• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Aviation Developments

BigRed389

None
Ummmm, okay?

Worked with a former stealth (sorry, 'low observable') aircraft designer, an Electrical Engineer by trade interestingly enough, and he said the very first thing he thought when he saw the J-20 is "you don't put canards on a 'stealth' aircraft".
Yeah the LO development types are usually either EE or Applied Physics backgrounds since it’s mainly based on computer modeling of EM waves interacting with the structural design concepts.

He may be absolutely right on the canards…and as a general concept it’s probably not the best idea, but unless his comment is based on a lot of experience of actually trying to play around with that type of geometry and various materials I’d take it with a grain of salt. Because without actually being able to quantify the specific dB hit and at what aspects, it could be one of those things that could be totally correct but still irrelevant.

Don’t get me wrong..from a ship IAMD perspective I’d love for the thing to be a 747 on radar, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
When the word “unexpected” is used in this context it is meant to imply that Xi suddenly realized all his stuff looks just like American stuff…and he’s not happy about that.

Random8145

When the word “unexpected” is used in this context it is meant to imply that Xi suddenly realized all his stuff looks just like American stuff…and he’s not happy about that.

Just curious, but how do you know that is the particular reason?

Also, two removals in quick succession where both guys disappeared? Reminds me of this:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Hell yeah. Let's bring all these airstrips back to life. Philippines, Thailand (Utapao), and others.

I flew over the old Tinian airfield in the mid-2000's while doing MEU training in Guam. The whole complex was being reclaimed by the jungle, so it's probably way worse by now. We did find the bomb pit where Fat Man and Little Boy were loaded into the bellies of the B-29's. The pit was encased in a glass/plastic? shroud for protection. It was cool to see it from a 100' ft hover though, and take pictures.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Hell yeah. Let's bring all these airstrips back to life. Philippines, Thailand (Utapao), and others.

I flew over the old Tinian airfield in the mid-2000's while doing MEU training in Guam. The whole complex was being reclaimed by the jungle, so it's probably way worse by now. We did find the bomb pit where Fat Man and Little Boy were loaded into the bellies of the B-29's. The pit was encased in a glass/plastic? shroud for protection. It was cool to see it from a 100' ft hover though, and take pictures.
I saw “Bockscar” at the Air Force museum at Wright Patt AFB. One of the best military aviation museums I have been to.

Llarry

Hot off the presses -- China appoints a naval officer as Defense Minister. Admiral Dong Jun was Commander of the PLA Navy and was named Defense Minister a couple of days ago. This is significant as it is the first time that a PLAN officer has filled the post. Dong's predecessor was apparently fired for corruption. Does this signal an increased emphasis in the PLA on maritime power?

The PLA traditionally emphasized ground forces. As Chinese military capabilities have grown, there has been a marked shift towards air and naval forces, reflecting an increased emphasis on power projection.

Admiral Dong was born in 1961 and graduated from a naval academy in 1979. His last billet was Commander of the PLA Navy.

The whole issue of corruption in China, including in the military establishment, is another can of worms; suffice it to say that corruption in procurement appears to be standard operating procedure in China.

(Yes, I know this is not an "aviation development" but I am attempting to not clutter the boards with additional threads...)

GroundPounder

I saw “Bockscar” at the Air Force museum at Wright Patt AFB. One of the best military aviation museums I have been to.
I think I've told this on here before, I went to Dayton and as we got closer to Bockscar I could hear a bunch of laughing and hooting like it was a frat party. I got into the line of sight of the crowd ready to do my best old man course correction of who ever was acting so disrespectful right next to this historical object when I observed that the crowd was made up of Japanese teenagers. Not Americans of Japanese decent but kids from Japan. Many ancestors were spun up to about 10,000 RPM in some Japanese graveyard.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Never been, but I've heard it's great and hope to go someday.

I had relayed my story of the bomb pit at Tinian with family and friends. Of course, most know of the Enola Gay; but, I included, couldn't have named the 'Bockscar'.

BigRed389

None
I think I've told this on here before, I went to Dayton and as we got closer to Bockscar I could hear a bunch of laughing and hooting like it was a frat party. I got into the line of sight of the crowd ready to do my best old man course correction of who ever was acting so disrespectful right next to this historical object when I observed that the crowd was made up of Japanese teenagers. Not Americans of Japanese decent but kids from Japan. Many ancestors were spun up to about 10,000 RPM in some Japanese graveyard.
Saw something similar around Enola Gay in VA. Not teenagers, but Japanese tourists, who were absolutely fascinated by the tour guide’s detailed historical background on the plane and crew.