• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAPT Scott Speicher - KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Several years ago, then President of Iraq Saddam Hussein sent a pound of flesh to the United States claiming it was the remains of Scott Speicher.

Man that is just ****ed up. Bastards probably killed him. God rest his soul.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Scott Speicher

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=77703&ran=187604

Report says Scott Speicher's body may have been found in Iraq
The Virginian-Pilot
© November 5, 2004 | Last updated 3:58 PM Nov. 5

A Jacksonville, Fla., television station is reporting that a body has been found in Iraq and DNA testing is under way to determine whether it may be Capt. Michael Scott Speicher, a Navy pilot who disappared in the opening hours of the first Gulf War.

WTLV, Channel 12, and WJXX, Channel 25, in Jacksonville reported on their newscasts and on their Web site, First Coast News, that Speicher's family members have been notified and that they have reason to believe that the remains are Speicher's.

Then-Lt. Cmdr. Michael Scott Speicher's F/A-18 Hornet was shot down in western Iraq on Jan. 17, 1991. Speicher, 33, originally was listed as killed in action, but the Defense Department changed his status to "missing-captured" in January 2001, as circumstantial evidence and intelligence reports suggested he ejected from his crippled plane and survived his landing in the Iraqi desert.

Saddam Hussein's government said Speicher was killed at the time of the crash and turned over some remains in 1991, but DNA testing later proved they weren't his.

The Speicher case has attracted nationwide attention, as a corps of the aviator's friends and family pressed first the Clinton administration and later the Bush White House to do more to find and bring home either Speicher or his remains.

NavyWife2001

My worst nightmare! I know this must be killing his wife to have to relive it all over again. She is in my prayers tonight.....

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
hamwind said:
"....Buddy Harris, who was Speicher's best friend and is now married to Speicher's widow..."

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......but that's what best friends are for right?

Dude, not cool.

As for the article, I hope that it is true so that it can finally bring closure to his family.

Grant

That television station should have kept their yapper shut until the remains were ID'ed. Its really cruel to make Capt. Speicher's wife live in limbo in the meantime.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I saw the report on the Jax TV station here the other night- they said the family had already been told (like days or a weeks ago) before the report was made public. I do hope they find some answers

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
NavyWife2001 said:
My worst nightmare! I know this must be killing his wife to have to relive it all over again. She is in my prayers tonight.....

I wonder about that seeing that she remarried less than a year (or right around a year) after he was shot down. At least that's what I recall from the book. I obviously could be very wrong and this news is killing for obvious reasons.

slabicro

Helo wife
His wife did remarry shortly after to one of HIS BEST FRIENDS! Not trying to start "rumor" but we lived in Jacksonville prior to joining the Navy and his exwife and new husband were on a talk show. They talked about it all when they thought he was still alive. He left small children behind who don't even know him as daddy and know their new dad as their dad. I just pray the guy didn't suffer and hasn't been in captivity all these years. There are many things much worse than death in this world. And to return home to a life that is not there any more would be extremely hard.... I will be curious to see if they identify it as him. I always saw signs in Jax remembering him and all and it always put a lump in my throat

Renee

Status
Not open for further replies.