• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC Gouge for those about to commission as a DCO

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
The ONLY thing that will get you sent home is showing up to DCOIC outside of the height/weight/body fat standards. And yes, they will ship you home the same day if you are outside of the height/weight/body fat standards. Period.
So - the Command Fitness Officer who did my BCA @ Great Lakes advised me that making BF will suffice, if I was 'close' on H/W. I'm short and pretty stocky, and will never see 165 again. 175 has been my best to date, but easily cleared 19% BF. Is that true? Just don't want to get sent home from Newport.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
At DCO you have to pass either the height/weight OR the tape, which both "measure" your BF, albeit rather poorly. If you do not pass the height/weight, then you get taped. If you fail the tape, they send you home.

google Navy height weight standards

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
At DCO you have to pass either the height/weight OR the tape, which both "measure" your BF, albeit rather poorly. If you do not pass the height/weight, then you get taped. If you fail the tape, they send you home.
Thanks, Bubblehead. I can breathe again.

Admittedly, the 'measurement' is a soft one, but likely meant to accomodate fellows like me who are proportionally short but solid. The CFO mentioned that more than 'just a few' men (women, not so much) fall into that particular category. At least my numbers weren't 'borderline' (e.g. 22.5% vs. a clear 19%).

Like others have said, the only things that sucked while I was there were very little sleep and having to deal with a couple of douche-bags who were in my class. Other than that, easy day.
I imagine every class will have at least one. (Sleepless nights, I mean...) ;)

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Thanks Das.

Oh yeah. Das, when your in NAS Pensacola next week, hit up the new Navy Museum near the back gate. Amazing flight simulator stuff in there.

A "new" museum? Do you mean the National Naval Aviation Museum? If so, it's not "new," having opened in 1963.

das

Contributor
A "new" museum? Do you mean the National Naval Aviation Museum? If so, it's not "new," having opened in 1963.

I'm guessing he meant "new" in the sense that there were new exhibits (like the new 55,000 sq. ft. annex) and other projects in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Naval Aviation. Yes I did go, and yes, it was awesome.

OEF_CBVet728

Hello all,
I found out today I was selected for 1635-Intel (my second attempt). I'm currently an Enlisted Seabee (E-6) with 7 years in/ Afghanistan Vet. What I'm curious about is the timeline (from now to Commissioning to DCOIC, etc...) What happens in that time? I've heard that from this point to actual Commissioning is several months, but my Recruiter already sent over my Conditional Release to sign and send up my chain. Really looking forward to getting started on this new endeavor, as I've spent the last year hearing other recruiters say I didn't have a shot at 1635- but I still have loose ends to tie up at my current command. Right now I'm LPO of our BN Comm Shop, LPO of our NOSC Det and I moonlight with the S7 Shop doing BCS training and Comm training. I'd hate to leave my BN dropping a mountain of work on the laps of my team, mostly guys I've been to Afghan with and I really want to set my replacements up for success. I mean no arrogance at all in this- but I do a lot for the BN and I really don't want to screw over these guys that I consider brothers. Believe me, everyone on my team, my Det and even my superiors including the CO know I have been working towards a Commission as an Intel Officer and they have all been hoping for me to get this. I'm sure the answers to all of this is somewhere out there and I will look, but figured it can't hurt to post on here and get some gouge from other Enlisted folks w/ lots of jobs that did the same exact thing. This is my first day on these boards and there is a ton of great information here. Looking forward to learning more from others who've been there done that. Oo-rah!

Devil Duck

OEF_CBVet728, welcome to the fold. Took me about four months from selection to commission. Have seen others commission in two weeks. Don't really know the calculus. Cross fingers that you'll commission soon. Recommend getting on the DCO quota control page to request a seat as soon as possible - you don't need to wait for commissioning.

You need to divest yourself of current duties quickly. Assume you'll be gone any day. Don't offer to do anything after you leave - you'll have a new problem set and must commit to your training and development.

Believe you'll find there really is no typical 1835. The board usually does a pretty good job at diversification.

Standby for training and development. Start with DCO & NIOBC, then move on to PQS for INTEL O & IDWO - a whole new problem set compared to your previous experience. Good luck. SF, DD

theoldnavy

OK, I got the word this week that I was selected 1635 and have a few questions. I have heard from several friends of mine who are active duty intel Os that instead of doping the basic intel course on drill weekends I can get a slot at the NIOBC that the active duty goes thru and complete the 20 week course. I would much prefer to do this.(I live about 3 miles from DamNeck) Anyone know the process or how difficult it is? My recruiter said he didn't know if that was available (but I trust my buddies a great deal more).

