• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC Gouge for those about to commission as a DCO

mrcuento

Commissioned

My comm docs came in last week and I took the oath this morning. For those that are still waiting, here is my timeline:

Dec 2009 - Contacted recruiter/took ASTB
Feb 2010 - Submitted package/Had interviews at Ft. Gillem, GA
Mar 2010 - IDC boards/Pro-rec'd
May 2010 - Took physical exam with civilian contractor
Jun 2010 - Received PQ/Had a minor problem with my clearance that was not realized until Jul 2010/I already have a TS clearance but had problems with it being passed to DOD
Aug 2010 - completed e-Qip to satisfy requirement
Sep 2010 - Comm Docs came in/Commissioned

I will return to the NOSC on Wednesday to get my CAC and from what I've been told, may begin my first drill in Red Stone Arsenal at Huntsville, AL.

My thanks again to everybody on these forums for all the information. It was an education and a great help in navigating the DCO process. If anybody needs help with anything on this process, please let me know. I would be more than happy to help.

Boston2184

My COMDOCs got lost along the way but resurfaced just in time for me to run over to the Washington DC Navy Yard, meet a CDR I'd never met before and get sworn in while standing in front of the smoking hut in a park. All to make sure I was commissioned before the end of the FY on 30 September. I'm planning on having a more formal ceremony with my aunt who is a retired CAPT and some family present.

In the mean time I thought I'd start up some chatter on FY11 DCOIC classes and who is signing up for which ones. I am going in as an EDO drilling at the NOSC in Baltimore, MD. I haven't been affiliated with a unit yet, just finishing up the last bit of paperwork on that. Have a few questions in with the recruiter that I'm waiting on answers for. Anyone else reading this forum in similar situations?

Mrcuento - shoot out a msg when you pick your DCOIC class. I'm originally from MA so I'm familiar with how brutal winters in the Northeast can be (or can not be as seen recently).

mrcuento

Congratulations to you Boston. I found out this past Wednesday that I haven't been gained yet so couldn't get my CAC. Apparently, NSIPS, who processes our info and enters it into the system is undermanned and behind on the entries, which means I and others have to wait until they get caught up. However, the admin people in NOSC Bessemer were great. They have me squared away with my NMCI account and CAC reader. I'll return later, once gained, to get my CAC, log in to my NMCI account, ensure pay is taken care of, and apply for the Gov't travel card.

Boston, I sent my request to DCOIC a couple of days ago for the February class as my 1st, then March and April as 2nd and 3rd. Just waiting now for the response.

Devil Duck

For you new intel folks there's a new curriculum for NIOBC growing phase one of the course to 18 months. The new course has not yet begun instruction, at the schoolhouse in JAX, and has stopped adding folks to the old course. Seems to be a tactical pause before starting the new instruction. Believe they're waiting on propagation of new courseware, train-the-trainer, pushing out old students, et cetera before commencing the new instruction. Looks like the new course focuses much more on facilitated discussions and more group work with less CBT.

For you folks who need TS/SCI, contact your SSO during as soon as possible to initiate the SSBI. This is separate from the SF86 submitted during the application process. Lean forward and get it done.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
For you new intel folks there's a new curriculum for NIOBC growing phase one of the course to 18 months.
Correct...

I wanted to post the new 9600 NOBC requirements for the new Intel Officers. The 9600 NOBC is required for deployment / mobilization.

The net-net of the changes is that you will be eligible for mobilization in a shorter period of time.

The new, minimum 9600 NOBC requirements:

-- Direct Commission Officer Indoctrination Course (DCIOC)

-- NIOBC-RES. New course will be 18 months

-- NIOBC-RES Phase II at FITCPAC

-- Current SSBI

Requirements that were removed:

-- Security Manager Course

-- 12-month post commission requirement

-- unit production requirement

NREDOOfficer

Boston - Hello. I just got selected as a DCO into the EDO community (Nov 2010 Board). Waiting for my final selection letter and commissioning docs. I dont have any prior service experience and reading these forums has been like drinking from a fire hose of acronyms.
I am also from the DC area and I am assigned to the NAVSEA Strike Force InterOp unit. I put in a request for the March 2011 DCOIC class as my recruiter said I should be able to commission in Jan/Feb.
I did not find folks from the EDO community on this forum. Would love to chat more to discuss next steps etc. Please let me know.

My COMDOCs got lost along the way but resurfaced just in time for me to run over to the Washington DC Navy Yard, meet a CDR I'd never met before and get sworn in while standing in front of the smoking hut in a park. All to make sure I was commissioned before the end of the FY on 30 September. I'm planning on having a more formal ceremony with my aunt who is a retired CAPT and some family present.

