• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Common Aviation Quotes / Pearls of Wisdom

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you are testing and want a couple of laps in the pattern on the backside the bird wont fly, when you have a million things to do and dont have time to test the bird is ready to go and they need you.

We have EECU right now, DECU coming on the Zulu.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Actually, I had a T700 cough and sputter on me. Sounded like someone was beating on the side of the aircraft. Apparently it was heard up and down the Mayport line. Turns out when in Primary, and that old guy beats on your CPT cockpit, and tells you it's a compressor stall, that's pretty close to reality.

Quite a bit different than the cough and sputter of a piston engine though. Never heard of a compressor stall on startup though... can that happen?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Compressor stalls are very likely on start, that is why there is some form of bleed air valve on engines to vent some of the air out as the blades find the right angle of attack to feed air into the combustion chamber. If that system fails you will experience compressor stalls probably coupled with rapidly rising temps.

Who is teaching these kids???????

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Compressor stalls are very likely on start, that is why there is some form of bleed air valve on engines to vent some of the air out as the blades find the right angle of attack to feed air into the combustion chamber. If that system fails you will experience compressor stalls probably coupled with rapidly rising temps.

Who is teaching these kids???????

I'm retarded. I already knew that. We have a noticeable (on the RPM) bleed-valve on our engine. This is what happens when you don't engage your brain.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Quite a bit different than the cough and sputter of a piston engine though. Never heard of a compressor stall on startup though... can that happen?

In this particular case, the engine seemed to run fine at idle, but when you ran it up to FLY (100%Np), it would start banging like crazy and never reach full power. Don't really remember what the issue was, or if we even knew, but the HMU (high tech version of a FCU) was to blame. Probably wasn't scheduling enough fuel to the right set of vanes.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I'm retarded. I already knew that. We have a noticeable (on the RPM) bleed-valve on our engine. This is what happens when you don't engage your brain.

D'oooooh

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
In this particular case, the engine seemed to run fine at idle, but when you ran it up to FLY (100%Np), it would start banging like crazy and never reach full power. Don't really remember what the issue was, or if we even knew, but the HMU (high tech version of a FCU) was to blame. Probably wasn't scheduling enough fuel to the right set of vanes.

Weird. Suckage.

Had a T-45 yesterday that idled very loud. No real strange vibrations or anything, but it was just a louder than normal idle. Then.. when you brought the power up off idle, it got quieter. Go figure.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Had a T-45 yesterday that idled very loud. No real strange vibrations or anything, but it was just a louder than normal idle. Then.. when you brought the power up off idle, it got quieter. Go figure.
English crap ... designed by the people who brought you beans, bangers, and mash for breakfast.

I had a TR-4 in college that did the same thing. At least you don't have to suffer through English electrics --- Lucas --- the Prince of Darkness... :icon_mi_1

Lawman

None
English crap ... designed by the people who brought you beans, bangers, and mash for breakfast.

I had a TR-4 in college that did the same thing. At least you don't have to suffer through English electrics --- Lucas --- the Prince of Darkness... :icon_mi_1

Used to help my friends dad tear apart his MG's every couple of weeks. And that was the system they supposedly got "right"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Used to help my friends dad tear apart his MG's every couple of weeks. And that was the system they supposedly got "right"

Did they any product right...I remember driving out of apartment complex in PCola and seeing a Marine's TR-7 (remember that whiz bang road machine?) always torn apart for electrical "gripes". I honestly can't remember ever seeing it move "out of spot".

Back to thread topic:

Favorite hard saying of mine was from ultra cool CO of Tomcat FRS to some fresh students: "Look, the only people impressed by fighter pilots are other fighter pilots and boy scouts at airshows"

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
heyjoe said:
"...boy scouts at airshows"
WOW! I suddenly feel like a total dick!

Because it was definitely watching the Blues over China Lake with my Troop, and then talking to a F-14 LT who was mid-transition into F-18Fs after coming back from Iraq that made me want to pursue this as a career and not just some boyhood fascination.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
WOW! I suddenly feel like a total dick!

Because it was definitely watching the Blues over China Lake with my Troop, and then talking to a F-14 LT who was mid-transition into F-18Fs after coming back from Iraq that made me want to pursue this as a career and not just some boyhood fascination.

Naw, it wasn't a putdown, he meant that chicks weren't as impressed as fighter pilots thought they were...this was pre Top Gun movie, but that only got 15 minutes of fame. If you were impressed, as was I when in scouting, then his observation was correct.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Naw, it wasn't a putdown, he meant that chicks weren't as impressed as fighter pilots thought they were...this was pre Top Gun movie, but that only got 15 minutes of fame. If you were impressed, as was I when in scouting, then his observation was correct.

Yeah, chicks seemed to be impressed by aviators period (and maybe military period) and don't care wtf you fly.
There are definitely the jet groupies, helo groupies, etc. though.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
HH-60H said:
Yeah, chicks seemed to be impressed by aviators period (and maybe military period) and don't care wtf you fly.
There are definitely the jet groupies, helo groupies, etc. though.
I've yet to meet a girl who was interested/impressed with my fascination with/knowledge of aircraft... except that fat chick who wanted to go Air Force... <shudder>