• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Mishaps

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
forgive my ignorance Nose, but cocked up, ( like high AOA??), they are fast. Or is different verbage for something else?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
*For the newbies/unwashed/P-3 drivers, any LSO worth his salt does not look at the AOA info during the day. You use aircraft attitude to determine AOA. You "know" what onspeed looks like, if they are cocked up, they are fast, if they are flat (not flat on the G/S, but flat in attitude) they are fast.

Both being "cocked up" and "flat" means they are fast? Why is that? It would seem that being too "cocked up" would mean slow. I don't know, I am just trying to understand.

Also, LSO's have AOA info? Is that some kind of link from the aircraft?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Also, LSO's have AOA info? Is that some kind of link from the aircraft?

I don't have the experience of nose (I waved for exactly 1 and a half deployments) but during the day, we used the sight picture of the aircraft and at night, we used the outside AOA indicator....though once in close, you could often see the attitude of the aircraft.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Gotta say as a former LSO school instructor who has briefed that T-2 mishap many times, I have NEVER heard the single engine piece. Intruder said something about the "first" AMB report, I don't know of any others.

AOA was showing the student fast. Jet was cocked up slow. LSO's said "Work it on speed" (they meant "you are slow"*) which, at the time, was standard phrase (removed from LSO NATOPS after this mishap because it is ambiguous.) There was some discussion about stuck throttles, but IIRC, the LSO school plat analysis showed that he just plain departed. Mishap report dinged the LSOs for the debrief on the ball - but that wasn't that uncommon.

Interested in details on a second MIR.

*For the newbies/unwashed/P-3 drivers, any LSO worth his salt does not look at the AOA info during the day. You use aircraft attitude to determine AOA. You "know" what onspeed looks like, if they are cocked up, they are slow, if they are flat (not flat on the G/S, but flat in attitude) they are fast.

This info just makes me happy in that I'm not totally lost on the whole memory thing.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I don't have the experience of nose (I waved for exactly 1 and a half deployments) but during the day, we used the sight picture of the aircraft and at night, we used the outside AOA indicator....though once in close, you could often see the attitude of the aircraft.

Ok, I get ya. I have heard of the outside AOA indicator, but I had forgotten it. In a strange twist of fate, I have never flown an aircraft with an AOA indicator, so sometimes I don't "get" it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ok, I get ya. I have heard of the outside AOA indicator, but I had forgotten it. In a strange twist of fate, I have never flown an aircraft with an AOA indicator, so sometimes I don't "get" it.

What about the T-34C? It has an AOA indicator.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Looks like this:
fa18c32constrreview1dr_21.jpg

Brett

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
doesn't something flash (amber maybe) on the exterior AOA lights when the tail hook is up or something?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
doesn't something flash (amber maybe) on the exterior AOA lights when the tail hook is up or something?
T-45 and Prowler have a switch which is in either "field"/"touch-and-go" or "arrest". The former gives solid indexers with the hook up. The latter gives blinking indexers which stop blinking when the hook is down. Approach lights for the most part match the indexers.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Gotta say as a former LSO school instructor who has briefed that T-2 mishap many times, I have NEVER heard the single engine piece. Intruder said something about the "first" AMB report......

AOA was showing the student fast. Jet was cocked up slow. LSO's said "Work it on speed" (they meant "you are slow"*) which, at the time, was standard phrase (removed from LSO NATOPS after this mishap because it is ambiguous.) .....
One report?? Two reports?? TEN reports??? I don't know anything, but someone is crazy. :) THAT I do know ....

But: "work it on speed" is crappy terminology. Does that mean "you're slow" or "you're fast"??? It is intuitively obvious that you want to be "on speed", and therefore that particular call is superfluous and bullshit.

"You're fast" or "You're slow" were standard phraseology in the ol' days if the pilot was not working it off, as those calls actually meant something. Too bad it took a crash & burn to figure that out.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Gotta say as a former LSO school instructor who has briefed that T-2 mishap many times, I have NEVER heard the single engine piece. Intruder said something about the "first" AMB report, I don't know of any others.

AOA was showing the student fast. Jet was cocked up slow. LSO's said "Work it on speed" (they meant "you are slow"*) which, at the time, was standard phrase (removed from LSO NATOPS after this mishap because it is ambiguous.) There was some discussion about stuck throttles, but IIRC, the LSO school plat analysis showed that he just plain departed. Mishap report dinged the LSOs for the debrief on the ball - but that wasn't that uncommon.

Interested in details on a second MIR.

*For the newbies/unwashed/P-3 drivers, any LSO worth his salt does not look at the AOA info during the day. You use aircraft attitude to determine AOA. You "know" what onspeed looks like, if they are cocked up, they are slow, if they are flat (not flat on the G/S, but flat in attitude) they are fast.

Re: the silver suit, I don't remember the particulars, but she was held accountable.

Re: the follow-on MIR, I don't recall how it was 'labeled,' but it was somewhere between a JAG and an MIR, for lack of better clarification, and it came about because of likely lawsuits that were trying to lay blame on the civilian contractors (a spoon and a rolled up piece of aluminum foil were found inside the throttle quadrant, which is why the 'first MIR' also gave a stuck throttle as a possible cause to his being slow, and one reason the contractor was targeted.).

One of the pieces that helped us in the sim reconstruction was the recollection of dash three and four (the MP was dash two) that when he broke and they scanned their guages, they were 30-40 kts faster than the briefed break airspeed. The MP had a reputation of coming into the break during FCLPs faster than briefed. He also had told some of his fellow studs that he wasn't going to engage the Idle Stop, which was an SNA's perogative at the ship, though mandatory ashore. If you take the 'break' airspeed and slam the throttles back, inadvertantly shutting one down, and then bring the throttles back up to their 'memorized' position, it's right about the groove that you go fully into the underpowered position, and also explains the yaw and right drift. There were some other factors, but I'd rather discuss them offline.

Conclusion? He was the major reason for the mishap. A little too cocky in close, as an lSO might say.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
He also had told some of his fellow studs that he wasn't going to engage the Idle Stop, which was an SNA's perogative at the ship, though mandatory ashore.
Can you explain this?
I understand this to mean that there is a mechanism that would prevent the throttles from going to shutoff.

If that's correct, why is/was it a pilot "selectable" option. Why was it designed this way? Is that how planes are/were made? Keep in mind I am coming from limited FW experience in but two simple aircraft.

Also, why would it be mandatory for STUDs at the beach vs the boat. What's the rationale for the difference?

I apologize for all these questions, I sound like a newbie. I am getting back into FW flying and I try think about FW ops and the differences between them and RW ops. I've been trying to think about those "things" you don't find in the books.