma. Its paid off in Dec, then im giving it to my brother next May. Im thinking of getting a prerunner w/ crew cab. Yea, keepin it toyota ova here. Good, cheap, reliable vehicles i think.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
Love the GT's but it has come down to that, or an M3.....what do you all think?

Damn, you're asking about what to budget for, and you're looking at an M3?

As a "comfortable" post-deployment(s) O-3, I'm having a hard time enjoying the idea of paying for a regular 330i. That said, an M3 is a nice ride, if not a thirsty one.

ip568

None
$ 2,500 Fob

vw_fb.bmp

<P>
Was a total POS. Stopped running if it rained. Pieces fell off on the highway. Crank case cracked open. Electrical system caught fire three weeks after the warranty expired. Women were not impressed.

doubledeuce

Tartan
None
98 wrangler all payed off. Of course what I would spend on payments goes into modifying it. Damn jeeps and all their cool toys/add-ons.

phrogpilot73

Being a post deployments Capt with 6 years of flying time and single, and looking at 6 more months of tax free, I'm driving a 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Limited. Just about every option available with the exception of a Nav system and DVD player. Get alot of crap "looks like a minivan" statements, until they get inside. Then it all makes sense... I'd wait 'till you have those deployment dollars burning a hole in your pocket...

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Mustang....unless it's a special edition like a Saleen I would not buy it for anything, everybody has one and in five years it'll have as much prestige as a 90 GT, it will look and feel ordinary and cheap. Unless you're buyng a truck or a Vette don't buy american, it's a 5 year disposable vehicle.

When I was in OCS in '96 I bought an '88 RX-7 Turbo, $3K. When I got to the fleet I decided to get another car because I built it for racing and the gas was killing me. So I bought a four year certified '95 M3, very steep price but now it's paid for...it was worth the high payments.

Oh yea, I kept the RX-7 to play at the racetrack!!

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I've got a 2002 Toyota Tundra TRD. Bought it in 04 for 22.5 with the USAA loan. I love the thing, although the gas prices are really starting to be a b!tch.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
buy an ex police car...free ticket to fly...95% of the time...tickets are far and few between

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
rare21 said:
buy an ex police car...free ticket to fly...95% of the time...tickets are far and few between...but if you all want to be tough...its got a 5 star crash rating...

My grandfather had an old police car. From what I've heard, it was the shiz. But yeah, old cop cars are cool.

Brett: you gotta crunch in the 3000$ tax-credit with the Prius/a hybrid in addition to the savings on gas.. and the fact your getting a nice piece of machinery Toyota sells at a loss to lower the average MPG of its fleet. If you live in DC like I do you also get a free pass into the HOV Lane which is sweet.

Rare21: My friend drives a Crown Vic Police Interceptor he bought used... all the cops just wave to him as he speeds around figuring hes brethern.. one cop even pulled out after him when he was speeding, hit the lights, saw it was an interceptor gave him a wave and let him go..

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Richthofen said:
I want Mini cooper if I ever make it =)

My friend drives a mini... it's a b***h if there's no mini dealership nearby... he says most places won't fix'em... and if you have to replace the tires... prepare to empty your wallet... run-flats are expensive...
on the plus side, good gas mileage.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
'96 Dodge Avenger :( was my Ensignmobile. It will take me a lot to buy another Dodge or Chrysler product. My passenger window had a nasty tendancy to produce a high pitched whistle when I drove over 60mph in hot weather :icon_rage. That was just one of the many quality control problems I had with the car.

'04 Volvo S60R :D is my Ltmobile, 300hp turbo :icon_smil . I got it through Volvo's own military sales program and got $7000 off the sticker, when the cars were going for over stciker and higher (several of the European carmakers have their own military sales programs: Volvo and BMW both do, I think Audi and Mercedes too).

My dream car is a '05 M3, the newer styling is uglier than sin. With a wife and the housing prices here in DC, I just couldn't swing it though..... :(