• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deja Vu - the Mega oft-repeated question: Differences Between USMC and Naval Aviation

81montedriver

pilot
Ask youself this question; do you want to be in the Navy or the Marine Corps? You need to answer that question first before you should think about committin to flight school/OCS/ROTC, etc.

Since 50% of all naval aviators are helo pilots and (I'm guessing based on numbers) that the Marines have a higher precentage going helos, you need to consider:
1) You are looking at a military career, so you need to figure out what service you would like to be with for at least 10 years.
2) You are most likley NOT going to be a fighter pilot. The sooner you come to grips with reality, the sooner you can make an informed decision about a military career.

Do you have a chance to become a fight pilot, assuming you get into flight school, yes. Are the odds in your favor, NO!!!
You can "bust your hump" all you want, but some folks just can't grasp flying soon enough to make the grade to get jets.

So, you need to ask yourself, when you're doing a tour out of the cockpit, what service do you wish to be in; once you answer that, then you'll have your answer.

This is completely true. The odds are not in your favor. Many people who enter flight school share your enthusiasm for fighters and hope to select them after primary. For a majority of students, this changes after they go through aerobatics. During this phase, you get to experience lots of manuevers such as loops and spins that let your body experience some new things such as disorientation and air sickness. Some of this goes away, some doesn't but ultimately it changes alot of students' minds.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Doesn't every tactical aircraft have a "gun", regardless of service? I wouldn't be a very good tactical aircraft without a "gun."

Well, then EVERY tactical aircraft in EVERY service has a gun, which somewhat negates the ooh-rah-ness of Tulip's statement.

BTW,"Tulip?!?"

I think everyone is missing the easiest answer to this guy's question:

The one that is better is the one you get accepted to.

If you want to fly military, then apply to both and see which one you get accepted to. If you get accepted to both, then you should start worrying about the question of "which one is best for you."

Reconjoe

I think everyone is missing the easiest answer to this guy's question:

The one that is better is the one you get accepted to.

If you want to fly military, then apply to both and see which one you get accepted to. If you get accepted to both, then you should start worrying about the question of "which one is best for you."

......in which case we're back to the exact same debate that was going on?

Whoever it was that said pick the service that you would rather work for OUTSIDE the cockpit said it better than I've ever heard it before.

But For-The-Win I think you'll like the way you look in Dress Blues....

TexasZJ1

There are always trash talkers about flying fo the Navy or Marine Corps. How about you join the military first, pass IFS and API...worry about fighters when you've done something.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
There are always trash talkers about flying fo the Navy or Marine Corps. How about you join the military first, pass IFS and API...worry about fighters when you've done something.

There is nothing wrong with having goals. Almost all of the dudes I know here in Kingsville or Meridian, with a handful of exceptions, knew they wanted to fly jets before they even started API. Premature without having much, if any, experience in the air? Perhaps. But it was that attitude that allowed most of them to get where they wanted to go.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
(a) If you want to fly dirty, totally beat-to-shit a/c, join the Marine Corps;
(b) If you want to fly dirty, but pretty well-maintained a/c, join the Navy;
(c) If you want to fly very clean, very well-maintained a/c, join the USAF.*

That's as simple as I can make it.

* = But I can't say much for the working environment you'll be in.