• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Mishaps

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The infamous T-2C crash. VT-4 paddles showed us that right before going to the boat in the T-2.....:eek:

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That is awful. What boat and when did that happen?

I am not at all familiar with the characteristics of the T-2, why did it flip?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That is awful. What boat and when did that happen?

I am not at all familiar with the characteristics of the T-2, why did it flip?

I believe it was the Lex and as I recall, the AOA was giving false information....installed improperly. So the aircraft was giving the stud (his second pass, first was waved off...at the boat ever) a red chevron, fast indication. Not sure where he was on the ball but he pulled power, adjusted the nose attitude and stalled. He added power but the aircraft was in that area of reverse command so the added power, nose down just made things worse. At least thats what I recall from LSO school...it was a case study when I went through.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I'm pretty sure that was the Lex......wasn't the stud's AOA indexer hosed up ??

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I believe it was the Lex and as I recall, the AOA was giving false information....installed improperly. So the aircraft was giving the stud (his second pass, first was waved off...at the boat ever) a red chevron, fast indication. Not sure where he was on the ball but he pulled power, adjusted the nose attitude and stalled. He added power but the aircraft was in that area of reverse command so the added power, nose down just made things worse. At least thats what I recall from LSO school...it was a case study when I went through.

They showed us that the day before we CQ'd as well. One of my LSOs was one of the studs who blows his canopy at the end of the video.

In addition to the "stuck-fast" AOA didn't they ding the LSO for debriefing on the ball and using non-standard terminology?

It starts with "you were LIG (sic)...turn a little earlier next time" and pretty much ends the pass with "work it on-speed", which the LSO must have meant "you're slow" but the stud interpreted as "you're fast" and corrected accordingly. That was right before the frantic wave-off calls.

It's pretty sickening to watch. That really hammered home the AOA/on-speed checks to me when I was a student.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
They showed us that the day before we CQ'd as well. One of my LSOs was one of the studs who blows his canopy at the end of the video.

In addition to the "stuck-fast" AOA didn't they ding the LSO for debriefing on the ball and using non-standard terminology?

It starts with "you were LIG (sic)...turn a little earlier next time" and pretty much ends the pass with "work it on-speed", which the LSO must have meant "you're slow" but the stud interpreted as "you're fast" and corrected accordingly. That was right before the frantic wave-off calls.

It's pretty sickening to watch. That really hammered home the AOA/on-speed checks to me when I was a student.

I think the worst part was the LSO pretty much debriefs him in the groove...from the start to in the middle or so. Like you say, I think the lingo was messed up as well.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then there's this mishap with our
I am not sure what happened here. Anyone?

Launch bar is down, shuttle isn't attached. Looks like student pilot added power and knocked over the unfortunate ABEAR standing there. i have feeling student pilot didn't fly the rest of CQ det.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Then there's this mishap with our
I am not sure what happened here. Anyone?

Launch bar is down, shuttle isn't attached. Looks like student pilot added power and knocked over the unfortunate ABEAR standing there. i have feeling student pilot didn't fly the rest of CQ det.

Brilliant youtube comment #846215489
i can't see that much damage being caused at that speed

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well .... sometimes you gotta "talk" to a pilot in and around the pattern -- especially STUDs on initial CQ. Or RAG guys on initial night CQ. Or any pilot anytime when it's his "turn in the barrel".

I've done it and there was always a reason -- usually to "caress" the guy and/or smooth his ruffled, excited feathers. You get a feel for how to do this when you've waved thousands. You get a feel for pilots' personalities and response patterns after you've waved them dozens (some hundreds) of times. Sometimes a little TLC is necessary to get the job done.

You should stick to standard calls, especially with new guys. Then everyone understands.

But in the groove??? It's possible to "sweet talk" someone there too, obviously a "debrief" is not desirable. It's always easy to second guess a BOAT accident, especially when you are not involved. It's a tough, unforgiving environment.

Talk the talk; walk the walk .....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^After you reading your post, A4's, it got me thinking. Do LSO's count/log waves?
Not to my knowledge -- we never did. Maybe it's required for qualification today, but not in the ol' days. But we DID keep logbooks wherein the pilots' passes, dates, field, ship, arrestments, etc. were tallied.

But as far as LSO "waves"/passes observed/controlled ... no.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

Without getting into too much detail, the reality of this accident is that the stud shut an engine down in the break (it was his first pass, not his second) and wound up in an adverse yaw departure when he tried to "come left" as per the LSO's correct call. The first mishap board assumed both engines were operating properly and it was a 'stuck red' AOA problem. They also tried to assign blame to the civilian maintenance folks for a supposedly stuck or stiff throttle.

We ran the scenario in the sims a hundred times and a hundred times got the same result. We don't believe he ever realized he had an engine shut down and his 'juice' simply ran out in the middle of the groove. When the LSO's started asking for power and then the wave off call, he got enough power from the good engine to get across the ramp, but not enough to avoid the adverse yaw departure. If you want more details, PM me.

Oh, watch the video closely. The person who was supposed to be in a fully donned 'silver suit' in the event of a fire had her upper half off (she said she was getting too hot) and RAN AWAY after the impact. You can see it clearly on the video.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Without getting into too much detail, the reality of this accident is that the stud shut an engine down in the break (it was his first pass, not his second) and wound up in an adverse yaw departure when he tried to "come left" as per the LSO's correct call. The first mishap board assumed both engines were operating properly and it was a 'stuck red' AOA problem. They also tried to assign blame to the civilian maintenance folks for a supposedly stuck or stiff throttle.

We ran the scenario in the sims a hundred times and a hundred times got the same result. We don't believe he ever realized he had an engine shut down and his 'juice' simply ran out in the middle of the groove. When the LSO's started asking for power and then the wave off call, he got enough power from the good engine to get across the ramp, but not enough to avoid the adverse yaw departure. If you want more details, PM me.

Oh, watch the video closely. The person who was supposed to be in a fully donned 'silver suit' in the event of a fire had her upper half off (she said she was getting too hot) and RAN AWAY after the impact. You can see it clearly on the video.

We had a German Navy pilot instructor in VT-86, who rarely gave out an above, inadvertently shut down an engine in the break at P'cola one time. The stud in the back noticed it immediately and they landed no problem. The pilot gave the stud two aboves, only time he ever did that.

I remember someone mentioning that is was not too uncommon in the T-2, is that true?

P.S. Anything happen to silver suit?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
... But we DID keep logbooks wherein the pilots' passes, dates, field, ship, arrestments, etc. were tallied...
Our LSO used to draw black bats in the margins of his logbook for nights that contained particularly "colorful" passes. You could thumb through his book and instantly see the worst nights of the cruise by the number of drawn black bats on a page. :eek: