• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War revisited

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This is why alien civilizations still don't visit us.
They are, just now, hearing over their Space-Victrola radios some music broadcast from a distant alien outpost called Brant Rock in the mysterious galaxy of Massachusetts.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They are, just now, hearing over their Space-Victrola radios some music broadcast from a distant alien outpost called Brant Rock in the mysterious galaxy of Massachusetts.
By the same token, I'm thinking the aliens lost a lot of interest after the WZAZ broadcast suddenly and mysteriously ceased.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
We submit a report at the end of the year that is a wrap up and has a place for CO's comments. I will say it is not consistently done. I only knew about it as an XO because I had done it as a DH.

https://www.history.navy.mil/resear...on-commands/vfa-strike-fighter-squadrons.html
The Marine Corps takes it fairly seriously. While most command chronologies are never going to be read again, in theory they are sitting at the historical branch in Quantico if someone wants to look something up. Yearly for normal ops, monthly in combat, unclassified and classified submissions.

They also make a big deal about artwork and artifacts in possession of commands being documented and tracked.

Notanaviator

Contributor
”... and on September 25, four sorties were flown with 6.9 flight hours consume... and then on September 26th...”

I’m working through but losing interest in a book proclaiming to be a 'look into the life of an Intruder squadron ready room during Vietnam' etc etc... but reads like this. It's like the author literally paraphrased the command history... summary of one Alpha strike after another. Granted, the tempo those guys had was absurd. Must be weird for GWOT guys to process a mission set that was launching and ten minutes later be dropping ordnance.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’m working through but losing interest in a book proclaiming to be a 'look into the life of an Intruder squadron ready room during Vietnam' etc etc... but reads like this. It's like the author literally paraphrased the command history... summary of one Alpha strike after another. Granted, the tempo those guys had was absurd. Must be weird for GWOT guys to process a mission set that was launching and ten minutes later be dropping ordnance.
Blame the writer, not the history. The story is in there but the author, it seems, doesn’t have the skills to extract it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I see someone has written an annual history report!
Yeah, I recall it being an annual tasker that was a total waste of time. It could be something meaningful and useful and as a Naval History guy I think that would be great. But it's not and it was clearly a process that no one cared enough to either kill or make into something good.

That said, since I recently took my records training, I'd think that flight skeds and related electronic documentation will be far more interesting and useful to future historians.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
This is why alien civilizations still don't visit us.

Because of our attention to detail to administrative tasks?

They also make a big deal about artwork and artifacts in possession of commands being documented and tracked.

This is something the Navy History and Heritage Command does very well. Every item a ship has is catalogued and tagged and then returned to some archive and warehouse somewhere near DC upon the ship's decommissioning. For instance, somewhere in said warehouse is a gold-plated AK-47 from the Wardroom of USS Underwood (FFG 36) [Affectionately referred to as the "Underhood" by all who rode her].

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is something the Navy History and Heritage Command does very well. Every item a ship has is catalogued and tagged and then returned to some archive and warehouse somewhere near DC upon the ship's decommissioning. For instance, somewhere in said warehouse is a gold-plated AK-47 from the Wardroom of USS Underwood (FFG 36) [Affectionately referred to as the "Underhood" by all who rode her].
SkeletalDevotedCondor-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless someone did some last minute metal work, it wasn't gold-plated, but it was still a neat thing to have in the Wardroom.

50042094891_3abca4d775_h.jpg
Looks like a Yugo M70 . . . close cousin to the AKM and also to the civvy version I have in my safe. :)

Did it originate from the Kosovo thing?

Notanaviator

Contributor
Blame the writer, not the history. The story is in there but the author, it seems, doesn’t have the skills to extract it.

For sure - it's clear that VA had a hell of a cruise, I just felt like that wasn't done justice by the author. I've always loved the Intruder - growing up I wore out Flight of the Intruder on VHS. Even thought, in certain ways, it was as pretty a bird as that other Grumman product. Ducks.