• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC Gouge for those about to commission as a DCO

kurowashi9

OH Navy, in response to your post :

For those who recently attended DCOIC, what was your experience with first salutes and the silver dollar tradition? I obviously want to do this right, so an actual American eagle silver dollar is what I plan giving. Won't be at DCOIC until likely the spring, however was going to put in one coin order since I’ll need one (hopefully) in January for my quick/simple commissioning ceremony if COMDOCs get here next month.

Considering the cost of silver dollars today (near $50 seems common), how many should I plan on bringing? More than thrilled and honored to “pay up”. Just want to be sure I am prepared if this is also a tradition at DCOIC.

With precious metal prices, maybe having a few unused extras wouldn’t hurt.

I have experienced a "first salute" and haven't actually been to DCOIC yet. Many may experience a "first salute" long before DCOIC, because you are actually commissioned before you go. My firsto salute was one of my shipmates (my mentee) who I served with on the enlisted side. I presented her with a Silver Eagle and was very glad to do so. She is one of the most outstanding sailors in my unit and out performs or is highly competive with those at her level and /or more senior to her.

I had two coins, a regular silver dollar, an old Susan B. Anthony type (98% silver, over 20ys old) and I had an uncirculated Silver Eagle (100% Silver). At the time of the salute,I chose to present her with the Silver Eagle. It was a pleasure presenting that one, and I didn't mind giving away that $50 coin. As mentioned before she was a "top performer" and a hard charger. I know that she will do great things. And that one experience may be just the thing that will push and motivate her to do the same or mentor the next person to be bigger and better. I know that it meant a lot to my junior and the experience will be cherished. But on the same token, this is a "first salute", and the experience for you is just as important.

You can't get it back. So, what I am saying is that you have to use your better judgement on that one. In a nutshell, it doesn't matter if it is a 20 year silver dollar or if it is one of the rare uncirculated $50 coins. Just as long as it is a silver dollar. Its your experience. I didn't mean to be long winded about it, but wanted to share my experience to give you a little depth and perspective of how you may want to proceed for your first experience. Let me know if you need anything. I was enlisted for over 12 years and could help answer any question or give another perspective for you or anyone else. I am still navigating through this process as well.

kurowashi9

OH NAVY,

My ceremony was kind of private (without the unit) due to a large retirement ceremony going on that day. I forgot to mention that for my ceremony there were some Masterchiefs and Chiefs there. And I found it quite ironic that the main hard charger in the unit, my mentee, was present for my ceremony and was in place to receive the first salute........(hint). Got to love the Chiefs' mess.

OHNavy

Truckin'
kurowashi9:

Appreciate the insight and sharing your experience with the first salute and ceremony. Makes sense on the first salute happening before DCOIC. A post on another site had me wondering, so thanks for clarifying.

There's a fellow first class I have in mind for the first salute. I'll be sure to hook him up with a nice, 100% silver coin. That's the least I can do to say thanks for the support he has always given me.

AVG

Additional Info RE: DCOIC.

Travel:
Try to get a direct flight to either Newport or Boston. I flew from DFW to Boston. Less hassle on a direct flight.
Travel on Saturday, NOT on Sunday (unless you live close by)

Uniforms:
Recommend you do NOT alter your Service Dress uniform. I payed the NEX locally to alter mine. When I got there, I needed to pay AGAIN.
Depending on weather, you may need long sleeve PT shirts, be prepared!
Seabag, if you dont have one, get one. Its always good to have a seabag.

Records:
You dont need your medical record. However, its better to have it and not need it. I didnt take mine.
Ensure your Page 2 is up to date in NSIPS

Academics:
Complete the NKO courses before you get there.
Study the Memorization Items listed here.
Presentations can be found zip in the links below:
https://private.navyreserve.navy.mil/CNIRC/KnowledgeSharing/DCO_Part1/Forms/AllItems.aspx
https://private.navyreserve.navy.mil/CNIRC/KnowledgeSharing/DCO_Part2/Forms/AllItems.aspx

PT/BCA:
Ensure that you are within standards. If you need to be taped, be under 20% just in case. Don't risk it.
PRT is not official.
PT is fun :)

Morning Routine:
Wake up was at 4:30. Our Chief woke us up. First day you may or may not sleep. By Wednesday you WILL sleep :)
PT
Shower

Swim Qual.
No worries. If you fail, you will try again on a daily bases. If you CANT pass, then OTCN will hold on to your cert of completion until you get certified as a Third Class Swimmer.

