• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deja Vu - the Mega oft-repeated question: Differences Between USMC and Naval Aviation

Rg9

pilot
I'll be happy flying anything, but I want to be in a fighter or attack class of jet or helo and the Marines seem to be the way to go for that.

Marines also have the JSF coming so going Marines wouldn't keep me from my true dream.
Bold words are key. Join the service you want, then, for the service, not the aircraft. I know guys in ROTC that switched to Marines because they thought it would give them a better chance to get jets (since lots of Marines want helos). Guess what they got... wasn't jets.

Anyway, if you really want the fighter/attack aspect, you'd probably have a better chance in the Marine Corps. But keep in mind all the other aspects of being a Marine and what they involve ..;)

(I'm sure the video's a repost, but still funny)

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
What is said above about USMC FO's is true, right now, the plan is to phase out NFO's in the Marines in the next 10-12 years, as we heard down here in P-cola at the recent Naval Aviation Symposium. Also, one big thing to mention is that in the Navy, FO's have a wider range of choices in what platform they can choose. In the Navy, we can get P-3's, E-2's, in addition to the Jets (Prowlers and Hornets). In the Marines, if you get selected for and NFO contract, you've got jets, one way or another. You're alsorelatively isolated from the boat, as I understand, since marine 2-seat hornet squadrons don't go to the boat, and overall, it's really only Navy Prowler squadrons that go to the boat. Also, another thing they mentioned at the symposium here recently, was that even in the Navy, Tactical FO's will be phased out in the 20 year time frame, so there's a question whether people who are being trained right now might be the last to make it a full 20 in the tactical community. Of course, keep in mind, this is all the current plans that they've told us, these things could change of course, and there might be others on the forum with better gouge than me, however, most of this information is stuff we heard at a symposium of flag officers down here about a month ago.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, another thing they mentioned at the symposium here recently, was that even in the Navy, Tactical FO's will be phased out in the 20 year time frame, so there's a question whether people who are being trained right now might be the last to make it a full 20 in the tactical community.

I seriously doubt that, since we are still buying F/A-18F's and the E/A-18G buy is jsut starting. They will be around for a while, G's I would guess for more than 20 years.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Admiral (can't remember which one it was) said that FO's in our generation of JO's would not need to worry about job security in the TACAIR community. It seemed that he was speaking more for a generation or two beyond us. Then again, that was a few months ago and lost in the blur of API memories :)

Renegade One

None
Another view from the peanut gallery, I guess...Short answer is that I concur with those who say "if you're interested in a long flying career as an NFO...go Navy."

The longer version is that there's more to your USN vs. USMC decision than just flying. I'm was a Navy guy, and most happy for that, but it's been my LONG observation that Marines "are something else". They are, and wanted to be, Marines FIRST and FOREMOST, for all that that implies. And they never forgot that...leaders of fellow Marines, riflemen first, the Few, the Proud, yadda yadda yadda.

So...becoming a Marine officer is, I think, a very big decision. It's a different mind-set, a different life and a different career aspiration, and probably hardly at all about "who gets more flight time".

I love the Marines...glad they're on our side.

V/R, Spike

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
:confused: My $.02, don't let anyone else know that.

it was a joke :icon_tong.

Anyways, thank you all for the advice. I'm not too interested in ANG from what I've read, but Marines and Navy both really interest me. Appreciate the links you guys provided.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
***WARNING-GENERALIZATIONS TO FOLLOW***

The Marine Corps is more concerned with leadership, physical conditioning, uniformity, discipline, and motivation. We are more expeditionary in nature, rely heavily on small units leadership, and generally have more of a "ready to fight 24/7 mindset". We are less seperated by MOS with the "Every Marine a Rifleman" mentality.

The Navy, while certainly concerned with the items above, cares more about education, higher levels of responsibility (command, etc), and specialty training. They are far more subdivided by MOS groups (subs, aviation, surface, SpecWar, etc). They also have a "shore duty/sea duty" mindset when it comes to deployments.

***THIS WAS NOT MEANT TO START A FLAME WAR OR DENIGRATE ANY SERVICE***

HD's comments are spot-on. Also, and not to denigrate any service, it used to be that a Navy's squadron's worst nightmare was to get airframes that the Corps had flown previously. If the AF had a prima-donna approach to a/c maintenance, the USMC used to be the other extreme. Usually nothing electronic worked & the airframe seemed to have been assaulted with ball-peen hammers. It probably isn't like that now. My timeframe reference is from the mid 60's to the early 80's.

Joseph

Differences Between USMC and Naval Aviation

I'm not sure if this should be in the USMC forum or not. It looked kinda dead, so I posted here.

My question is: Say for example I am an F-18 pilot in the USMC; how does my life differ from that of an F-18 pilot in the Navy? Am I guaranteed to be based aboard ship? Do I spend more assignments at shore?

Thanks and sorry if I sound ignorant.

phrogpilot73

Guess you didn't learn from the last you started that was closed. Use the search feature - since it's a topic that's been covered ad naseum.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Here's a similarity - you need to use a little initative and be proactive in both, not depend on others to do your research. sSe the search function, read the site and then ask specific questions. For example:

"From researching the site, I see F/A-18 pilots are know as FAGs. I have also learned that FAG stands for fighter attack guy. But are FAGs really part of the "don't ask, don't tell" crowd or is it just good natured ribbing from P-3 pukes?"

ghostrider430

Differences between USMC and Navy

Hey, I'm new to the forum. I just had PRK and I'm waiting to hear back from the aviation selection boards for both the Marines and the Navy. Assuming that I get selected *crosses fingers*, I will definitely be joining one of them. In the meantime, I was hoping someone could give me information on the differences between Navy and Marine aviation. Are there different stations? Different training? Different billet opportunities? Different post-grad education opportunities? Thanks in advance.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Man, this is a pretty loaded question, but I'll give it a shot!

In the Marines, you are a rifleman first. Further, if you want to fly, you need to be an officer (Navy and Marines). First of all, in the Marines you will need to go to The Basic School first to learn how to be a platoon leader, then you'd go to flight school. In the Navy, you would be selected for pilot or NFO outright and go to flight school upon comissioning.

That is a basic overview, the missions between the Navy and Marines will vary as well. Each has thier own helo and jet pilots, but we differ in specific missions. Search around here to see what you may be more interested in.

Also, the commissioning programs between the two services can differ.

Good luck! I'm sorry I gave a generic answer, but I don't want to sell my Marine bretheren short. They can do a much better job of explaining thier side than I!