• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
Also, the argument was previously made on here that cases don’t matter and deaths are the more meaningful statistic. I agree, but don’t more cases mean more spread of the disease, thus leading to more deaths since more people get it? In this case, why is this still spreading despite such high vaccination rates? Are we mandating vaccines for people to save themselves or to save people from other people?

Maine’s case rate is half of what Florida’s was at their peak. Also, look at Maine at a more local level. The areas driving the state case numbers are the areas with significantly lower vaccination numbers than the state average. Beyond that- yes, deaths are the most important stat, and Maine is doing amazingly well there. Vaccinated communities save lives, period.

taxi1

pilot
He’s a 36 year old healthy runner.
Drifting a little bit, but one of my compatriots from a reserve unit was the proverbial late 30s healthy runner, who ran 5Ks and 10Ks all the time, and crushed the PRT each year. Pilot with SWA. Then he had a heart issue and was down for over a year, before they did some kind of invasive procedure that allowed him to get back on up status. He still flies, last I checked. Big scare.

His wife was also one of those super fit obsessive runner types. Their together time hobby was going to races. She died of a heart attack mid-run in her late 30s. I sometimes wonder what supplements they took together.

I hope your friend recovers fully.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Maine’s case rate is half of what Florida’s was at their peak. Also, look at Maine at a more local level. The areas driving the state case numbers are the areas with significantly lower vaccination numbers than the state average. Beyond that- yes, deaths are the most important stat, and Maine is doing amazingly well there. Vaccinated communities save lives, period.
Both Maine and Vermont are rural states that implemented social distancing measures through winter of 2020. That worked to minimize the number of cases. Now the population is vaccinated and there are no social distancing measures in place. That also works, due to a lower CFR from immunization.

13% of the overall population has had COVID-19 compared to 6% of the Maine population. The PFR is 0.07%, compared to the national 0.2%.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was raining today but I still walked the 15 yards necessary to my car. Then I drove in the rain. Both decisions flew in the face of my non-zero chance of dying by lightning strike or traffic accident. That’s about the risk a healthy young person faces from covid. Splitting hairs isn’t even accurate to describe what you’re doing because the margins are larger there. The point is that there are consequences to blanket mandates.

He says his doctor told him he’s seen a noticeable increase in young men with his symptoms.
A more accurate analogy might be playing golf as a thunderstorm passed over with observed cloud to ground lightning.

I agree there are consequences to blanket mandates. Not a fan at all. But there are also consequences to not vaccinating. And they can affect more than just yourself. In the case of an airline pilot he can hardly avoid evey high risk person that he might encounter.

Mirage

pilot
And they can affect more than just yourself. In the case of an airline pilot he can hardly avoid evey high risk person that he might encounter.
Yes, they can affect other people who either choose not to get the vax themselves or are vaccinated and therefore at incredibly low risk of being hurt. And the pilot can't avoid them, but they can sure avoid him. Why is it the pilots responsibility to protect high risk person's? Shouldn't the high risk people be responsible for protecting themselves, either through the vax, staying home, or both?

But here we are, going around in circles again.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s what the mask is for.
We all know you don't believe that. Falls flat as sacasim because masks never were an alternative to vaccine. Frequent regular covid tests has been an alternative for some companies and organizations. Testing is an alternative to vaccine in Bidens recent mandate.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
A more accurate analogy might be playing golf as a thunderstorm passed over with observed cloud to ground lightning.

I agree there are consequences to blanket mandates. Not a fan at all. But there are also consequences to not vaccinating. And they can affect more than just yourself. In the case of an airline pilot he can hardly avoid evey high risk person that he might encounter.
Wrong again on risk but I understand your understanding is shaped by your perception of your own risk.

As for coming in contact with other people who gives a shit? Those people are free to eliminate their risk by getting vaccinated. Or they can stay home. Forcing people not at risk to get vaccinated on the utterly false premise of “protecting” others is how lots of useful idiots sign on and advocate nonsense like mandates.

SlickAg

pilot
We all know you don't believe that. Falls flat as sacasim because masks never were an alternative to vaccine. Frequent regular covid tests has been an alternative for some companies and organizations. Testing is an alternative to vaccine in Bidens recent mandate.
I’m not familiar with sacasim. Must be a boomer thing.

But if masks aren’t an alternative to vaccine, why are we forcing kids to wear them?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because they are not taking the vaccine yet? I don't support it and can't understand the reasons.

In any case, in the vast majority of mandatory vax orders to date, wearing a mask does replace the vax. Testing does. Honestly, I don't much understand that either, but it is a fact. Wear a mask instead of getting a jab and you get fired. Test at the prescribed interval and you don't have to get vaccinated.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Drifting a little bit, but one of my compatriots from a reserve unit was the proverbial late 30s healthy runner, who ran 5Ks and 10Ks all the time, and crushed the PRT each year. Pilot with SWA. Then he had a heart issue and was down for over a year, before they did some kind of invasive procedure that allowed him to get back on up status. He still flies, last I checked. Big scare.

His wife was also one of those super fit obsessive runner types. Their together time hobby was going to races. She died of a heart attack mid-run in her late 30s. I sometimes wonder what supplements they took together.

I hope your friend recovers fully.
It’s not uncommon for frequent marathoners and distance runners to get A-fib later in life. Running is exertion on the cardiovascular system… which obviously includes the heart. If you constantly tax that system, it’s like taxing any other organ. Also, some people have barely perceptible heart conditions (e.g. pulmonary hyptertension). Sadly, some teens die each year playing sports never knowing they had a heart condition.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
‘Short and self-limited’ means the course (fancy medicine word for length) of this vaccine reaction is typically less than a week (short) and the underlying pathology (fancy medical word for cause of a disease/illness/physiological abnormality) typically resolves without medical or surgical therapeutic intervention (self-limited.) The common cold, for example is usually short and self-limited. Medications can treat the symptoms (ie reduce pain or inhibit local inflammatory pathways) but don’t or can’t affect the underlying physiological process which caused the episode.

My apologies. I assumed, given the obvious confidence you display about your knowledge of this topic, that you’d be familiar with extremely basic, year one need student type medical terminology. ( assumed it was pericarditis or myocarditis as those are the most frequently reported serious mRNA vaccine side effects involving the heart for the age and gender stratum your “friend” falls under. Again, big words I know -Otis meaning inflammation of, myo- is muscle and per- is the connective lining respectively of the heart “cardo.” Please correct me if I’m mistaken in my assumptions. (We all know what “assume” means lol.)

Terrible to hear I’m off to a bad start. I’m guessing you’re some type of big cheese on this forum? In that case sorry, brother, lol. I did 13 years in the Navy before I got into medicine so didn’t think I needed to prove myself like some frat pledge to a fellow winged dude on a Naval Aviation subforum. But lmk what the pledge process is, happy to elephant walk for ya, or whatever kind of ego massage you require to feel important, boss.

I just assumed (my fault, again!) you were familiar with medicine and the medical sciences based on your frequent and self-assured missives on this topic! Believe me, I won’t make that mistake again.

Please lmk if you have additional questions about clinical vocabulary, the germ theory of disease, why wiping your ass is healthier than just trudging around with a turd in your drawers, or any other elementary medical concepts. (Google is right there, but I got really good scores on my MCAT & boards and I like to show off so also happy to help in that regard!) ? Knowledge ? is power ⚡. ✌?
Thanks for diagnosing my friend over the internet. Your other post is too stupid to ridicule. Go back to lurking.