• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC Gouge for those about to commission as a DCO

3912DCO

Ok, any good workouts that people know of for the PRT? I have been in for 7yrs but need to get back in a little better shape. Never failed a PRT yet, but there is always a first. Any links to some would be great!

Boom,
I'll address my response more to the NPS people and hopefully you'll find a tid-bit or two that would be of value to you too. :)

My first piece of advice is to focus on maxing-out your push-ups and sit-ups. This is NOT an unreasonable goal for anyone. If you get 100% on those two and score the minimum on the run, your overall score will still be in the 85% range.

Here are some of the workouts that I really found helped me as I prepared for Navy Ground Intel School (3912NEC) which, many of the intel-types will learn, is physically demanding.

The PT Pyramid, which is really great because it encourages you to push yourself to failure, which means you push your body to its limits and thus, as you do that, you begin to push your body to NEW limits and increase the number of reps you can do during your test.

The Supersets Workout is nice because it gets you to work the muscles "around" the ones you want to focus on for your PRT. I was told this is a great workout to incorporate because it focuses, first, on the complete athlete (as opposed to just becoming a push-up and sit-up machine). Secondly it can really help you to achieve the goal of maxing-out push-ups and sit-ups because, as you reach a higher number of reps, the main muscles you use will begin to fatigue and you will rely on these other muscles a lot more.

Here is a great plan to take some time off of your PRT run. The great thing about this article is it has tracks for beginners and advanced runners. We did the 1/4 mile speed training workouts on Fridays at Ground School and my 1 1/2 mile PRT time went from (when I arrived) my fastest time ever of 10:28 down to 9:53, 8-weeks later, just before graduation. Some people took as much as 3:00 minutes off of their times by the end of the school.

The Push-up Push Workout is a workout you will do a month or so (a little less) before you are suppose to take a PRT and you will find it really gives you a nice jump in the total number of push-ups you can do. Be very careful with this workout. Listen to your body. Your muscles will ache and burn but you can really stress your tendons. If you feel pain other than the usual tough-workout-muscle-pain, stop immediately. I have had really great luck with this workout. You will feel amazing during the 10-days of doing it and it really will improve your push-ups.

There's my 2-cents. I would love to hear some suggestions as I would love to incorporate some new things into my work-outs; it can be tough to keep it interesting.

Oh yeah, last piece of advice, get an MP3 player or iPod. Working out can be really boring and having your favorite tunes or a good audio book can really help the time pass.

3912DCO

Looks like the DCOIC Quota Control page has been updated and now the May course is the only one that is not full. :(

USNGRL

I Couldn't have said that better, myself!!
Yall don't fret. Can't be any worse than boot camp at the Great Lakes in the dead of winter. Been there. Look at the PRT standards and make sure you do good. Run 3 miles instead of a 1.5 miles. Do 75 pushups and 75 situps. Everything else should be good. Floating in the bath tub is different than floating in the pool. Make sure you can float. Everything else should be good minus death by powerpoint. Just remember "you make your own missery".

3912DCO

Just found out I made it into the April DCOIC course, even though the quota control page says Waiting List Only...YES!!!...looking forward to meeting so many of you in person.

X

xxxCharliexxx

I managed a spot in the May 2010 DCOIC #10070.

Question regarding uniforms for DCOIC, do we need the full list detailed in the Excel chart, or the abbreviated list?

Seeing how I'm going in 'summer' I'm trying to push out buying SDBs. Thoughts?

Congrats! I am there now (10060). You need everything on the Excel sheet other than the gloves, cap, and id band (you all have to be uniform and get the same ID band and the gloves and cap won't be necessary). You also need the things on the abbreviated list too...for your season.

SDW will be the authorized dress uniform (we are in SDB and it changes two days before we graduate to SDW).

You will love DCOIC...it's been great! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Charlie

Intel_warrior

I had to change my date for DCOIC from May to July. Still dealing with the wrath of a poor recruiter. I just now was assigned to a unit. I start drilling in May. I had to go around the recruiter to get things straightened out. The recruiter was sent over seas after I swore in at the beginning of Feb. Got all my summer uniforms. We are the drivers of our careers. Good thing is that I am going to a unit that I used to work at. Apologies for not posting.

mrcuento

Just heard from my recruiter today that I received my PQ letter and already on the scrolls. He told me that all that is needed is my final select letter and commissioning documents in the next few weeks. He added that there is a big push to commission all those selected on the last boards prior to the end of the fiscal year.