• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Reflections by Pickle

Hair Warrior

Contributor
P-3-related popular brochures
Where do you find P-3 brochures nowadays?
the best way to attack Orion by this ugly VSTOL is to make a gun (23-mm) burst on port (or starboard, don't remember) wing where the outer engine is usually out of commission due to the fuel concerving, say that engine has no alternator connected to and that is the usual practice to stop it after takeoff.
Interesting. Since the Yak-38 is no longer in operation, is there a newer aircraft/method you think would be used against MPRA aircraft?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Where do you find P-3 brochures nowadays?

Interesting. Since the Yak-38 is no longer in operation, is there a newer aircraft/method you think would be used against MPRA aircraft?

P-3 related issues are numerous, AFAIR that have been the Squadron Signal publication.
What about MPRA eliminating methods, there was complete theory in Soviets naval doctrine about that since 1970. Then Soviet SSBNs' missiles had barely 4000 km range so to be unfolded in the Atlantic on the launching positions, those boats had to pass Norwegian coast and went through Faroes-Icelandic ASW barrier undamaged and hopefully untouched. How to do so? First of all, we need to kill all Orions and Nimrods aloft. Have there been a carriers on our side like on yours, it would lead to classical carrier clash off Norway, but we just dreamed about it. Boys want play, you know. Ok, it is extremely hard to fight a carriers without own carriers, just like in the case of tanks for land warfare. So the Soviets created a theory of "new strips": as our long-range fighters cannot be carrier-based, we need to possess the ground strips somwhere else. Variants: airbases on Soviet land, clearly the third best - too far away and too busy with bombers and air superiority warfare; ice strips - a temporary bases on Arctic ice fields - a second best and a fiction; captured Norwegian airstrips - the best, but it needs assaults, airborne and tactical amphibious, with speed and power of Martian attack, an with tenderness of the silk to avoid the damages of the base at whole. One of the most extreme stupidity I have ever met in Soviet strategy planning. But when a STOBAR-carrier and her Flankers appeared to be reality, it all became not so silly: covered by her own CAPs, this carrier could send several Flankers for armed recco to hunt MPRA aircraft with both radar-seeking and IR-missiles, and using formers was allowing to kill from a distance that nullified opposite danger of Sidewinders. Once, several years ago, I've been told by former VFA skipper that they offered to the Tomcat-dominated TOPGUN crowd to contemplate and evaluate something similar, but those jocks were deaf totally... I am not aviator and maybe nowadays Russian air-minded people have some new concepts about MPRA, but given contemporary range of SLBMs and ability for SSBNs to be deployed under the same ice, it doesn't seem quite relevant...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So here I sit, 3 weeks into the first phase of the Cat I/II P-8 Syllabus (MCS Day 18, to be exact).

I always briefed my Sailors and flight students on “Semper Gumby”...always be ready to flex and make shit happen. Had to take my own advice! I was expecting to be in class 18-01 (as per my orders) and sitting around until next week, when I’m scheduled for LPNV. I even scammed an ORDMOD out of the detailer so I could get off the boat before TSTA/FEP.

Showed up 9 October expecting to do the check-in and go fuck off for a month. As I was checking in, I saw a shit-ton of Ensigns and JG’s in khakis running around doing the same thing. They were supposed to class up mid to late September, but had slid right due to FY17 Funding shortfalls.

Slid right into my check-in...NBD, I have hard orders for 18-01, these guys are 17-08, and I have swims 7-8 November. So I thought. Check in with Mr. Donnelly (any of you MPRA types who’ve been through in the last decade know him) and he says “We can get you in early!”

I weighed my options...start 12 October, be done in June 18, get to squadron and track early, or fuck off until November 28, when MY class (originally sked for 9 November) had slid right to, and complete at the end of July 18.

Honestly, the two things that tipped me to starting early were: A. I actually had some control over my own timing; B. Flying in Jax in July.

