• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Reflections by Pickle

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Gents,

Sorry, maybe this is not the proper place for my question, but P-3 people sitting in front of yokes wearing baseball caps instead of helmets are closer to Russian naval air than other USN air communities, so hope it'd be answered. There was a story about an event that some P-3 killed some MiG-21 over Vietnam with Sidewinder missile. Have never read a details. Is that for real?

If it’s on the Internet it must be true...

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Nothing except one or two mentions in P-3-related popular brochures, as a rumors. But first I have heard about it was the memoir of one late Yak-38 carrier-borne VSTOL light attack plane: he wrote that they, in 331st Carrier Attack Air Regiment have been told that secondary aim of that Yaks was to hunt P-3s (after the primary mission, a coup de grace over some CV which had been already hit by a pair of those huge antiship missiles from SSGN or CGBN, is accomplished - a fiction scenario, no doubts), and they had some training for that. In this training there was a notion that MPRA aircraft, though always alone on its mission, can defend herself with 'winders, that is why the best way to attack Orion by this ugly VSTOL is to make a gun (23-mm) burst on port (or starboard, don't remember) wing where the outer engine is usually out of commission due to the fuel concerving, say that engine has no alternator connected to and that is the usual practice to stop it after takeoff.
But it is ok, if that is sensitive, even given the passed time, I'm glad to quit with this theme:eek:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Fake news :)

FOX-2! 1980's at Pax...

A+P-3+Orion+from+NATC+Patuxent+River,+Md.,+launches+an+AIM-9+Sidewinder+during+tests+of+the+air-to-air+missile+as+a+defense+weapon+for+antisubmarine+aircraft..jpg

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

Why did the US Coasties go past the P-3 in favor of C-130? As far as I can suggest, P-3 can loiter far longer than Hercules, and endurance is the word appreciated by USCG to a highest degree...
Another question is why P-3 cannot be refueled in the air?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Dude...yeah...so geobachelor on a carrier for two years was the right way to go, even if it was not fun.

Just wrapped up two years as a Shooter on the Truman.

Positives:
Had a full eight month combat deployment where the planes I launched dropped 1598 pieces of ordnance on some bad dudes in the 5th Fleet AOR.

It was some sweet job satisfaction watching the planes I launched loaded out with some big bombs come back empty. Those dudes did some great work and all of that time away from home was justified. Can't imagine doing that time at sea and not killing anyone.

I had the opportunity to be the V-0 and V-2 Divo, as well as Topcat (concurrent with V-2) so I actually learned how to lead. 250 Sailors, Chiefs and Officers, along with scheduling training for the 8 new Shooters we got during the yards and through FDC and CQ kept me very busy. I had some frustrating days, especially when I was picking Sailors up from jail, going to mast, or dealing with the mental/emotional weakness inherent to this generation. Those days were far outweighed by the good ones, days where my guys would get a Cat up after three nights of constant work, or when they would bust ass through bad weather and a high optempo to do work underway.

Negatives:

Living away from my family. We decided to live apart because almost an entire year of my two year orders was spent underway. Couldn't justify moving my family to Norfolk just to hang out for 11 months in the yards.

The shittiness was ameliorated by having my horse up at the MWR barn at NAS Oceana. Got to ride, train, and show with some elite athletes in the heart of horse country. Unfortunately he died during my last underway, leaving a huge hole in my life (and wallet...fucker cost $1650 to cremate...I only paid $500 for him!!!)

If I had it to do again, I'd probably still do it the same way.

I do have to thank Masterbates (even though he is no longer a participant in this site) as he, and his wife, gave me a place to live. Having never met them in person, they generously offered me a room and Mrs. Bates usually had food for me...and that woman can cook!!!

I picked up O-4 and DH, and now get to learn another new plane. Off to Jax for nine months to be a Cat 1 in the P-8...

This time the family is only five hours west, and I'm doing the PUMA lifestyle on base in my 28' camper. Living where you work, staggering distance from the bar and the golf course can only end well.

So swing by, first beer is on me, hope you like Killuan's.

Pickle

Pickle,

In all seriousness, thanks for your thread. It was great to read your journey from the depths to where you're at now, all bullshit and internet-arguments aside. Without hijacking the thread, I went through a LOT of shit my first tour, including my brother dying while I was SDO on the other side of the ocean, so I know some similar feelings to what you had about the Navy, life, priorities and making some big changes. I know that while we're all a big group of assholes who like to bust balls, there are a lot of folks (particularly JOs) who deal with a lot of shit, try to swallow it down, compartmentalize, press, and never talk about it, so it's really a service to tell your story and show the humanity and difficulties that life in the Navy sometimes carries with it. I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Congrats on the O-4, DH and new jet.

Blue skies,

-BLU

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Pickle,

In all seriousness, thanks for your thread. It was great to read your journey from the depths to where you're at now, all bullshit and internet-arguments aside. Without hijacking the thread, I went through a LOT of shit my first tour, including my brother dying while I was SDO on the other side of the ocean, so I know some similar feelings to what you had about the Navy, life, priorities and making some big changes. I know that while we're all a big group of assholes who like to bust balls, there are a lot of folks (particularly JOs) who deal with a lot of shit, try to swallow it down, compartmentalize, press, and never talk about it, so it's really a service to tell your story and show the humanity and difficulties that life in the Navy sometimes carries with it. I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Congrats on the O-4, DH and new jet.

Blue skies,

-BLU

I'll echo similar thoughts. Thanks Pickle.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gents,

Why did the US Coasties go past the P-3 in favor of C-130? As far as I can suggest, P-3 can loiter far longer than Hercules, and endurance is the word appreciated by USCG to a highest degree...
Another question is why P-3 cannot be refueled in the air?

No ramp or cargo space. Long-range SAR is just one of the Coastie Herks' missions.

110430-G-KY418-0413.jpg