• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Mishaps

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had heard the story for years at physio trainingabout the guy who punched out when he was chocked and chained because he thought he was going to roll off the deck. One of the Instructors at the last refresher training I did said he always doubted that story until he was able to find it at the Navy Safety Center archives (maybe HJ can shed some light).

I believe it was an F-8 and the slow movement of some yellow gear next to him made him think he was rolling off.

Haven't heard of that incident, but it's certainly plausible. I've had same feeling in a car and on a dark flightdeck.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haven't heard of that incident, but it's certainly plausible. I've had same feeling in a car and on a dark flightdeck.

Is there a way to search for some like me, a plain reservist/not ASO, to look up reports on past aviation accidents? Just curious.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Is there a way to search for some like me, a plain reservist/not ASO, to look up reports on past aviation accidents? Just curious.

Shouldn't where you work as reservist have them in message traffic?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Everything that is publicly accessible is on their website. You have to file a FOIA request to get them to dig into the files. Alternatively, you can contact one of the Code 10 staff to see if anything else is available. I was in there recently and the issue of older mishap info is it was all hand (punchcoded) enetered onto tape drives and pulling data isn't easy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everything that is publicly accessible is on their website. You have to file a FOIA request to get them to dig into the files. Alternatively, you can contact one of the Code 10 staff to see if anything else is available. I was in there recently and the issue of older mishap info is it was all hand (punchcoded) enetered onto tape drives and pulling data isn't easy.

Thanks for the info.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Message traffic goes back only so far........smart ass. ;)

Well, in this instance I was not being a smart ass... :D

What I meant was that aviation safety reports are not released to all commands, for instance where I used to work did not get them, so I was at the mercy of someone forwarding them to me.

I figured where you worked would be an addee to any such messages.

I didn't realize you were looking for mishap traffic from WWII. <---Now smartass :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, in this instance I was not being a smart ass... :D

What I meant was that aviation safety reports are not released to all commands, for instance where I used to work did not get them, so I was at the mercy of someone forwarding them to me.

I figured where you worked would be an addee to any such messages.

I didn't realize you were looking for mishap traffic from WWII. <---Now smartass :D

There is only so much that can be stored in the messaging systems, and everything with the Navy seems to be email and quickly 'archived' nowadays anyways, I just wanted to look up some stuff that was 10 to 20 years old and wondered if there was an easy way to do it.

For example, reports on the VMAQ-2 Prowler that crashed into the Nimitz in 1981 that triggered the current drug testing policy. Call it professional curiosity.

BTW, you will learn all about the government's wonderful messaging systems and all their uses when you finally get off your ass and show up here. ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
BTW, you will learn all about the government's wonderful messaging systems and all their uses when you finally get off your ass and show up here. ;)

Ha! I don't need to do that. I've been searching old message traffic using archaic piecemeal databases for the last 3 years.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

I don't remember the details, but a similar story was told when I went through aviation safety school in Monterey. The flight surgeons have a name for the sensation and, as a pilot on a carrier deck at night, I have been looking down in the cockpit doing stuff and saw movement next to me out of the corner of my eye and put the full court press on my brakes.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I don't remember the details, but a similar story was told when I went through aviation safety school in Monterey. The flight surgeons have a name for the sensation and, as a pilot on a carrier deck at night, I have been looking down in the cockpit doing stuff and saw movement next to me out of the corner of my eye and put the full court press on my brakes.

What is visual/motion parallax?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Don't know, but the more you resist - the more it's gonna stick. Pretty soon you won't be able to log in as Ken, but as Pinto...

I'm not resisting pinto...I just wanted to clarify that I have a camaro. Actually, its starting to grow on me. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Here's a head's-up: no one cares whether or not you are called "Pinto" ... I know I don't.

But back to the subject of the thread, should anyone care:

Bad Day in the CQ pattern ....