• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War revisited

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have been going through old slides from my Tomcat days to assist an author researching Tu-95RTs Bear D encounters over North Sea at height of Cold War. Thanks to loan of a nice scanner, a few unpolished gems have emerged out of my neglected “Shoebox” where I put the outtakes. The latest after market driver for the Nikon Scanner takes away the ravages of time, dust, etc. thought I would share....26074

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ocean Safari 85. Another Tu-95RTs Bear D high above the North Sea searching for USS America which was hidden from radar by operating in Vestfjord near sheer cliffs that shielded her from the Big Bulge radar. This occurred during a huge NATO exercise with allies trying to target us as well. Much fun was had by all.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our CAG (Jay Johnson) wanted a magazine cover and I was his RIO when he flew with the Diamondbacks so we launched out of Vestfjord together on the big day when the Soviets hit us with waves of Bears and Badgers. This was the result he wanted.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I was really hoping for some great polaroids taken at a range of about two meters. :D

Were the Bears up on guard?
That's something I've always wondered too (I was born too late and I joined several years after the Wall came down). I just figured that just because these things were spelled out in INCSEA didn't prevent strange things from happening anyway, not when you're way out in the middle of the ocean.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Were the Bears up on guard?
We weren’t supposed to talk to them but we did exchange a lot of hand waves. On this day, the tailgunner kept motioning us forward so we obliged and we then saw the front cockpit full of smiling faces and thumbs up Guess they wanted to see us up close and personal. One dude had what looked like a vintage Leica camera. When I provided image I took to an author, by morning he sent me this image taken by member of 392 ODRAP regiment of us...after 35 years 26077

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another close up of a friendly Tu-95RTs during Ocean Safari 85. One thing that surprised me was the sound of those monster Contra-rotating Turboprops that could be heard over our howling ECS. I can’t image what it must have sounded like inside that beast for hours on end. They must all be deaf!!

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We weren’t supposed to talk to them but we did exchange a lot of hand waves. On this day, the tailgunner kept motioning us forward so we obliged and we then saw the front cockpit full of smiling faces and thumbs up Guess they wanted to see us up close and personal. One dude had what looked like a vintage Leica camera. When I provided image I took to an author, by morning he sent me this image taken by member of 392 ODRAP regiment of us...after 35 years
Sounds like you have the makings of a great Hook article....and pictures to boot!

taxi1

pilot
Ocean Safari 85. Another Tu-95RTs Bear D high above the North Sea searching for USS America which was hidden from radar by operating in Vestfjord near sheer cliffs that shielded her from the Big Bulge radar. This occurred during a huge NATO exercise with allies trying to target us as well. Much fun was had by all.
I was there. Great flying.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was really hoping for some great polaroids taken at a range of about two meters. :D

How about this then....My first Tu-95RTs Bear D over North Sea was in 1982 during Northern Wedding 82. Our F-14A Tomcat just happened to have a 2000# TARPS pod slung underneath so we elevated prove the Bear and turned on the KA-99 Panoramic Camera. We had 1000’ of 9x36” frames to get it right (we had no sighting mechanism