My kids get out of school in early June, and Whidbey starts school later than Milton, FL. That means they get an extra long summer, in Whidbey, and we get to haul horses across the US in June vice August.

So I started the next day (actually missed day one of Indoc...well, wouldn’t say I was missing it Bob...)and am starting the OFT part of the syllabus.

This is my third time through VP-30 as a student (AW-2004/5, P-3C CAT 1-2008/9, P-8A CAT 2-2017/18) and I swear the building smells the same, looks the same, and I still feel like a nugget walking around.

Everything else here has changed. The ITC (training building) is fucking awesome. Bunch of Level D sims, staff really works with me (probably because I am a hinge) and I get into the 1930 block for practice at will.

I go home every weekend (Milton is 5 hours on the nose, with a single stop for food/urinish) and see the family.

I’m living the PUMA life across the street from the golf course, which is convenient, as we are nearly always done by 1400, which coincides with the start of twilight golf. $8 for all the golf I can play (I walk) and I’m pretty sure I’ve already dropped ten shots from my score. Play two times a week, don’t have to fight the gate in the morning, beer and burger for lunch, and it’s five minutes to the sim building at night to practice.

It is still lonely being a geobachelor, one can only be watch so much Amazon Prime at night. That being said, I think this nine months will be a great break between the boat and VP DH life.

P-8 seems like fun, the best thing I can suggest so far is to forget how you did the VPenis and embrace The Ocho way of doing business. They are doing a great job of shedding the minutia bullshit from the syllabus and actually concentrating on what you need to know.

Oh, and I took the opportunity to spend some of the DH bonus on a new horse (my previous one, Charlie, died while I was underway in September) and have something to train on weekends.

So glad I stuck around to see the new plane, 5 platforms in ten years...(T-6A, TC-12, P-3C, T-6B, and P-8A)

Can’t wait to fly this bitch...
Pickle
C2556CD5-DE5A-4C76-AC22-CDD8DD08EF52.jpeg

Last edited:

Max the Mad Russian

Well, God bless you Pickle and wish you a nice flights. Personal doctor of Sir Winston Churchill, Lord Moran, once said that the fliers are the children of cavalrymen, what is changing is that their horses can fly:D

Max the Mad Russian

Well gents,

Poor Argies have reportedly lost their SS San Juan, the only their boat that have been in operative status... News show that USN P-3C takes part in efforts to locate the boat or a wreck of her. Two naive question - why Orion instead of Poseidon and is MPRA good enough in the shipwreck seeking?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well gents,

Poor Argies have reportedly lost their SS San Juan, the only their boat that have been in operative status... News show that USN P-3C takes part in efforts to locate the boat or a wreck of her. Two naive question - why Orion instead of Poseidon and is MPRA good enough in the shipwreck seeking?
You're about as tactful as Sergey Lavrov. Perhaps they should ask the Russian Navy for assistance. You guys seem to have the most experience with killing submariners.

Max the Mad Russian

Once I've been told that aviators have not enough balls to be submariners, by the way. But yeah, we have some sad experience paid with blood and blue skin of drowned bubbleheads. And we have never been good in searching the subs on the bottom, so there is the good reason to ask for USN help. For us too. When the boys are suffocating in the battle for the last breathe, it doesn't matter whose battle flag will cover their graves...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Or there are some of us that have done both (Dolphins and Wings). Meh....

Max the Mad Russian

There are a few out there, including a Prowler pilot I went through the training with.
Then not as rare as I tbought. Well, bet this sort of officers mostly wears Wings over Dolphins and not vice versa, except the extremely seldom cases of medical reasons, right? Not so sure about NFOs, who supposedly can prefer submarine service in numbers due to intelligent habits;-)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then not as rare as I tbought. Well, bet this sort of officers mostly wears Wings over Dolphins and not vice versa, except the extremely seldom cases of medical reasons, right?

The one I knew and the few others I have heard of went from subs to aviation so yes, they would wear wings over dolphins.