In the mean time I thought I'd start up some chatter on FY11 DCOIC classes and who is signing up for which ones. I am going in as an EDO drilling at the NOSC in Baltimore, MD. I haven't been affiliated with a unit yet, just finishing up the last bit of paperwork on that. Have a few questions in with the recruiter that I'm waiting on answers for. Anyone else reading this forum in similar situations?

Mrcuento - shoot out a msg when you pick your DCOIC class. I'm originally from MA so I'm familiar with how brutal winters in the Northeast can be (or can not be as seen recently).

Boston2184

NREDOOfficer - I sent you a message back. Short answer in case any other EDO candidates pop up... EDOs are a small group within the large community of Naval Officers, but as I go through the process of becoming one I am more than happy to share whatever gouge I can that I've learned along the way!

NREDOOfficer

Boston - Thanks for your note. Very true as you cant find much on EDO... Sent you a note as well. Look forward to catching up.
NREDOOfficer - I sent you a message back. Short answer in case any other EDO candidates pop up... EDOs are a small group within the large community of Naval Officers, but as I go through the process of becoming one I am more than happy to share whatever gouge I can that I've learned along the way!

Brian1982

Boom,
I'll address my response more to the NPS people and hopefully you'll find a tid-bit or two that would be of value to you too. :)

My first piece of advice is to focus on maxing-out your push-ups and sit-ups. This is NOT an unreasonable goal for anyone. If you get 100% on those two and score the minimum on the run, your overall score will still be in the 85% range.

Here are some of the workouts that I really found helped me as I prepared for Navy Ground Intel School (3912NEC) which, many of the intel-types will learn, is physically demanding.

The PT Pyramid, which is really great because it encourages you to push yourself to failure, which means you push your body to its limits and thus, as you do that, you begin to push your body to NEW limits and increase the number of reps you can do during your test.

The Supersets Workout is nice because it gets you to work the muscles "around" the ones you want to focus on for your PRT. I was told this is a great workout to incorporate because it focuses, first, on the complete athlete (as opposed to just becoming a push-up and sit-up machine). Secondly it can really help you to achieve the goal of maxing-out push-ups and sit-ups because, as you reach a higher number of reps, the main muscles you use will begin to fatigue and you will rely on these other muscles a lot more.

Here is a great plan to take some time off of your PRT run. The great thing about this article is it has tracks for beginners and advanced runners. We did the 1/4 mile speed training workouts on Fridays at Ground School and my 1 1/2 mile PRT time went from (when I arrived) my fastest time ever of 10:28 down to 9:53, 8-weeks later, just before graduation. Some people took as much as 3:00 minutes off of their times by the end of the school.

The Push-up Push Workout is a workout you will do a month or so (a little less) before you are suppose to take a PRT and you will find it really gives you a nice jump in the total number of push-ups you can do. Be very careful with this workout. Listen to your body. Your muscles will ache and burn but you can really stress your tendons. If you feel pain other than the usual tough-workout-muscle-pain, stop immediately. I have had really great luck with this workout. You will feel amazing during the 10-days of doing it and it really will improve your push-ups.

There's my 2-cents. I would love to hear some suggestions as I would love to incorporate some new things into my work-outs; it can be tough to keep it interesting.

Oh yeah, last piece of advice, get an MP3 player or iPod. Working out can be really boring and having your favorite tunes or a good audio book can really help the time pass.

Is it OK to do push-ups on your fists or will you attract attention such that the Chief will not allow it? What do Navy regulations say?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
That being said, make sure you're able to pass a Navy PRT or two while you're there.
People, please stop stressing.... "Passing" the PRT is not required during DCOIC nor will you be sent home because of it.

You will take a couple of "mock" PRT's, but they are not "officially sanctioned" PRT's that go into your permanent PRIMS (this is where PRT scores are stored) record.

The ONLY thing that will get you sent home is showing up to DCOIC outside of the height/weight/body fat standards. And yes, they will ship you home the same day if you are outside of the height/weight/body fat standards. Period.

Like others have said, the only things that sucked while I was there were very little sleep and having to deal with a couple of douche-bags who were in my class.

Other than that, easy day.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Good learn bubblehead. Do they keep the PRT score for top of the class selections or is it a familarization only type of thing?

das

Contributor
Good learn bubblehead. Do they keep the PRT score for top of the class selections or is it a familarization only type of thing?

In my class, they announced who the highest PRT scorers were, but the academic award at the end was based only on how you scored on the (easy) final computer-based test.

Note that you can elect to use your either PRT at DCOIC as an official PRT as long as your home command's CFL accepts it. I've never heard of one not accepting it. You just need to make sure you get your PRT scores in writing, which they will provide for you if you ask.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Thanks Das.

Oh yeah. Das, when your in NAS Pensacola next week, hit up the new Navy Museum near the back gate. Amazing flight simulator stuff in there.