Thanks for the info on these threads... really made it much easier to understand the process

Devil Duck

I have heard from several friends of mine who are active duty intel Os that instead of doping the basic intel course on drill weekends I can get a slot at the NIOBC that the active duty goes thru and complete the 20 week course. I would much prefer to do this.
It's possible, and entirely up to your IDC region. First commission, then go to DCOIC as soon as possible. You can begin engaging your unit now. Feel free to show some initiative and contact your Training Officer. Let the TO know your tentative timeline, and that you'd like to do the AD course.

When I went through NIOBC-RES, the NIRR had a certain number of AD slots that were all spoken for. Didn't matter too much to me as I didn't want to take the time off work.

Consider this: if you do NIOBC-RES you'll be a LTJG before your eligible for MOB. With the AD school, you'll be ready to MOB by up to month 9 after commission, assuming you've completed DCO school.

I appreciate your forward leaningness. Lean too far forward and you'll fall.

I'm very impatient when it comes to training and development. I pressed through the self-passed NIOBC-RES as fast as the instructors would allow. As soon as I got my 9600, about a month after graduating I volunteered for ADT orders specifically to work on PQS. Was able to finish both PQSs as an ensign - an accomplishment for any Intel O AC/RC. Getting qual'd pushed me above my peers on the MOB list. I'm currently deployed on 400 day orders. I'm excited to be in the mix, but be careful for what you ask for. Consider 2d/3d order effects.

theoldnavy

Thanks for the info Devil Duck. I think I am in the same boat as far as the training cycle. It seems silly to take 2-3 years to get completely qualified. I am former enlisted, work in the field already, and have the flexibility with my work (defense contractor) to do the AD school. This feels like active duty again and I haven't even started. I'm pumping people in ADMIN to work faster and do paperwork and they seem to be dragging their feet.
One more question. Did you get to pick your unit and field (strike, op intel, ground, etc) or were you simply put in a command and MOBed?
Also, if anyone has questions about the DCO 1635 package and interview process, I can try to help out with my experience.

Devil Duck

Couple things, first intel o is 1835 - that changed over a year ago.

PQS will take time, likely 2-3 years post NIOBC, unless you're on AD orders. You have five years from NIOBC to finish IDWO.

If you're a former AD IS you should get a pass on NIOBC and only need to complete the two week capstone.

You can volunteer for MOB, however CNRIC policy says you have to have your pin to volunteer. Reality is there are a ton of JOs out there who haven't MOB'd - they are all well above you on the short list.

I came down on by name request orders.

theoldnavy

Thanks for the tips. I wasn't aware of the designation # change. I am just trying to guage what to expect in this process and how best to streamline it. I will have to take the NIOBC, as I was an OS before and have been a civilian for 8 plus years. Now that I'm in the process, I have the urge to move it up faster and get working. Guess I should temper that a bit. Thanks again Devil Duck. I will start working on getting a hold on my training oofficer and making sure my ducks are in a row.

das

Contributor
Thanks for the tips. I wasn't aware of the designation # change. I am just trying to guage what to expect in this process and how best to streamline it. I will have to take the NIOBC, as I was an OS before and have been a civilian for 8 plus years. Now that I'm in the process, I have the urge to move it up faster and get working. Guess I should temper that a bit. Thanks again Devil Duck. I will start working on getting a hold on my training oofficer and making sure my ducks are in a row.

Since you just get picked up for INTEL, check out a lot of IDC resources at http://IDCsync.org — including things like designators changing, memos from IDC leadership, etc. — and join the conversation on Facebook or Google+ as well!

OHNavy

Truckin'
For those who recently attended DCOIC, what was your experience with first salutes and the silver dollar tradition? I obviously want to do this right, so an actual American eagle silver dollar is what I plan giving. Won't be at DCOIC until likely the spring, however was going to put in one coin order since I’ll need one (hopefully) in January for my quick/simple commissioning ceremony if COMDOCs get here next month.

Considering the cost of silver dollars today (near $50 seems common), how many should I plan on bringing? More than thrilled and honored to “pay up”. Just want to be sure I am prepared if this is also a tradition at DCOIC.

With precious metal prices, maybe having a few unused extras wouldn’t hurt.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
There are limited slots for the Active Duty NIOBC course and there are dozens of folks trying... If this is something that you want to do, you have to bring it up as soon as possible.