• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bye bye P-cola OCS

ip568

None
AOCS has always been in Pensacola. You're thinking of the movie "Officer and a Gentleman" which depicted AOCS up in a no longer used Navy facility in Port Townsend, WA (across the sound from NAS Whidbey Island). AOCS was never at Port Townsend, nor would it particularly make sense to move it back there, if it had, in fact, been there in the first place. BRAC is about consolidation, not expansion.

When the Navy was asked to cooperate with the making of "An Officer and a Gentleman," they read the script and then said, "Hell, no!" They thought it created a bad impression of AOCS and the Navy. Of course, the Navy was wrong --the movie was a big hit and a recruiting tool. So the producers changed "Pensacola Debs" to "Puget Sound Debs" and filmed in WA.

Moving OCS (or what's left of it since they've dropped all the tough PT requirements and stopped "hands on" training from DIs) to RI makes little sense (bad wx in winter) except for saving on dropping a training base. I suspect part of the reason is that the Navy is building-up the remaining FL bases.

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
ugh I hate myself for even starting this again but here we go:

As a relatively recent OCS grad I'm getting sick of people putting down the "easy" program. Granted at AOCS they made you eat dirt and ask for seconds or beat you repeatedly over the head with a rifle butt or made you run 10 miles over hot coals and granted they've cut out some of that evil sounding stuff.

That said OCS was still mentally and physically very challenging. DIs are still DIs and we had plenty of their love. We still had to perform grueling tasks on near zero sleep and deal with PT,RPT, inspections, drill, academics and military training just like everyone else.

I respect the old hats a ton but I worked my tail off to make it through OCS and I'm very proud of my bars and the 12 (yes, not 13) weeks I spent earning them.

RootinTootin

Anybody have any recent gouge on this? I was reading on USNavyocs.com that it might happen this summer. This I find highly unlikely, but maybe pigs do grow wings sometimes...