• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Aviation Developments

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Chinese PLAAF's Chengdu J-20A multirole stealth fighter appears to be coming off the manufacturing line like sausages -- perhaps on the order of 100 per year. It is a large aircraft -- about 40,000 pounds basic weight and 80,000 pounds max takeoff. Over 200 are believed to be in service and equipping a number of fighter regiments.

Wikipedia is not the definitive authority, of course, but here's a link:

And some photos...
View attachment 39603View attachment 39604

Ummmm, okay?

Worked with a former stealth (sorry, 'low observable') aircraft designer, an Electrical Engineer by trade interestingly enough, and he said the very first thing he thought when he saw the J-20 is "you don't put canards on a 'stealth' aircraft".

Llarry

WRT Guru's suggestion, I have made a request to the mods to make a single thread for Chinese aviation without result. I second the motion.

I have no way to merge previous threads, but intend to add to this thread as applicable. I will probably start a second thread for carrier air developments. Feel better now?

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That is not a stealth aircraft. Advanced and next gen, maybe, but not stealth.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mods, can we just combine all of Llary’s daily posts into one combined thread?
WRT Guru's suggestion, I have made a request to the mods to make a single thread for Chinese aviation without result. I second the motion.

I have no way to merge previous threads, but intend to add to this thread as applicable. I will probably start a second thread for carrier air developments. Feel better now?
Done. @Llarry I only found two recent threads. If there are more, please point them out.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you've put your finger on the Chinese Achilles heel; only recently have they been putting Chinese-designed engines in their aircraft.
It’s why the German Luftwaffe got out of the MiG-29 business in 2003….the Russian Engines were unreliable and the Germans had a hard time getting replacement parts.

Llarry

The forthcoming J-35 PLA Navy strike fighter (first photo) should end up being the mainstay of the PLAN carrier force once their conventional CATOBAR carrier is operational. Along with the KJ-600 AEW aircraft, the Z-20 helicopter in ASW and utility versions (second photo) should round out the air wing. J-35-Fighter-China-PLANAF.jpgZ-20F_prototype.jpg