• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Reflections by Pickle

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't believe the board can even SEE your enlisted career. From left to right, the screens that show up in the tank are your official photo, your OSR, and your PSR, just like you see them on BOL. Your briefer will annotate this with shit-hot quotes from your writeup or anything else (s)he sees fit.

TL;DR as far as the board is concerned, there is no gap, because your PSR starts at commissioning. I'd put up a PPT from my deputy RCC showing exactly what the board sees. Unfortunately I'm mobilized, so that CD is stuck in a warehouse south of Seattle with most of my crap.

Not to call you out personally, but your head sheds never gave you a brief on how the tank works? That's . . . not cool.

Last edited:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The board can in fact see that you were enlisted, but it's only how much time you spent as a prior enlistee. There's a little line on either the ODC/OSR that shows the time in years and months. There's no detail on what you actually did.

It sounds like you have it covered with the pseudo letter to the board. That's what the LOB is for anyways, to explain an anomaly.

Honestly though, if the board is going back to OCS to determine who they are selecting to O-4....mother of God help those up for selection this year.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your "discontinuity" is not relevant. Do not submit a letter to cover this. All priors have the same issue. It will have zero effect on how your record plays for the board.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I don't believe the board can even SEE your enlisted career. From left to right, the screens that show up in the tank are your official photo, your OSR, and your PSR, just like you see them on BOL. Your briefer will annotate this with shit-hot quotes from your writeup or anything else (s)he sees fit.

TL;DR as far as the board is concerned, there is no gap, because your PSR starts at commissioning. I'd put up a PPT from my deputy RCC showing exactly what the board sees. Unfortunately I'm mobilized, so that CD is stuck in a warehouse south of Seattle with most of my crap.

Not to call you out personally, but your head sheds never gave you a brief on how the tank works? That's . . . not cool.
Actually, I've had really good briefs, and was lucky enough to be able to sit in on several ACSB tanks as an Ensign while in API (I TAD'd for 3 weeks and was the senior copy maker there...) but I don't think we ever drilled down to the nitty-gritty of Prior-E OCS FITREP/EVAL gaps. Having seen the size of those screens in the tank, let me just tell you how excited I am to have a picture of myself in khakis up there...

Just had my FITREP debrief for my first on the boat, so that should make it to the board as well. If all goes well, that will be my last LT FITREP ever.

I probably wouldn't be stressing it so much if my entire family's future didn't ride on the results.

Pickle

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Well guys,
I've put 2 years and a little into my squadron. I did some things right, fucked some things up, managed to make it through the machine and would like to share my experience for those who are starting out, hoping you won't make the same stupid mistakes I did.

A little background: Prior E, OCS, API, Vance, Corpus, Jax, now a P-3C PPC/MC in the glorious PNW. Proof that any retard can make it through.

I checked to my current squadron August of 2009. First bit of advice: if you check in after the 15th of a month, you get that month free for PQS, starting month zero on the next first...take advantage of those two weeks to get ahead of (and stay ahead of) the PQS curve. Your only job is to upgrade, do well at that job and all the other miscellaneous bullshit will go well.

I had a really good wardroom to take care of me when I checked in...they were there to do PQS, when I wanted to go get drunk watching football, and when I needed to take time to help the family. They were also there to kick me in the balls when I was being a dumbass...and they did a good job of that. Advice #2: Don't run your suck when you are the new guy...the best advice I got from an O-4 was to "Get up, Show up, and Shut-up"...I was lousy at the last part (still am) and had a lot to learn the hard way about shutting up and coloring. Do your job..that means not only the flying, but the ground job. We like to preach that you are a pilot first and the ground job is second to flying; but if your DH has to spend long looking for you because you show up at 9 and peace out at 2, you won't go far...remember, before being a Pilot, NFO, or the PAO, you are an Officer first. You get paid more than most of the guys next to you, you have to earn that by setting the example and working hard.

The 2P syllabus rolled along for me, I was an average, at best, pilot, and managed to pass all my flights and trainers with no failures...but I was really good at getting my job done at work. Unfortunately, that came at the expense of my family at times (it still does) and you have to find that balance for yourself. Married, 2 kids, and horses...I was spread thin at times, and (Advice #3 here) you have to be willing to ask for help.

Made 2P heading out the door to a 5th fleet deployment. Being a 2P on deployment is the best thing in the world. A little respect, a little responsibility, and LOTS of flight hours. If you have ANY say on your timing, give yourself 9 months to get qualified before your squadron heads out the door.

Deployment was a great time. I made some of the best friends I will have there. Not just my fellow Officers and flyers, but also some of the maintenance Chiefs and Sailors. They will bend over backwards to help you if they see you willing to work your ass off for them. Case in point: Be willing to do turns ALL night when you have the duty...don't bitch about it, don't try to skate out of turns...your job is to get that asset ready to fly. If you work your ass off, it pays back a multitude of dividends...I was able to take that respect back home, and when you are signing for the plane and have some crappy stuck bleed air valve keeping you from going, the airframers and maint. control Chief will remember that work and run to help you out.

