• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bye bye P-cola OCS

snizo

Supply Officer
Don't worry - the backup plan is to outsource all OCS programs to the Phillipines. It is cheaper there and we can start beating candidates again.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
firefriendly said:
Didn't the Navy at one time have aocs up in Washington state or Oregon? Why don't they just move it back there? Actually what IS the logical reason for moving OCS, wouldn't it be better to be somewhere in the south where the weather is more constant?
AOCS has always been in Pensacola. You're thinking of the movie "Officer and a Gentleman" which depicted AOCS up in a no longer used Navy facility in Port Townsend, WA (across the sound from NAS Whidbey Island). AOCS was never at Port Townsend, nor would it particularly make sense to move it back there, if it had, in fact, been there in the first place. BRAC is about consolidation, not expansion.

Brett

Reactions: E5B

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
firefriendly said:
thanks brett, so why not consolidate everything in FL, or TX rather than bringing it up to RI? Not that I have anything against the East coast, but as mentioned before, it's not the best location year round.

probably because not everyone who goes through OCS is an aviation, so they might not wind up in FL or TX.... probably the whole reason they got rid of AOCS in the first place.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
firefriendly said:
thanks brett, so why not consolidate everything in FL, or TX rather than bringing it up to RI? Not that I have anything against the East coast, but as mentioned before, it's not the best location year round.
I'm sure BRAC has their reasons, and, unfortunately, do not consult me, so your guess is as good as mine.

Brett

astrov99

NOT a flyboy
firefriendly said:

That is indeed a good question. One that I am certain is answered in nauseating detail in the BRAC proposals. My rational is this: the Naval war College is located at Newport, so the rationale would be that they would consolidate ALL Officer training school at Newport. However, they voted yesterday to keep NPS open in Monterey...go figure.

But when Naval Education and Training left P-Cola for Millington, it kinda left OTC high and dry amidst an Air Station heavily focused on aviation training.

But this is all conjecture. What the truth is is that some beancounters in the Pentagon figured out that they could save X amount of dollars by moving it to Newport. How they came up with this I don't know, nor do I have any interest in finding out. Accounting has never been a hobby of mine, especially Defense Budgets where million dollar bundles are thrown around like Halloween snicker bars.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
astrov99 said:
... Naval war College is located at Newport, so the rationale would be that they would consolidate ALL Officer training school at Newport.

The Navy has an OCS in Pcola? Well, well, when I was in the Navy, OCS was located in Newport Rhode Island.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
firefriendly said:
Isn't that only for restricted line officer training though?

That's OIS. Office Indoctrination School. For Doctors and the like.

snizo

Supply Officer
Newport is where they send guys going in to ROTC late, though, isn't it? Like for them to catch up at the Naval Science Institute?

And also for some of the training that STA-21 guys go through?

That might be a reason...

Of course they could also be sick of rebuilding P'cola after storms...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
snizo said:
Newport is where they send guys going in to ROTC late, though, isn't it? Like for them to catch up at the Naval Science Institute?

No, not when I was in ROTC (2 years ago). Only guys that went there are STA-21.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
OCS Pensacola, Florida was established in April of 1994 when OCS Newport, RI, and Aviation Officer Candidate School (AOCS), Pensacola were consolidated.

flynsail

pilot
astrov99 said:
My rational is this: the Naval war College is located at Newport, so the rationale would be that they would consolidate ALL Officer training school at Newport. However, they voted yesterday to keep NPS open in Monterey...go figure.

NWC is not under OTC. It sounds like you may think that. Chaplain School, STA-21/BOOST, NSI, and OIS are under OTC. NAPS (as someone already mentioned) is there too, but they are their own entity as well.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I know my father went to OCS in Newport in '62. He wasn't NROTC or anything like that, just applyed after he graduated from college.

boobcheese

Fly Navy said:
No, not when I was in ROTC (2 years ago). Only guys that went there are STA-21.
Not true. When I was at NSI two years ago (STA-21) there was an entire company of college programers who were there to catch up with the NROTC curriculum.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
boobcheese said:
Not true. When I was at NSI two years ago (STA-21) there was an entire company of college programers who were there to catch up with the NROTC curriculum.

Hence my qualifier of 2 years ago.