• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can an Apache fly inverted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe we should start a new category "dumb trivia questions"
And yes the Apache can fly inverted though their procedures forbid them from ever doing it. The Apache has a full articulated rotor hub meaning it will tolerate negative G's. Teh current Whiskey Cobra has a teetering head meanin that light in the seat feeling scares the sh!t out of me. Aircraft like the Lynx and soon to be Zulu have waht is called a rigid head which is kind of misnomer but in effect the material is flexible enough to ben and sway to equalize all aerodynamic forces making them both earobatically manueverable.
The Lynx can even go to a neagrive pitch (think Beta in a T-34 to exert downward force on a ship deck to stay put.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
The Lynx can even go to a negative pitch (think Beta in a T-34 to exert downward force on a ship deck to stay put.
Now there's something interesting.

As for all you kiddies out there with your rediculous questions, I'd just as soon not talk to anyone who isn't at least an O-3 on this forum. There you have it.

Brett

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Brett327 said:
As for all you kiddies out there with your rediculous questions, I'd just as soon not talk to anyone who isn't at least an O-3 on this forum. There you have it.

Brett

Haha. Well, that knocks out 90% of us ... the unwashed masses. It also would have knocked out the creators of the site back when they started it (assuming that they were Ensigns during primary - I wasn't on Airwarriors then).

Maybe they can make you your own private forum? :icon_wink

Hmmm.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Universal rule of internet message boards: use the search function.

Broadsword2004

Well, I did use the search function for this question on Air Warriors, but nothing came up (but that probably makes sense as this is a Naval Aviation site). I understand it is for Naval Aviation, but I mean a helicopter is a helicopter, if you get a technical question on one, I don't really see a reason not to ask it. And you people here all seem to know a lot about aircraft and how they fly and operate, etc...so I also figured you wouldn't really mind discussing them.

As for my question about the size of the helm on a carrier, that I literally was just wondering about, as I wasn't sure HOW the ship was steered by the wheel. I think I had mentioned that I thought using a wheel to turn the ship was slow, and maybe some of you were thinking, "WTF!?! How is it slow??" The reason I had initially thought that was because I wasn't sure if the wheel steered the ship like a car, where you turn it and the ship starts turning immediately, or if it was like the helms on older ships, where you had to really turn them a lot of rotations to get the ship to turn. I figured since this was a Navy forum, that someone would know. It just peaked my curiousity is all.

Maybe it might've seemed like a common sense question to someone like Patmack, but it wasn't to me; it might seem common sense for a battle tank to be steered by a wheel too, but they are steered by a motorcycle-style grip.

I won't deny I have asked some stupid questions before (at the times I didn't realize how silly they were), or that I bombarded with a lot of questions that probably could've been answered with the search function at the time when I first came to this site, and I am sorry for being such an annoyance that way. I actually hadn't noticed the search function until someone mentioned it to me in a private message, so I mean don't think I purely ignored it. But now I just try to ask questions that I think are more technical and reasonable to answer.

And believe it or not, I have learned quite a bit from the questions asked around here, by myself and lots of people. Huge threads seem to get generated over some questions, so you get a lot of information from them, and I learned a lot from the answers given to my helm question and to my question on why the engines of an F-18 were so close (I wasn't aware of that stuff about the adverse yaw and all that). Don't think your answers just go unnoticed or go to waste.

Personally, provided the answer isn't 2 seconds away from using google (which I know to always check now) or the Air Warrior's search function (also check that first), I think asking technical questions about what aircraft can or cannot do, or why they are the way they are are fine, as it helps people learn, just as long as one doesn't bombard the forum with such questions.

I think though you could save a lot of people from asking the questions that have already been asked multiple times by adding a couple of stickies that direct people on such questions. Remember, most of the newbies that come here don't know that their very questions have been asked 9 million times before, and then they ask, and everyone is like, "Oh no, not again...." you see my point.

Also, a lot of newbies may not realize how rude some of their questions may sound when they ask them, like how I had asked earlier on about how to transition aircraft if one got an aircraft they think (theoretically) they wouldn't like. I hadn't meant it to be offensive to anyone, but I think I know how it is reasoned (i.e. you haven't even flown yet, how do you know what you will like, and if you just say you want this over that, you insult the other pilots by acting like their aircraft is lousy) but I was just some dumb newbie, and as told, I "didn't know what I was talking about," so I am a lot more open-minded now; to aviation, I still am a newbie, but to Air Warriors I'm not anymore, so I try not to sound like the idiot I came off as originally.

I also have read some of my previous posts, and realized how stupid many of them sounded originally, and ignorant, so I try not to type so fast or talk as much anymore.

But if I get a technical question on an aircraft, and the Air Warriors search function and google both fail me, I ask it. This IS a site full of pilots.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Now there's something interesting.

Brett

who says the O-3s want to talk to you?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Broadsword2004 said:
Well, I did use the search function for this question on Air Warriors, but nothing came up (but that probably makes sense as this is a Naval Aviation site). I understand it is for Naval Aviation, but I mean a helicopter is a helicopter, if you get a technical question on one, I don't really see a reason not to ask it. And you people here all seem to know a lot about aircraft and how they fly and operate, etc...so I also figured you wouldn't really mind discussing them.