The PPC and MC syllabus is a time to mature, and when your command will really decide who you will be. You will be working a mid-level ground job, be upgrading, and prepping for a decently hard board. Balance all three and you will be given the opportunity to do the best job in the Navy: take a crew somewhere (alone) as a JO, do God's work and have all the responsibility fall on you. LCDR's in the SWO side do not have the authority/responsibility that a PPC/MC in the P-3's have...we get to kill shit without asking anyone if necessary. That is the goal you are working towards...

You will not make it there without a shit-ton of hard work, lots of studying, and your friends. You will lean on them...a LOT...and you need to be the guy they can lean back on.

Finally, when you DO fuck something up (and you will) own up to it. Be the FIRST guy to tell your boss you fucked up, and it will go much easier. Do NOT be afraid to go to the O-4's for help, either when upgrading, or when trying to deal with your Sailors. They have been there, done that, and , when not in a group of more than 2, can be really decent human beings. Use them, but if you go to them with a problem, have a solution.

Sorry if this got a little philosophical, guess I can make up for my time away from AW's.
Missed you guys, glad to be back...
Pickle

good story.....hope you are still at it., finish off the reserves...get that retirement....it comes in real handy....

best of luck.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
good story.....hope you are still at it., finish off the reserves...get that retirement....it comes in real handy....

best of luck.
Thanks!
I am still at it. Currently haze/grey/underway and 12 years into a fun career. I will expound upon the fun once OPSEC allows me to tell some stories.
Pickle

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Dude...yeah...so geobachelor on a carrier for two years was the right way to go, even if it was not fun.

Just wrapped up two years as a Shooter on the Truman.

Positives:
Had a full eight month combat deployment where the planes I launched dropped 1598 pieces of ordnance on some bad dudes in the 5th Fleet AOR.

It was some sweet job satisfaction watching the planes I launched loaded out with some big bombs come back empty. Those dudes did some great work and all of that time away from home was justified. Can't imagine doing that time at sea and not killing anyone.

I had the opportunity to be the V-0 and V-2 Divo, as well as Topcat (concurrent with V-2) so I actually learned how to lead. 250 Sailors, Chiefs and Officers, along with scheduling training for the 8 new Shooters we got during the yards and through FDC and CQ kept me very busy. I had some frustrating days, especially when I was picking Sailors up from jail, going to mast, or dealing with the mental/emotional weakness inherent to this generation. Those days were far outweighed by the good ones, days where my guys would get a Cat up after three nights of constant work, or when they would bust ass through bad weather and a high optempo to do work underway.

Negatives:

Living away from my family. We decided to live apart because almost an entire year of my two year orders was spent underway. Couldn't justify moving my family to Norfolk just to hang out for 11 months in the yards.

The shittiness was ameliorated by having my horse up at the MWR barn at NAS Oceana. Got to ride, train, and show with some elite athletes in the heart of horse country. Unfortunately he died during my last underway, leaving a huge hole in my life (and wallet...fucker cost $1650 to cremate...I only paid $500 for him!!!)

If I had it to do again, I'd probably still do it the same way.

I do have to thank Masterbates (even though he is no longer a participant in this site) as he, and his wife, gave me a place to live. Having never met them in person, they generously offered me a room and Mrs. Bates usually had food for me...and that woman can cook!!!

I picked up O-4 and DH, and now get to learn another new plane. Off to Jax for nine months to be a Cat 1 in the P-8...

This time the family is only five hours west, and I'm doing the PUMA lifestyle on base in my 28' camper. Living where you work, staggering distance from the bar and the golf course can only end well.

So swing by, first beer is on me, hope you like Killuan's.

Pickle

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Are you classing up mid oct? I’ll see you there. I drive down mon.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great post, Pickle. Glad you got something good out of your tour and can pass that experience along to the next generation of JOs. Proud of you!

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

Sorry, maybe this is not the proper place for my question, but P-3 people sitting in front of yokes wearing baseball caps instead of helmets are closer to Russian naval air than other USN air communities, so hope it'd be answered. There was a story about an event that some P-3 killed some MiG-21 over Vietnam with Sidewinder missile. Have never read a details. Is that for real?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Gents,

Sorry, maybe this is not the proper place for my question, but P-3 people sitting in front of yokes wearing baseball caps instead of helmets are closer to Russian naval air than other USN air communities, so hope it'd be answered. There was a story about an event that some P-3 killed some MiG-21 over Vietnam with Sidewinder missile. Have never read a details. Is that for real?
It's classified...
I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you...

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Gents,

Not today, Vlad.