• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deja Vu - the Mega oft-repeated question: Differences Between USMC and Naval Aviation

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The aviation part isn't hugely different between the Navy and Marine Corps, at least on the FW side. The cultures of the services are more different, but not as different as the air force.

Also, if you really want to fly the JSF, you can do it anywhere except the army. You do know what the "J" stands for, right?

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Lol, yes Joint Strike Fighter... I know what the acronym is. But I don't like the Air Force (No offense... I think it's the uniform...) and I'd rather not to army, but I'm totally game for Navy or Marines. My dad was Navy, his dad was Navy.

As to the family life, I know what it means for my family. My dad wasn't a pilot but he was an AT attached to various F/A 18 squadrons throughout his career. He also went in enlisted and though he made LDO at E-6, he always stressed the fact that I join as an officer. I love my family very much, but serving my country has always been my calling. I'm open to many different means of service. Obviously, my first choice is to be a pilot (like I mentioned earlier I'll be happy to fly anything... with a preference for something tactical), but I've also considered SEALs, navy diver, and SWO... in that order.

I very much want to be a part of the military and do something that lets me feel like I'm making a difference. It's immensely frustrating to be sitting in a college class while others are fighting and dying. I don't know how corny that sounds, but I can't wait to join and help in whatever way I can.

I know that for families it is not the most enticing career, but it is a calling. It's what I've dreamed of. I'd rather be completely happy in my occupation and have the consequence of sometimes having to leave my family than only be content with whatever other career I would choose and be home all the time.

The main reason I was thinking Marines is because I had assumed (although I may be incorrect) that they had more "attack" aircraft to choose from, thus increasing my chances of being in some type of attack aircraft myself.

But to sum it up, just know that I would be happy to serve in any capacity... well, maybe not as a secretary or cook... but you catch my drift.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
If you absolutely want to get into a fighter/attack, you might want to look into the ANG. You fly whatever the squadron you join is currently flying. Just another option.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
"While I sorely want to be CNO one day, my current goal is to finish advanced and get my wings."
I'm sure you are a super guy, but if you walked into the squadron and let this slip out, looking wide-eyed and without a hint of irony, I would "sorely" want to label you as "that guy".
Just sayin'.

B

Blutonski816

it is a calling. It's what I've dreamed of.

I agree with you on this, however I must add my $.02... Not too long ago, I was considering flying Marines over Navy. I went to MC JROTC in high school, and my instructors were some of the best people I had the privilege of knowing. And from what I see being a career Marine like them is also a calling unto itself.
Take that into account as you make your decision.

The main reason I was thinking Marines is because I had assumed (although I may be incorrect) that they had more "attack" aircraft to choose from, thus increasing my chances of being in some type of attack aircraft myself.

Also remember that a huge portion of the Marine Corps' attack aircraft are Rotary-winged Cobras and Hueys.

And proportionately speaking, the Marines do have less aircraft overall in relation to the Navy. A reminder of how they do much more with much less than anyone else.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
If you absolutely want to get into a fighter/attack, you might want to look into the ANG. You fly whatever the squadron you join is currently flying. Just another option.

I did a search for ANG, but it brought nothing up. Where can I find info on this?

I'd love to fly a Cobra and to a lesser extent I'd like flying a Huey as well.

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
Lol, yes Joint Strike Fighter... I know what the acronym is. But I don't like the Air Force (No offense... I think it's the uniform...) and I'd rather not to army, but I'm totally game for Navy or Marines. My dad was Navy, his dad was Navy.

:confused: My $.02, don't let anyone else know that.

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
If you want info on who flies what, try this (its got cool pictures). CNATRA 21 will give you some info on the training pipeline.

Theres nothing wrong with "dreaming" about flying the JSF, but I think it may be the wrong attitude. You dont sign up to fly the JSF, you sign up to be a naval officer. You can work hard to achieve your dreams, but in the end you are a small piece of a big machine, and you have to be willing to go where you are sent. That said, go for it.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
The aviation part isn't hugely different between the Navy and Marine Corps, at least on the FW side. The cultures of the services are more different, but not as different as the air force.

Could you please give any specific examples?

MasterBates

Don't go Marine Corps, those guys just climb sheer mountain face with their bare hands!

Not without running afoul of the TRA mafia.

If you do most anything depicted in a recruiting commercial, to include:
Freeclimbing
Battling Lava Monsters
Jumping out of planes

They will be upset.

phrogpilot73

This has been covered ad naseum before. However, I'll break it down Barney style for you. When it comes time for an out of cockpit tour - which would you prefer:

1. Sleeping in a bed with clean sheets, 3 hot meals a day, and living on board a ship?

OR

2. Looking forward to sleeping in a bed, after sleeping on the ground for 2 weeks, praying for a "good" MRE, smelling worse than you've ever smelled before, while possibly being shot at by insurgents?

If you prefer number 1, go Navy. If you think number 2 sounds sweet, go Marines.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Could you please give any specific examples?

***WARNING-GENERALIZATIONS TO FOLLOW***

The Marine Corps is more concerned with leadership, physical conditioning, uniformity, discipline, and motivation. We are more expeditionary in nature, rely heavily on small units leadership, and generally have more of a "ready to fight 24/7 mindset". We are less seperated by MOS with the "Every Marine a Rifleman" mentality.

The Navy, while certainly concerned with the items above, cares more about education, higher levels of responsibility (command, etc), and specialty training. They are far more subdivided by MOS groups (subs, aviation, surface, SpecWar, etc). They also have a "shore duty/sea duty" mindset when it comes to deployments.

***THIS WAS NOT MEANT TO START A FLAME WAR OR DENIGRATE ANY SERVICE***