Money:
Bring LOTS of Cash :) $300 You need to pay for Food, shirts, class dinner, gifts, etc. It all adds up. No, you DO NOT get per diem there.

Inspection:
Your shipmates will help you out, and look out for you. Study and be ready!

Laundry:
You can wash almost every night, if you choose to.

First Week:
Learn to function as a team. The quicker you do this, the less yelling there will be. No matter what you do, there will be yelling. You will be yelled at.
Know and Accept, the CHIEF is AWAYS RIGHT! :D

Second Week:
It seems all you do is eat!
Less yelling, more preping for Service Dress Inspection. More mentoring.

Last advise:
Take deep breath and focus. It's only 2 weeks.

OHNavy

Truckin'
Additional Info RE: DCOIC.

Travel:
Travel on Saturday, NOT on Sunday (unless you live close by)

Uniforms:
Recommend you do NOT alter your Service Dress uniform. I payed the NEX locally to alter mine. When I got there, I needed to pay AGAIN.

Solid post AVG. Thanks! Two follow-ups:

Travel - are you sure they are cool with folks showing up SAT?
Uniforms - were your SDBs jacked up by the local NEX? Why would you have to pay again? Curious since my SDBs are also good to go.

AVG

Solid post AVG. Thanks! Two follow-ups:

Travel - are you sure they are cool with folks showing up SAT?
Uniforms - were your SDBs jacked up by the local NEX? Why would you have to pay again? Curious since my SDBs are also good to go.

Travel: Yes, many of the DCOs that were there got there on SAT. You may call to confirm.
Uniforms: The first change to my SDB was done by the local shop at JRB Fort Worth. When I got to Newport I was told by their NEX that I needed them redone. I had to pay for them to be redone. :(

During DCOIC you will have a scheduled visit to the NEX. You will try on your SDB and they will tell you if you are G2G.

Parking: Park Behind the Chapel. Walk to King Hall.

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
Travel: Yes, many of the DCOs that were there got there on SAT. You may call to confirm.
Uniforms: The first change to my SDB was done by the local shop at JRB Fort Worth. When I got to Newport I was told by their NEX that I needed them redone. I had to pay for them to be redone. :(

During DCOIC you will have a scheduled visit to the NEX. You will try on your SDB and they will tell you if you are G2G.

Parking: Park Behind the Chapel. Walk to King Hall.

AVG is correct you CAN ARRIVE on Saturday. I did and it makes life a lot easier.

BTW thank you for the ride to the Airport after DCOIC AVG. I was able to catch an eariler flight and got back to P'Cola 4 hours early

navy nurse

Good gouge here, I'll be going SEP 2013. I am prior enlisted (Navy and Army National Guard), then got commissioned in the Army and now back to the Navy

bryanteagle6

If Commissioned in May, is it possible to make the July DCOIC class?! Also, would you recommend it, or would you wait a few more months?!

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Honestly it would be REALLY hard to make the July class. Commissioning is one thing but then your paperwork needs to get filed, you need to be gained by your NOSC and then you need to get populated in all of the systems AND get orders. Couple that with the fact that DCOIC classes tend to fill up quickly (we had people on the waiting list when I went) I think July might be a bit ambitious.

Personally, I think going to DCOIC immediately or drilling for a few months depends on your unit. I drilled for 4 months before I attended DCOIC and I think it was of a great benefit. I think having a sense of what you don't know makes you pay attention a bit more when you are at DCOIC. The drilling helped me use DCOIC to fill in the blanks so to speak. I can also see how doing it quickly would be a benefit. It would help to get it done and then be productive ASAP. It all depends...

das

Contributor
It would be very hard to make the July class...if there is even a slot available. The DCOIC quota manager WILL give people quotas before they are commissioned (or, at least did in late 2010). My personal recommendation is to get to DCOIC as soon as possible and be done with it. Chances are you'll end up drilling 2-3 months before you get to go to DCOIC anyway.

RaginCajun

Agreed. I was commissioned Oct, gained into the NOSC/unit in December, put in quota for DCOIC in Jan, and went in March. No one had seen the process move THAT fast before at my unit.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
Do You have a CAC and can get to the Reserve Homeport? Any specific questions? I have a buddy there now.