• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Mishaps

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
I was forced to ground loop a decathlon after I lost a main gear during landing. sat er down for a wheel landing and it departed the plane. Funny things happen when you are going reasonably fast and you loop...like you end up-side down in the grass.

phrogpilot73

So Mav, do you know if he was stomping on the pedal just before he pulled the black and yellow handle? Nope. That's why you don't speculate...

Brett1

Banned
Hey kid,

Quit while you're only marginally behind. Everyone who has smoke checked you thus far has flown around the boat in jet aircraft. We all know a thing or two more about working around the boat, get it? Basically, take heed and shut face.

Ahh, the torch has been passed....... enjoy.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
I was actually referring to the rudder pedal, not the brake. but as I look back now I realize that he was going way too slow for that to do anything.

...still writing.....
david_koechner.jpg

Just take it easy, Champ. Why don't you stop talking for a while? Maybe sit the next couple of plays out.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was actually referring to the rudder pedal, not the brake. but as I look back now I realize that he was going way too slow for that to do anything.

...still writing.....

You're actually making wannabe's look bad. Ask questions, think, be smart but attempting to make comments about which you know nothing about isn't any of the above. I understand it's the net but certain said things still don't go over well. Maybe you'll understand one day, IF you make it through.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
It is safe to say that a C-2 below decks is definitely broken. It likes to stay off the ship. That's why we have the maintenance determination of "one time shot to the beach."

In my 5 years of being a C-2 crewman, I only saw one in the hangar bay once. On our way to the gulf in 03 the handlers on the Kitty Hawk crashed one of our birds into the other during a move, downing both of them. The stab of one went into the wing of the other. It was a bad scene. Luckily we had a week and a half to kill on the way over anyway, so didn't miss any beach time:D

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Oh, yeah. Nothing more fun than watching the COD guys trying to get off the boat. "We only need one engine...launch 'em!"

Not that I blame them.

You are not kidding! One time we were on deck waiting to launch for so long (wings folded and props spinning) that the exhaust began melting the deice boots off of our wings. By the time we were next in line for the cat, we were taping the left wing boot back on with 100mph tape. finally, the aircraft commander, which was the oic, said "rip it off and throw it in the back!", so we did. So, we launched with no deice boot on the left wing. But we got back to the beach in time to hit up the bars that night!:icon_smil

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You are not kidding! One time we were on deck waiting to launch for so long (wings folded and props spinning) that the exhaust began melting the deice boots off of our wings. By the time we were next in line for the cat, we were taping the left wing boot back on with 100mph tape. finally, the aircraft commander, which was the oic, said "rip it off and throw it in the back!", so we did. So, we launched with no deice boot on the left wing. But we got back to the beach in time to hit up the bars that night!:icon_smil

Well, the aircraft is down with the wing boot missing but not down according to NATOPS but to the maint manuals (from my best recollection). You can't fly with three of the little vortex generators missing in a row or two or three missing in a line.....as I recall.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
.....then keep one hand on the bye-bye button. am I wrong?

The bye-bye button? Mav, you have been watching Hot Shots Part Dieux too many times and believing the sh*t you're watching. Next you'll start critiquing the construction of carriers after watching the Nat'l Geo and Mil Channel shows on the Reagan and Bush carriers.

The great thing about this forum is that, if you pay attention, you'll learn from being appropriately and justifiably bitch slapped a few times. Better to learn it here than in the fleet.

Just out of curiosity, do you live in a Holiday Inn Express at your college?

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Well, the aircraft is down with the wing boot missing but not down according to NATOPS but to the maint manuals (from my best recollection). You can't fly with three of the little vortex generators missing in a row or two or three missing in a line.....as I recall.

That is correct about the aircraft being down if 3 or more consecutive vortex are missing or damaged heavily. And yes I would guess that the aircraft would certainly be down for a missing boot. However, I was fresh out of aircrew school and brand new to the squadron, so I didn't know that at the time. The A/C was a seasoned 0-4 who had been to test pilot school, so I felt I could trust his judgement at the time, even though it seemed to be an unusual request (to rip off the boot and throw it in the back).

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
The bye-bye button? Mav, you have been watching Hot Shots Part Dieux too many times and believing the sh*t you're watching. Next you'll start critiquing the construction of carriers after watching the Nat'l Geo and Mil Channel shows on the Reagan and Bush carriers.

The great thing about this forum is that, if you pay attention, you'll learn from being appropriately and justifiably bitch slapped a few times. Better to learn it here than in the fleet.

Just out of curiosity, do you live in a Holiday Inn Express at your college?

LMAO!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Gotta be honest, when I first read the title I wasn't thinking airplane mishaps on a carrier but actual carrier mishaps. Something along the lines of a carrier running into a bridge, or running aground or colliding with a smaller (and much more unfortunate) boat... :eek:

Nose

pilot

It's obvious that Bunk's never been part of a flyoff!!:D

I actually heard this conversations once:
601 - "Tower, 601. Up and ready, 52K for the shot home!"
Boss - "601, tower. I think you might want to start that other engine first."

pause

pause

601 - "It's a flyoff boss, we're going whether it starts or not!"

pause

"601, Bridge. Do I need to shut you guys down so we can have a talk?"

601 - "Uh, no Captain, we'll get the engine on-line."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That is correct about the aircraft being down if 3 or more consecutive vortex are missing or damaged heavily. And yes I would guess that the aircraft would certainly be down for a missing boot. However, I was fresh out of aircrew school and brand new to the squadron, so I didn't know that at the time. The A/C was a seasoned 0-4 who had been to test pilot school, so I felt I could trust his judgement at the time, even though it seemed to be an unusual request (to rip off the boot and throw it in the back).

It wouldn't take a test pilot grad to have the judgement to make that call. I flew 750 miles to the ship with a chip light. Knew there were issues, ship demanded that the engine swap happen there so I took the aircraft. This was during Enduring Freedom and it was very important to keep our aircraft flying, almost around the clock. In my case, it certainly wasn't a need to get to the beach. The issue with regards to launching with a "downing discreprency" is if something happens, the AC will pay the price for it.