• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAPT Scott Speicher - KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Navy officials say report on missing pilot is false
The Virginian-Pilot
© November 6, 2004 | Last updated 11:16 PM Nov. 5

WASHINGTON — The Navy dismissed a broadcast report Friday that American forces in Iraq have recovered human remains believed to be those of missing Navy pilot Scott Speicher.

“There’s nothing to substantiate the story, and we’ve communicated that to the Speicher family,” said Cdr. Conrad Chun, a Navy spokesman.

First Coast News, which serves a pair of Jacksonville, Fla., television stations, reported that remains thought to be Speicher’s had been recovered in an undisclosed location in Iraq and were being tested to verify their identity. The report also was broadcast on Hampton Roads television Friday evening.

Speicher has been missing since the first night of the 1991 Persian Gulf War, when his F/A-18 Hornet was down over southern Iraq. Speicher, who was flying off the Jacksonville-based Saratoga, was originally declared killed, but Navy officials changed his status to missing and presumed captured after recovered pieces of his plane indicated that he might have ejected safely.

Neither the Speicher family nor their attorney returned calls Friday.

You hang around the Free Scott Speicher forums as much as I do, you hear all the latest.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Navy: Iraqis Know MIA Pilot's Whereabouts (Speicher Story)

Interesting find:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050908/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/gulf_war_pilot_missing

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer WASHINGTON - The Navy has been unable to determine whether Capt. Michael "Scott" Speicher, the fighter pilot shot down over Iraq in January 1991, is dead or alive, but it decided to keep his official status "missing/captured" and intensify investigative efforts.

Navy Secretary Gordon England on Wednesday approved the findings and recommendations of a Navy board of inquiry, which concluded that "elements of the former Iraqi regime know the whereabouts of Captain Speicher."

Sundown

Eight-year-olds, Dude...
I'm confused, if he's a Captain and that picture was taken in 1990, the why the hell is he wearing LT bars?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Sundown said:
I'm confused, if he's a Captain and that picture was taken in 1990, the why the hell is he wearing LT bars?

Media know's jack sh!t about the military... I once watched a Fox News show where they refered to the Kitty Hawk as a destroyer...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sundown said:

He was an O-4 when shot down but has since been promoted. He is now officially a Navy Captain, which is what the picture is referring to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel for the family and all, but I think this story is little more than wishful thinking with a little conspiracy theory mixed in for good measure. Time to move on.

Brett

Sundown

Eight-year-olds, Dude...
bunk22 said:
He was an O-4 when shot down but has since been promoted. He is now officially a Navy Captain, which is what the picture is referring to.

Roger, but a 2 rank promotion? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a tad unusual?

SlickAg

pilot
He got promoted to Commander, then Captain, just as though he were alive, b/c he's not dead, just MIA. Same thing as in Vietnam, POWs got promoted on time with their peers.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
With no disrespect meant, does anybody else think that's sort of...strange?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
With no disrespect meant, does anybody else think that's sort of...strange?

Uhh, nope. I think it's the definitely the right thing to do. Like someone said that is how it went on in Vietnam, and there is not a good reason I can think of to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.