• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Recruiter making me wait to talk to Officer Recruiter

gotta_fly

pilot
I had a similar situation in high school. I was accepted to NROTC with the 4 year scholarship, and was waiting to hear back from the academy, when the local Marine recruiter started trying to get me into DEP. No joke, he told me that enlisting in the MC was the best option for me because whenever I chose between NROTC and academy I could 'be released from my contract'. Pretty screwy considering I told him I wanted to be a Navy officer, not a Marine. He came after me pretty hard and tried to make me take the ASVAB- the only reason I didn't end up taking it is he blew off our appointment and didn't show up at his own office.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
A girl I knew in High School had superstar grades and all the other resume goodies.....she wanted to be a doctor and when a Navy recruiter got ahold of her and told her that the Navy would pay for her to be a "doc"....all you HM types see where this is going?....4 years later I am in Pcola and see HM2........

dbrauer87

Well I got ahold of this region's Officer recruiter and finally have the right ball rolling. Wasted a week with the enlisted recruiter giving me the run around. Hopefully I can get everything taken care of now. Hopefully can get everything done by the time I graduate.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I got ahold of this region's Officer recruiter and finally have the right ball rolling. Wasted a week with the enlisted recruiter giving me the run around. Hopefully I can get everything taken care of now. Hopefully can get everything done by the time I graduate.

Out of curiosity, did the Officer recruiter have anything to say regarding the run-around you got?

k_smittay

It is a shame really, because its not like these recruiters are just bad guys. They are thrust into an environment which requires them to meet a qouta or it could have a negative impact on their career. Also, it doesnt help the fact that the military is in a time when more and more people are looking for other options after highschool, and communities and school districts are less and less helpful with recruiters.

Sure the recruiters "shouldn't" participate in these tactics, but when it comes down to bringing bacon home to mama and family.. what choices are you really left with?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It is a shame really, because its not like these recruiters are just bad guys. They are thrust into an environment which requires them to meet a qouta or it could have a negative impact on their career. Also, it doesnt help the fact that the military is in a time when more and more people are looking for other options after highschool, and communities and school districts are less and less helpful with recruiters.

Sure the recruiters "shouldn't" participate in these tactics, but when it comes down to bringing bacon home to mama and family.. what choices are you really left with?

To be a douche, or not to be a douche? That is the question. A good recruiter does well in his job without the deceit. It's as simple as that.

k_smittay

To be a douche, or not to be a douche? That is the question. A good recruiter does well in his job without the deceit. It's as simple as that.

I totally agree, I don't think they should be a douche. I also believe in serving your country though. So it was easy for the recruiter to get me to sign the papers.

Sabre170

None
Sting Op

^ I don't think setting up a sting operation is really going to do much toward the OP getting to his goal of joining a Commissioning program. Follow the advice given by HH-60H & HeyJoe, and the Officer Recruiter will take care of the rest...

No you don't have to set up a sting operation, but just letting them know in legal terms they are lying and if you need to "show them in writing" should be enough to catch them at their own game. Hopefully it would be a nice wakeup call. Glad to hear you finally got in touch with the officer recruiter.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No you don't have to set up a sting operation, but just letting them know in legal terms they are lying and if you need to "show them in writing" should be enough to catch them at their own game. Hopefully it would be a nice wakeup call. Glad to hear you finally got in touch with the officer recruiter.

fair enough, I just didn't get that message from your earlier post.

k_smittay

You guys keep mentioning the horrible job the recruiters are doing.. but no one has mentioned a way to fix it?! The crappy and dishonest system in place now isnt even working to meet recruiting goals. If you look at the big picture.. Big Navy, Army, Air force, and Marines still need recruits. If the horrible numbers continue to decline in an already strained military.. then what?

I agree recruiters should be honest. Period. How do you go about telling army recruits the truth that they are probably going to enlist and do back to back 15 month tours in Iraq??? Not very many would join.

dbrauer87

Out of curiosity, did the Officer recruiter have anything to say regarding the run-around you got?

He got the recruiter's name from me and told me to tell him I've reported him to his chain of command if he does happen to call me back. On another note I'm filling out all my officer applications. Hopefully don't run into too many snags with it. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated...and thanks a ton for all the advice....if I wouldn't have found this I could have found myself enlisted..lol..:confused:

wirefire2

Corporal of Marines
Good job on that ASVAB by the way. Even though its not required it still shows that you're not a moron at the very least.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You guys keep mentioning the horrible job the recruiters are doing.. but no one has mentioned a way to fix it?! The crappy and dishonest system in place now isnt even working to meet recruiting goals. If you look at the big picture.. Big Navy, Army, Air force, and Marines still need recruits. If the horrible numbers continue to decline in an already strained military.. then what?

There are so many reasons for a lack of recruits, though...

-Unpopular war in Iraq
-Low pay compared to the civilian side with much less autonomy over your life
-Much more people are attending college out of high school these days
-College degree with decent grades makes you eligible to become an officer
-Lots of negative media attention to the way the military does business (ie "stop loss")
-When I was in high school, there was a general stigma, albeit an extremely ignorant one, that only dumb/poor people enlisted in the military. I would guess that our neighborhood wasn't the only one that thought that.
-The stigma that all recruiters are liars (although apparently lying recruiters are ubiquitous)
-Decreased sense of patriotism among our society. We deserve everything and need to give nothing.

And there are probably another half dozen that I missed. I don't think it's just a matter of recruiting strategy.

I agree recruiters should be honest. Period. How do you go about telling army recruits the truth that they are probably going to enlist and do back to back 15 month tours in Iraq??? Not very many would join.
Well, does the recruiter know for sure that the person is going to do back to back 15 mo tours in Iraq? I think there's a way to make someone aware of what the military is going to expect from him without directly saying "by the way, sign here and you're going to be in Iraq for 2 years straight."