• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can an Apache fly inverted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadsword2004

Okay, perhaps this is a dumb question, but I am just curious because I could swear I once saw in a video somewhere an Apache doing a loop or something. Maybe it is just my memory playing a trick on me, but I figure one of you would probably know.

I googled this and found that most helicopters are not made to fly inverted, but I am not sure if the article was just applying to civilian helos or not. I couldn't find anything on the Apache though.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Broadsword2004 said:
Okay, perhaps this is a dumb question.

At this point, I expect no less!

No helo can "fly" inverted. Ok, ok, ok, I've seen R/C helos hovering inches from the ground inverted. No 'real' helo can fly inverted. Why would they want to? There are a handful that can 'aileron roll' or 'loop', their names escape me. try your friends over at google.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
The british Lynx can do a roll or loop. to go inverted i believe you need a rigid rotor system. I don't know what an AH-64 has.

Helo bubbas, can you back me on this one?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Those R/C helos you see flying inverted have a secondary rotor (albeit much smaller than the main rotor) providing thrust opposite the main rotor. Don't ask how the smaller rotors thrust offsets that of the main rotor, because I have no clue!

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Helos can roll?? What are my chances of getting helos??

In order for a helo to be able to fly upside down, it would have to completely reverse the pitch of its rotors to sustain lift, or suddenly change the direction of rotation (impossible). Helos can roll, but cannot "fly" upside down.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Sustained, level, inverted flight of a rotorcraft would not be possible with any of todays production helicopters - aerobatics is another thing.

Generally speaking if you can maintain a positive G loading during the maneuver it is possible given the mechanical limits of the rotor system. Two bladed "underslung" systems would be excluded from this due to the mast bumping risk -

I've flown both the Eurocopter BK-117 and the B0-105 -hundreds of hours in both - and have easily rolled both well over 110 degrees in wingover maneuvers. Both aircraft have rotor heads that are milled from a sollid block of titanium. Pitch changes in collective and cyclic are accomplished by twisting the root of the rotor blades at the root of the blade where an elstrometric materials or old fashioned "tension torsion straps" sre utilized. A collegue of mine looped a BO-105 over the gulf of mexico.

The limits would be control authority - and keeping your butt strapped into the seat securely enough so you can keep your feet on the pedals during the manuever :)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
inverted helos

Not that I know of, it's not capable of inverted flight. I'll also ask some very recently in the fleet helo bubbas here at USNA for more verification (Both USMC and USN pilots).

But as stated above there are helicoters which are capable of keeping positive g on thier airframe as they perform a loop. See the link below.

http://www.deltaweb.co.uk/eagles/shawbury.htm

r/
G

Attachments

• shaw_lynx.jpg
    shaw_lynx.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 73

Broadsword2004

Okay, now that I re-read my question, I realized I should've phrased it a bit more clearly; I wasn't asking if say, while flying an Apache, the pilot could just suddenly turn the helicopter upside-down and just fly along completely upside down like that; I just meant was the helicopter capable of like loops and barrel rolls and such, because I though I saw one doing it in a video somewhere.

Patmack, what is wrong with asking if a helicopter can go inverted if one isn't sure? I can understand you thinking that if you thought I was asking if the helicopter could just fly its entire mission upside down, but I mean in terms of just doing a loop or something, I was just curious is all.

bigsur009

waiting not so patiently for OCS...
Total threadjack, but am I the only one who's noticed that there are a lot more smartass answers instead of informative ones throughout the site to the so called dumb questions? Patmack, not trying to call you out, but isn't the purpose of this forum to be able to ask questions that you don't know the answer too? It seems that people would rather just trash on "stupid questions" and make fun of the guys asking them instead of help. This site is super-helpful in learning all sorts of info. That's what makes it so good...

Again, not trying to be an *sshole, but just want to point it out.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I couldn't agree with you more bigsur. Airwarriors is a great place to learn about the Navy. Airwarriors helped me throw my BDCP package together a year ago, and now I am selected I contribute a lot of it to this forum.

However, if people would just do simple searches without carelessly starting threads, this forum would be much more efficient. Broadsword: this comment doesn't refer to this thread at all.

I like to give people a hard time whenever I have a chance, but it is all in good fun, and i usually follow up with a constructive comment.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
bigsur009 said:
there are a lot more smartass answers instead of informative ones throughout the site to the so called dumb questions?

but isn't the purpose of this forum to be able to ask questions that you don't know the answer too?

1) You betcha, see #2

2) Not to be a dick, and some others long in the tooth may contradict me, but no it isn't. It is, however the place to ask/talk about naval aviation, the navy/marine corps in general, share sea stories, and in no small part, to learn things about whatever stage of naval aviation you are in (from pre-ocs to getting out).

Questions like this one are, uh, interesting, but at the rate they are popping up on the forums it's getting a little tired. The mods have brought this up in private some time ago; AW is becoming a 'one-stop shopping' forum for all your eLife needs, and some of us don't necessarily believe that's the road it should be taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.