• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War revisited

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. Bet the policy didn't allow them actually fly together, just like for CO/XO. Was it hard for B/N to qualify as Tomcat RIO, and vice versa?

CAG got to pick 2 aircraft to fly with CAT 4 RAG Syllabus so they got a modicum of training. I know several CAGs who were B/Ns that loved flying the Tomcat with LANTIRN so they were valued additions.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that true that the pilot bagged this first Tomcat kill later lost his life to A-Hornet during landing mishap on a wet strip? If so, sadly....

Hank Kleeman commanded the RAG afterwards as a bonus command and then commanded VX-4 at Pt Mugu which had Hornets and Tomcats assigned. He chose a Hornet for a trip to Miramar and encountered a wet runway. He started hydroplaning and left runway sticking with the airplane which flipped upside down. He was trapped and died while Crash/Salvage Team tried to safe his seat and extricate him. Note: the RIO (“Amos” Anderson) from the second jet died prematurely in a skiing accident. Dave Venlet (VADM retired; transitioned from RIO to pilot and went to TPS); Larry Mucynski went into reserves.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ed above.
Funny nicknames, both. Your buddy frontman supposedly bench-pressed about 500 Ibs for such nick, or something alike :D How did you earn yours?

I designed a Tomcat T-Shirt after the Libyan Shotdown discussed above. I was at VF-101 at the time. There were no T-Shirts available until I showed up with a box a few days after the shootdown. People went crazy like a sale at Nordstrom’s. One of the instructors was quite amused and jokingly asked if I was really a “Replacement” or a “Hey Joe” (from Naples) who joined the Navy to peddle T-Shirts. He then turned to me and said ....I dub thee, “Hey Joe”!....At the time, I had no idea what a Hey Joe was...it wasn’t until my first Port Call in Naples over a year later that I met the first street vendors who shout “Hey, Joe” incessantly....

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I designed a Tomcat T-Shirt after the Libyan Shotdown discussed above. I was at VF-101 at the time. There were no T-Shirts available until I showed up with a box a few days after the shootdown. People went crazy like a sale at Nordstrom’s. One of the instructors was quite amused and jokingly asked if I was really a “Replacement” or a “Hey Joe” (from Naples) who joined the Navy to peddle T-Shirts. He then turned to me and said ....I dub thee, “Hey Joe”!....At the time, I had no idea what a Hey Joe was...it wasn’t until my first Port Call in Naples over a year later that I met the first street vendors who shout “Hey, Joe” incessantly....

View attachment 26281

You'll be sad to know that as Navy port calls to Naples have dwindled, the Hey Joes are no longer a thing. They have been replaced by African street merchants peddling various knock off items and trinkets. They prey off of tourists instead of Sailors.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll be sad to know that as Navy port calls to Naples have dwindled, the Hey Joes are no longer a thing. They have been replaced by African street merchants peddling various knock off items and trinkets. They prey off of tourists instead of Sailors.
The best part of Naples is the train station that leads to Rome. Naples is a shitheap, or was last time I was there.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I watched the New Year come in on the flightdeck of CVN-68 in Naples Bay in 1980. Watching the city was like watching a war zone. It was better than any 4th of July I've ever experienced. By 00:30, the smoke over the city was so thick, the buildings were indistinguishable. And the Neapolitans had a strange tradition of throwing out anything they had grown tired of. Some of the city streets the next morning were impassable due to the furniture, junk, and trash that were thrown out of windows and doors.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too

Well, you deserved your nickname fairly. Very nice stuff indeed. Bet somebody in USN saw the Shooters dancing along the cats in these your T-Shirts ?

They have been replaced by African street merchants peddling various knock off items and trinkets.
The best part of Naples is the train station that leads to Rome. Naples is a shitheap, or was last time I was there.
And the Neapolitans had a strange tradition of throwing out anything they had grown tired of.

Have been told Naples nowadays is twin-sister to Marseilles: first and last person you see is migrant. Everyone in between too. Milano and Venice not so, at least last year.