• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Mishaps

FastMover

NFO
None
Gotta be honest, when I first read the title I wasn't thinking airplane mishaps on a carrier but actual carrier mishaps. Something along the lines of a carrier running into a bridge, or running aground or colliding with a smaller (and much more unfortunate) boat... :eek:

Not to threadjack here, but my Grandfather was on the USS Wasp when it collided with the minesweeper USS Hobson back in 1952. A large part of the lower bow of the Wasp was ripped off and the Hobson was cut completely in half. Only 61 of the Hobson's crew survived.

wasp1.jpg

hob1.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Do you honestly think Bunk was part of the transit? Puhhhhlease!

Puhhhlease, get back to me when you've done a real cruise, with say night traps like us old COD folks used to do, spending every night on the damn boat for 6 months.........like those real carrier aviators (VF, VFA, VAW, etc). Enjoy your 15 day traps for an entire cruise kmac? :D

phrogpilot73

Hey kid,

Quit while you're only marginally behind. Everyone who has smoke checked you thus far has flown around the boat in jet aircraft. We all know a thing or two more about working around the boat, get it? Basically, take heed and shut face.
And those of us in the rotary wing community aren't going to question the judgment of an aircraft commander. We certainly aren't going to say that he panicked or over-reacted.

Unless of course the aircraft commander was shutdown, chocked and chained, and then decided to punch out. Then we might say "What the fuck was he thinking?" and look over at our suck-and-blow brethren and ask them what would happen to cause him to do that. A.K.A. - we listen and learn...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It's obvious that Bunk's never been part of a flyoff!!:D

I actually heard this conversations once:
601 - "Tower, 601. Up and ready, 52K for the shot home!"
Boss - "601, tower. I think you might want to start that other engine first."

pause

pause

601 - "It's a flyoff boss, we're going whether it starts or not!"

pause

"601, Bridge. Do I need to shut you guys down so we can have a talk?"

601 - "Uh, no Captain, we'll get the engine on-line."

:D In their dreams!!! We had the same attitude during our fly-off's, single engine, we're launching. I know of a former CO during his OIC tour who launched with one bad hydraulic system. Hyd low light on, fuck it, lets go to the beach!! I used to fly with him and he would say, let me know where the ball is when we roll out, I should pick it up somewhere in the middle to in close. He refused to wear glasses when he flew. I think he wore them for night traps though.

Nose

pilot
The A/C was a seasoned 0-4 who had been to test pilot school, so I felt I could trust his judgement at the time, even though it seemed to be an unusual request (to rip off the boot and throw it in the back).

Hey Ken, if you think a dude's judgement is good just because he went to TPS then I would submit that:
a. You haven't met that many TPS grads, and
b. You and I need to have a serious talk. I'll buy the beer.

You MUST have brains to get into TPS and even more to complete it.
But having brains does not in any way, shape, or form mean that you have common sense.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Puhhhlease, get back to me when you've done a real cruise, with say night traps like us old COD folks used to do, spending every night on the damn boat for 6 months.........like those real carrier aviators (VF, VFA, VAW, etc). Enjoy your 15 day traps for an entire cruise kmac? :D

Come on Bunk, I had to go out every night drinking with you! That's painful enough. How many traps are you getting these days? I'm willing to bet the same number as me.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Hey Ken, if you think a dude's judgement is good just because he went to TPS then I would submit that:
a. You haven't met that many TPS grads, and
b. You and I need to have a serious talk. I'll buy the beer.

You MUST have brains to get into TPS and even more to complete it.
But having brains does not in any way, shape, or form mean that you have common sense.

I will take you up on that beer, you name the time and place. Keep in mind I was an 18 year old E-nothing at the time and didn't know any better. I know there is a difference between being book smart and having common sense, which is uncommon these days.

Nose

pilot
I will take you up on that beer, you name the time and place. Keep in mind I was an 18 year old E-nothing at the time and didn't know any better. I know there is a difference between being book smart and having common sense, which is uncommon these days.

Yeah, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that as aircrew you should have told the O-4 to pound sand. Just saying, as you go through your new career, remember, everyone is trying to kill you.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Come on Bunk, I had to go out every night drinking with you! That's painful enough. How many traps are you getting these days? I'm willing to bet the same number as me.

Painful when those young, but hot, Dannish 17 years wanted a piece of the kmac?? It's all about being in the right place at the right time. The Bunk was just at that place.

My trap days are over and done but I assure you, as far as us retards go (COD drivers), I've got more than you...left, right and night. Matter of fact, I think I have more time in left turns than you have at the boat :icon_tong

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that as aircrew you should have told the O-4 to pound sand. Just saying, as you go through your new career, remember, everyone is trying to kill you.

Agreed and I listened to my aircrew, especially the good ones. I had an aircrew, a Chief, one time come up front and shove a decision I was about to make in my face. I was about to make a bad call......granted he was an E-7 but he knew exactly as much Nose said above.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My trap days are over and done but I assure you, as far as us retards go (COD drivers), I've got more than you...left, right and night. Matter of fact, I think I have more time in left turns than you have at the boat :icon_tong

I've got more hair.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless of course the aircraft commander was shutdown, chocked and chained, and then decided to punch out. Then we might say "What the fuck was he thinking?" and look over at our suck-and-blow brethren and ask them what would happen to cause him to do that. A.K.A. - we listen and learn...

I had heard the story for years at physio trainingabout the guy who punched out when he was chocked and chained because he thought he was going to roll off the deck. One of the Instructors at the last refresher training I did said he always doubted that story until he was able to find it at the Navy Safety Center archives (maybe HJ can shed some light).

I believe it was an F-8 and the slow movement of some yellow gear next to him made him think he was rolling off.