• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Aviation Developments

Llarry

Those wily (and thieving) Chinese Communists continue to get ready for conventional carrier ops.

The Xi'an KJ-600 (K = Kong [Air], J = Jing [Warn]) AEW aircraft looks suspiciously like a Northrop Grumman E-2, with the exception of the tail surfaces, which are damn close. None of the photos are particularly clear yet.

Mark my words, before this thing is over they'll be doing FONOPS off Pearl Harbor and San Diego.

Chinese carrier AEW E-2 copy.jpg

Attachments

• KJ-600 carrier AEW.jpeg
    KJ-600 carrier AEW.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 18

Tumbleweed33

Those wily (and thieving) Chinese Communists continue to get ready for conventional carrier ops.

The Xi'an KJ-600 (K = Kong [Air], J = Jing [Warn]) AEW aircraft looks suspiciously like a Northrop Grumman E-2, with the exception of the tail surfaces, which are damn close. None of the photos are particularly clear yet.

Mark my words, before this thing is over they'll be doing FONOPS off Pearl Harbor and San Diego.

View attachment 38373

Random8145

Not too long ago, I remember reading an article from about 1981 saying that the U.S. defense budget to a good degree supplied the Soviets as well because they were so good at thieving. We'd constantly develop more advanced technology, the Soviets would steal it, and then we'd then develop even more advanced tech, and on and on.

Llarry

A new illustration of the KJ-600 carrier-based AEW aircraft from a Chinese periodical. Note the clever wing folding arrangement -- I wonder how they came up with that idea? ;<PKJ-600 AEW illustration.jpeg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Opening this after being the title, and seeing a Chinese E-2 is certainly not the most surprising thing I have seen this week

I'll say the Soviets had a better "stealing" game. They at least added some of their own engineering to the basic western design they were copying......see the Tupolev SST, and their Valkyrie copy, and perhaps most recently Sukhoi and the Su-57

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Opening this after being the title, and seeing a Chinese E-2 is certainly not the most surprising thing I have seen this week

I'll say the Soviets had a better "stealing" game. They at least added some of their own engineering to the basic western design they were copying......see the Tupolev SST, and their Valkyrie copy, and perhaps most recently Sukhoi and the Su-57
It was reported that yesterday UKR air defenses shot down another Su-34, as well as a Su-30SM. Maybe it's high time they op-check the Su-57 against UKR western air defense systems.

Merry Christmas and Slava Ukraini.

Random8145

I'm sure the Chinese VAW aircraft is not identical, but they should be sending Northrop Grumman a check every time one comes out of the factory, with a bonus for the Grumman Sto-wing folding arrangement.
Pretty sure they have Chinese Humvees too.

Llarry

The Chinese PLAAF's Chengdu J-20A multirole advanced fighter appears to be coming off the manufacturing line like sausages -- perhaps on the order of 100 per year. It is a large aircraft -- about 40,000 pounds basic weight and 80,000 pounds max takeoff. Over 200 are believed to be in service and equipping a number of fighter regiments.

Wikipedia is not the definitive authority, of course, but here's a link:

And some photos...
J-20A PLAAF.jpgJ-20_weps bays.jpg

Last edited: