• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Reflections by Pickle

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not ready to say goodbye to 46 and our life here, but I'm kind of excited to get back to Florida. Pickle is really excited about teaching on the T-6 down there.

He may be a little "special needs," but he's still my Pickle! :)

Touche...

Welcome back MrsP, I wondered where the Pickles went. After I stumbled into AW 'bout 3 years ago, you are the one who cajoled, then dragged me kicking & screaming, into posting a TINS tale or two...I guess it didn't bore anyone to death, 'cause ~850 posts later, I haven't been ban-boozled yet! :oops:
BzB

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
***Posting a copy of this in my "mini-blog" for continuity purposes***​
3 years, 1 month into the first Sea Duty squadron as a pilot:​
My brief to my Sailors is as follows:​
You joined to serve your country, you are going to do that. It is service, not fun party 9-5 job. That means you need to get every ounce back out of the Navy you can; MGIB, TA, understand how your service can translate to credits, get that A&P license...you are going to earn it, get yours. Put your family before your service, they will be there long after the Navy is. I cannot say I have always followed this advice.​
TINS: I am currently at home instead of on deployment (2 months early) fixing the mistakes I have made in my life that have affected my family. I spent too many hours at work fighting for that #1 EP instead of paying attention to my wife and kids. I missed soccer games, medical appointments, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. I told my wife that she had to "suck it up" when she called me and the kids were in the closed pattern around her and she was trying to get stuff done and was overwhelmed. I worked so fucking hard at my job, quals, PQS, and flying, and when I would finally get home, I was too tired to do anything other than sit down on the couch, yell at the kids for making noise during Family Guy, and bitch at my wife because the house was dirty and the dinner wasn't made (sound familiar anyone?)​
Result: 4 hours into a 5th fleet mission this past weekend I got word from the command to "RTB immediately, as per Skipper." We landed, 2000 pounds overweight (again, as directed) to expedite. I was met by the CO, XO, OPSO, and SNO, and was informed that my wife had attempted suicide. She had swallowed an entire bottle of anti-depressants and a neighbor had called an ambulance.​
I, personally, have been blessed with a great Skipper, a great command, and especially a great wardroom. When the time came for them to step up, they met me with plane tickets home and orders in triplicate to take care of my family. But I got to that bad of a situation doing service for this Navy, and burned my family in the process. I don't feel like I did "extra" work, I did the work required for my job.​
9 hours later I was on a flight home with 24 long hours by myself on a plane or in a terminal to think about all the mistakes I had made while she was fighting for her life in a hospital. Longest fucking day of my life.​
Don't get me wrong, I love the Navy. Anyone that has flown/served/worked with me can vouch for that. I love to fly, I love leading Sailors, I even love the P-3. I have enjoyed my service, I would encourage anyone who wants a great opportunity to do something real with their lives that has a positive impact on the world to join. I am still commited to making Skipper, and being the first P-3 CNO. But I also am upfront about the toll it takes on you and your family.​
This is not the Navy's fault. I was incapable of balancing my career and my family. I was too good at compartmentalizing at work and not good enough at home. I would like to say I am the exception to the rule when it comes to marriage and the Navy, but the numbers don't lie, the military divorce rates are above the National divorce rates.Suicide rates are well above national rates...this job is hard on your life.​
That was my point. We are talking about it on a blog for Officers and potential Officers, not in the smokepit around my Sailors, we can be blunt.​
Pickle​

helo_wifey

Our thoughts and prayers for your family Pickle, sounds like you've got a great squadron helping you take care of things.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I, personally, have been blessed with a great Skipper, a great command, and especially a great wardroom. When the time came for them to step up, they met me with plane tickets home and orders in triplicate to take care of my family.
Pickle
Reminded me... I'm Ass't Gun Boss on CVA-41, in drydock at Hunter's Pt. 1970. About 8pm I'm at SF Giant game @ Candlestick (right next door to SF Int'l Apt.). I get paged on their version of 1MC to report immediately to gate XX, I hurried smelling an emergency. Gun Boss on ship said my 6 yr. old Son (in Seattle), hit by car on a bicycle, in hospital, injuries undetermined, but condition not super-critical. He advised we have A/L reservation SFO-SEA (1+20), we'll pick you up at gate XX, we have your SDBs (will change in the airport head), also bringing emerg. leave papers - open-ended. Only 3 1/2 hrs after notification, I touched down at SeaTac!:eek:

Having a great front office is awesome, makes a really tough tour mucho easier. I love it when the Navy "comes through" that way. BTW luckily, young Patrick BzB's moderate scrapes/bruises healed nicely, & I pray that Mrs. Pickles also heal quickly & fully as well!:)
BzB

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for all the well wishes; for all the faults and pain, there is no community/family closer than the Navy. I have realized that this week.
Pickle

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
Thinking about MrsPickle. I spent time with her and your kids down here in Corpus when you were in flight school. Praying she makes a quick recovery.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Well,
I thought long and hard about starting this back up. It brings up a lot of shitty memories/bad time in my life. Pretty much as low as a guy can get. But then I remember this is the real Navy and any new guy that wants a piece of this action needs to see all sides.
So to catch up, when we last left off, Mrs. Pickle was in the Psych ward in Bellevue, WA, and I was just back from deployment after she had tried to commit suicide.
That was a long week.
First things first: We are still (happily) married, and have moved a long way from that low. We had both hit rock bottom in our relationship/lives last summer, and agreed to work together to move onward/upward.
We had a lot of help, including MULTIPLE (as in 3) counselors from the FFSC, one for each of us and a marriage counselor together. They were a great asset, however, most of the work was done between the two of us, as is the case in any marriage. We both had to agree to put the past behind us and move toward a better future. That doesn't come easy, as you have to do a lot of work to drive another human to try to kill themselves. Our cumulative low point was me packing my shit the day before Thanksgiving and calling the only O-4 on beach-det looking for a couch to ride.
I was done, she was done, I was ready to walk away.

I was driving to the house from base to grab my shit, and heard a song on the radio..."Love don't run" by Steve Holy...it was cheesy as fuck, still is (the wife is in the background calling me a pussy right now) and the gist was I had to put my stupid pride aside, and put my wife/family first.

I did, and still try to every day. Well, most days...

The wife and I moved to Milton, and had an 8 day drive with a horse trailer to talk about shit/fight/make up/get away from Whidbey. The smartest thing we did was ship the kids off to their grandparents in Iowa for a month so e could move to FL, settle in, find a house, and get some space from everything while we collectively hit CTL/ALT/DEL on our lives.

Every day was a test through December and January, and we closed on our house on January 30th. That was a big step forward, and really a way for us to demonstrate or seriousness to committing to this relationship.

In the meantime, I had the whole "Navy" part of my life to take care of as well.

I was designated "beach-det OIC" while I was home from deployment...really the squadron let me take care of my family/personal shit while I had a nominal role in overseeing the new check-ins/departees. If I was there past 0900, it was because I was dealing with BS, otherwise, I was home. I'd like to say I really enjoyed it, and to some point I did enjoy my family/kids and getting my relationship under control; but the guilt of leaving my crew literally in the middle of a mission and a deployment was crushing. I didn't sleep much/at all for those first few months...in fact I still struggle with that guilt today, having had to make someone else do the work I was supposed to do because of my failure as a person. Probably will carry that for a while.

The Navy/Squadron/Crew obviously managed without me, that is why we train the next guy so they can step in...had an awesome new PPC that got a great opportunity to step into a formed crew and take over and get some valuable A-time under his belt.

Check-out with the XO, I still got the appropriate paper/kiss-out-the-door, so there was absolutely NO retribution/hurt feelings from that side over my early departure. I still am amazed at how supportive the command was, especially the Skipper/XO/OPSO. Those guys went to bat for me all the way. I also had a lot of help from a couple of former DH's who were able to talk to me on the phone, as well as a former squadron mate who got to awkwardly listen to me cry on the phone at 0200...Which tells me I should have taken that time earlier to take care of my family up front instead of putting in the 12/16/18 hour days while the other guys went home after 8 on home cycle. The gains weren't worth it.

Pretty much closed up my chapter at Whidbey and off we went at 0001 on December 1.

Check in to Milton came pretty fast once I showed up on December 31. Note: don't be the guy that tries to sneak in without a shave/uniform. Thankfully I did the standard khaki/haircut/shoeshine thing because the first person I met walking in the door was my new XO. First impressions, etc.

I was asked to start January 8th, and that was the first time I've ever told the Navy "No."
Told the XO/Skipper my story up front, told them I had shit to deal with and a house to close on and I needed a couple of weeks. They worked with me to class up a week later on the 15th at the FITU...

4 months later I showed up to my new squadron a freshly minted T-6B IP with a Form qual to boot! Now I get to abuse teach the next generation of pilots. I'm totally stoked to have this chance, it has been fun every flight and learning how many different ways "junior" can try to kill me makes it exciting. I feel like I finally have things going the right way for the first time since August last year. And, amazingly, I can finally sleep through the night (usually) and look at myself in the mirror again.

I'll dig into the finer points of the FITU experience at a later date, but I think I want the viewpoint of a few months as an instructor to properly gauge what I got from there first.

My closing point is this:
Your family comes first...before country, before the Navy, before job (even before God for me) because at the end of the day, they are the only people there for you. No amount of money/rank/medals is worth my marriage at this point, so I will be making my future decisions together with MrsPickle.

I mean, once I let her wear shoes and get out of the kitchen of course.

Pickle

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Pickle, good story and glad that you were able to work through it.

It's definitely easy to get sucked into thinking that your military responsibilities always trump family. Oftentimes, I found that the chain of command would have been supportive of asking for a day here and there for a family event if asked, provided you're not missing an underway for it, but the feeling that you'll be 'that guy' asking for too much because you have a family and knowing others who work similarly long hours have to pick up your slack makes it difficult to do.

jtmedli

pilot
Pickle, great story and thank you for sharing that. That's not something that's easy to throw on a message board for a bunch of assholes like us to read ;). But definitely something we probably needed to hear. Personally, I think that hearing this stuff from someone who actually dealt with it as opposed to as a bullet point at a safety stand-down really makes it hit home.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Dusting this off because it is better than starting a new thread:

I'm about 13 months out from by PRD. Just got verbals to a large, grey, floating object based up in Norfolk to go launch smaller, grey, flying objects from the top of said floating object.

I'm mulling around several options for the next duty station, would love input.

One: Geobachelor, live on boat, family comes up 1-2x/month. Would have to rent hotel/extended stay for those trips.
Two: Geobachelor, live in town, fold out couch for little gherkins. Would probably require a studio at minimum....
Three: move family up to Norfolk, sell house in Milton. Would probably break even at this point, but kinda like the house/property.
Four: move family, rent house in Milton, deal with renters.

We have two kids, two dogs, two horses, so a move isn't easy, would need to find an acreage...

Thoughts?
How does BAH, BAS, etc. work in scenario 1/2...I know I have to pay for boat food..
Thanks,
Pickle

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Don't know a lot about it, but do have an anecdote...

My buddy is an AM1 with VRC-40...taught A-school before that and bought a real nice place in Milton, left his family there while he finishes out and retires. He sees his kids twice a year if you don't count Skype...and he doesn't really deploy that much. Doesn't sound awesome to me.

Next, for better or worse...my wife told me once when we considered a similar situation, "We're a family, wherever you go, we go." She grew up in a military family, her dad did 22 years, so I usually defer to her expertise on the issue.

Sorry I don't have better info, I've just always been against the splitting up the family thing. Rent/sell the house and let the family enjoy Larchmont and ODU football.