• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Common Aviation Quotes / Pearls of Wisdom

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
come on guys. why is it whenever i speak my opinion everyone rips my sh!t, but when someone else does, it is considered their opinion?

You're on a web-forum with some combat experienced and non-combat Fleet Aviators alike, as well as student aviators. "You're out of your element, Donny".

You seem like a good kid, just realize that you don't know sh!t about many of these topics. What you learned on Discovery Channel and History Channel may not necessarily be acurate or true. (Not a slam, I STILL watch those channels.)

Sit back and learn from the guys that know. You'll figure out when you should open your mouth and when you shouldn't. If you shouldn't, well, you're going to get b!tch-slapped. It's not cruelty, it's just a lesson.

Trust me, I've been b!tch-slapped on this site, and I'm one of those student aviators.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
So I actually know a P-3 pilot that happened to... He shut downhis engines as per CO/XO's orders, and an hour later, when they tried to start them up again... the engines sputtered, coughed and died.

I love the "I Believe Button"... it got me through college, and it'll get me through flight school...

Turboprops don't sputter and cough.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Fly Navy said:

no, but they can leak, torch, vibrate, overtemp, stagnate, stall, decouple, pitchlock, separate from the aircraft, fail to feather, not to mention catch on fire... oh how i miss the days of counterweights and feathering springs...

IRfly

None
Fly Navy said:
Sit back and learn from the guys that know. You'll figure out when you should open your mouth and when you shouldn't. If you shouldn't, well, you're going to get b!tch-slapped. It's not cruelty, it's just a lesson.

Trust me, I've been b!tch-slapped on this site, and I'm one of those student aviators.

...which is probably why 95% of the posts by FlyNavy on this forum are irrelevant snide remarks, participation in "gang-tackling" someone who has already been shot-down, or outright sucking-up to forum members from whom he hopes to...gain something (?).

As to posting on this forum...The best advice is already given: let the information about flying be posted by the guys who fly. I have another few helpful suggestions:

1) If you haven't spent a minimum of several years active-duty Navy, then you don't know anything about anything, period.

2) The only experience worth anything on this forum, and therefore citable, is military experience.

3) DO NOT cite formal education as a basis for any opinion. When you walk in AW's door, formal education is not only worthless, but incredibly geeky. For a recent example, someone on this forum recently cited his/her bachelor's degree in psychology and was torn to shreds. After all, people with degrees in aerospace engineering and 10 years of flight experience obviously know more about...psychology. The only education worth anything is military education (see number 2).

4) Right-wing political opinion is always, well, right. There's a reason they call it that, you know! Get with the program, geez...

(Maybe one of the mods could do me a favor and move this post over to the recent "qualifications for giving advice" thread...probably a better fit there.)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok Mr High and Mighty BDCP student, we'll get right on that.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
IRfly said:
...which is probably why 95% of the posts by FlyNavy on this forum are irrelevant snide remarks, participation in "gang-tackling" someone who has already been shot-down, or outright sucking-up to forum members from whom he hopes to...gain something (?).

As to posting on this forum...The best advice is already given: let the information about flying be posted by the guys who fly. I have another few helpful suggestions:

1) If you haven't spent a minimum of several years active-duty Navy, then you don't know anything about anything, period.

2) The only experience worth anything on this forum, and therefore citable, is military experience.

3) DO NOT cite formal education as a basis for any opinion. When you walk in AW's door, formal education is not only worthless, but incredibly geeky. For a recent example, someone on this forum recently cited his/her bachelor's degree in psychology and was torn to shreds. After all, people with degrees in aerospace engineering and 10 years of flight experience obviously know more about...psychology. The only education worth anything is military education (see number 2).

4) Right-wing political opinion is always, well, right. There's a reason they call it that, you know! Get with the program, geez...

(Maybe one of the mods could do me a favor and move this post over to the recent "qualifications for giving advice" thread...probably a better fit there.)

Dude, who pissed in your cornflakes? You don't like snide remarks, huh? I say practice what you preach, caballero. You can complain all you want about how things go down on this site, but if you don't like something, why are you resorting to it? Don't make me use the H-word, because I HATE the way "Hypocrite" rolls off my tongue. Damn, I said it. Just makes me feel all dirty...

Personally, I happen to like sarcastic, caustic, borderline offensive humor and unmerciful bullsh!t flag throwing. But hey, that's me. I don't happen to like having it tossed at me all that much, but I'm kind of slow and sometimes that's the only way I learn. I'll tell you what, though: It works. Because I try to have a solid grasp on whatever I'm espousing from my mouth, specifically because I've been shot down.

I know, I know... I really shouldn't post before I've had my coffee in the morning. But my roomate used the last of it, damn it!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fly Navy said:

Oh. Somehow, I think I should've known that. Either way, they didn't start.

God, I love this place... ya learn something new everyday!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love hypocritical BDCP students. They have the largest knowledgebase on this site period.

IRfly, when're you going to grow up? Good luck IF you get a commission, you're going to need it based on your ridiculous posts on this site.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Oh. Somehow, I think I should've known that. Either way, they didn't start.

God, I love this place... ya learn something new everyday!!!

Actually, I had a T700 cough and sputter on me. Sounded like someone was beating on the side of the aircraft. Apparently it was heard up and down the Mayport line. Turns out when in Primary, and that old guy beats on your CPT cockpit, and tells you it's a compressor stall, that's pretty close to reality.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We get slight compressor stalls when firing Zunis sometimes. They sound like little coughs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It was a bad HMU for us...and probably a bad white harness for the DECU. I think those things have a half life of about 2 months.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It will be nice to have a DECU bad or otherwise. Had a friend who got a compressor stall after ingesting a bird, glad it was a sparrow and not something bigger.

Shooting Zunis causes some seizures in the engines. Makes sense when you figure the rocket motor has the same thrust as a A-4 just very briefly.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pearl of wisdom:
If you are going out on an FCF for a post-phase bird and dont find anything wrong on pre-flight you arent being thorough enough

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Regarding the FCF, that is too true. Here's a corollary:

The amount of time it takes someone to do the same quality of FCF is directly proportional to paygrade. There's exceptions that prove the rule, but I swear, O-4s take considerably longer because they have to walk by the XO or CO's office every 20 minutes.

Re: DECU...they're good to go. I just meant the white harness, which seemed to have troubles, I-DECU, DECU or regular.