As for my question about the size of the helm on a carrier, that I literally was just wondering about, as I wasn't sure HOW the ship was steered by the wheel. I think I had mentioned that I thought using a wheel to turn the ship was slow, and maybe some of you were thinking, "WTF!?! How is it slow??" The reason I had initially thought that was because I wasn't sure if the wheel steered the ship like a car, where you turn it and the ship starts turning immediately, or if it was like the helms on older ships, where you had to really turn them a lot of rotations to get the ship to turn. I figured since this was a Navy forum, that someone would know. It just peaked my curiousity is all.

Maybe it might've seemed like a common sense question to someone like Patmack, but it wasn't to me; it might seem common sense for a battle tank to be steered by a wheel too, but they are steered by a motorcycle-style grip.

I won't deny I have asked some stupid questions before (at the times I didn't realize how silly they were), or that I bombarded with a lot of questions that probably could've been answered with the search function at the time when I first came to this site, and I am sorry for being such an annoyance that way. I actually hadn't noticed the search function until someone mentioned it to me in a private message, so I mean don't think I purely ignored it. But now I just try to ask questions that I think are more technical and reasonable to answer.

And believe it or not, I have learned quite a bit from the questions asked around here, by myself and lots of people. Huge threads seem to get generated over some questions, so you get a lot of information from them, and I learned a lot from the answers given to my helm question and to my question on why the engines of an F-18 were so close (I wasn't aware of that stuff about the adverse yaw and all that). Don't think your answers just go unnoticed or go to waste.

Personally, provided the answer isn't 2 seconds away from using google (which I know to always check now) or the Air Warrior's search function (also check that first), I think asking technical questions about what aircraft can or cannot do, or why they are the way they are are fine, as it helps people learn, just as long as one doesn't bombard the forum with such questions.

I think though you could save a lot of people from asking the questions that have already been asked multiple times by adding a couple of stickies that direct people on such questions. Remember, most of the newbies that come here don't know that their very questions have been asked 9 million times before, and then they ask, and everyone is like, "Oh no, not again...." you see my point.

Also, a lot of newbies may not realize how rude some of their questions may sound when they ask them, like how I had asked earlier on about how to transition aircraft if one got an aircraft they think (theoretically) they wouldn't like. I hadn't meant it to be offensive to anyone, but I think I know how it is reasoned (i.e. you haven't even flown yet, how do you know what you will like, and if you just say you want this over that, you insult the other pilots by acting like their aircraft is lousy) but I was just some dumb newbie, and as told, I "didn't know what I was talking about," so I am a lot more open-minded now; to aviation, I still am a newbie, but to Air Warriors I'm not anymore, so I try not to sound like the idiot I came off as originally.

I also have read some of my previous posts, and realized how stupid many of them sounded originally, and ignorant, so I try not to type so fast or talk as much anymore.

But if I get a technical question on an aircraft, and the Air Warriors search function and google both fail me, I ask it. This IS a site full of pilots.

Seriously, stop being gay. I think we are all tired of it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't Blue Thunder do a loop to kill Malcom McDowell? That's proof enough for me! :D

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
Didn't Blue Thunder do a loop to kill Malcom McDowell? That's proof enough for me! :D

Sadly, half the kids on this site have no idea what "Blue Thunder" is.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
This is getting a little nasty. Perhaps there should be an "aspiring naval aviators" section on the board that noobs can field questions on. If the experienced ones feel like they want to answer questions, they can venture on to this sub-forum and deal with as much of the "what are my chances" questions as they can handle.

Meanwhile we have this "naval aviators" sub-thread, that remains solely for aviators to post on, and others to read if they wish. Just an idea to kick around, as it is quite obvious that there a fair amount of discontent regarding the current setup.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
P.S.- Certain questions can be completely moronic and immature (not talking about anyone in particular), that is without saying. But to those that are naval aviators, give back to the system. There was once a day that you had stupid questions prior to training while you were in or prior to ROTC, PLC, OCS, etc. Someone experienced took the time to explain things to you and help you out. You are looked up to by hundreds of members of this board. It would be very disheartening by those that are aspiring to be, to be put down by those that are. Most of you are great at helping others out and have done so, but others certainly need some work. IMO

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Sadly, half the kids on this site have no idea what "Blue Thunder" is.
That movie kicked ass. Roy Scheider is awesome in that. Remember the TV show spinoff? Less cool.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Godspeed said:
This is getting a little nasty. Perhaps there should be an "aspiring naval aviators" section on the board that noobs can field questions on. If the experienced ones feel like they want to answer questions, they can venture on to this sub-forum and deal with as much of the "what are my chances" questions as they can handle.

Meanwhile we have this "naval aviators" sub-thread, that remains solely for aviators to post on, and others to read if they wish. Just an idea to kick around, as it is quite obvious that there a fair amount of discontent regarding the current setup.
I don't think any of us really mind the silly questions. You just gotta let us vent sometimes ;)

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.