• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brownshoes banned from A-pool inspections!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't pretend to know how significant brown shoes are in the USN but I can recognize when a command is pissed the F off and looking for more people to crush; now might not be the time to stick your head out of the whackamole game that is the pool. This is especially true if you havent done anything yet and don't have anyone to go to bat for you based on your performance.

This is truth. When walking on eggshells...don't hop.

The problem with the "they can't fry us all" axiom is that They can, in fact, fry you all.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Were you in one of the companies at the academy that was fried? Please note, for those outsiders - they fried an entire company.

I wasn't, but I was around when that happened. I believe Wm. J. Clinton pardoned them when he came for graduation.

I was also around for the DepDant's attempt to institute a policy of frying everyone in the company if someone got hit for an alcohol offense. So, if the Boat School teaches you anything, it's to not be surprised by stuff like this in the Fleet.

Incidentally, the DepDant in question was this guy.

Clux4

Banned
That guy was a battalion commander when I was there.

This was my first DepDant, and Capt Snead was my second...

I just think they are not allowing these folks to wear their brown shoes just to make them feel like sh!t. Basically taking away that sense of pride they might have. Kind of like how they took away your sense of pride the first day of boot camp. (Fvcked up hair-cut and all)
I am not in Naval Aviation so I may be wrong.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Proper newbie-JOPA response is to continually wear brown when they haven't prescribed black. If they say you must wear it in formation? Wear them in formation, then change in your car and walk into StuCon with your brown shoes on (more effective if you walk in within 5 minutes of formation/inspection). THAT'S the way to stick it to the man. As long as you're keeping your nose clean, they'll respect it...
The force is strong with this one. That people is how to properly think like a JO.

Reactions: m26

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Were you in one of the companies at the academy that was fried? Please note, for those outsiders - they fried an entire company.

I heard stories of it happening. Legend has it the whole Brigade was once fried. Our DeptDant was a certain Marine Colonel who's last name and "style" lead to the phrase "You got Fuqued." I missed out on being our 1st Lt under him by a semester.

SAMR

pilot
The best pieces of advice I've ever received were:
1) Never pass up an opportunity to shut the F up.
2) Don't say shit for the first six months.

I'm ALL for JOPA shenanigans, but why don't we save that for people who have done more than just phone muster in their illustrious careers. Just because you've grown up feeling entitled, doesn't mean you are actually so. I honestly think that VAPES and Redmidgirl have the right idea here. It would behoove you to heed their advice.

... Technique only.

JOPA is a very powerful tool, yet a dangerous one that can come back to bit you in the a$$. A JO is like a Hyena in the jungle, alone it doesn't stand a chance. But together a pack of Hyenas can take down a Lion (CO, upper chain of command). But also remember that Lion writes your FitRep. :p

I've used and seen JOPA pull off some miraculous things (got a DH bumped from a cruise fly-off once :D). The thing that you need to concern yourself with is two fold. First is this a fight worth fighting? You have to choose your battles within and as JOPA wisely. You can't use JOPA to fight the big man on everything. If you are selective and choose the right fight, you have a better chance and more power then you think.

Second, you will soon learn that many "higher ups" will throw a smoke bomb into the room and see how you react. I had a CO that would constantly talk about or changed things for sake of changing and seeing how JOPA would react. It actually is a good leadership tool to use (although I hated it and still sort of disagree with it) to see how your minions will react. Do they fold like a cheap seat? or come together and band as brothers.

JOPA is there to protect the lonely JO that is getting screwed over by higher echelon. The fact of having to have inspection ready uniform at all times is not the case of "ONE" JO getting screwed over. It is a Command Climate or Command decision that is applied to all and well honestly, suck it up. Want some Kool-Aid? Now if one JO got a pick sheet or was being singled out and that one JO was told to have the inspection ready uniform and not rest of A-pool? Now that is a JOPA fight possibly worth fighting. Otherwise it just sounds and you can come off and bunch of bitchy JO's in ready room.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
good points bolter.... all need to remember that most of the so called "aviators" in question have never been in, seen, smelled or touched a Ready Room! They pitch khaki tents when T-34/T-6s fly over NASC while mustering.... and look at the O course like a historical site.:eek:

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Interesting thread; from several perspectives. It is good to see the younglings able to prioritize what is important. Would have never thought brownshoes would be a hill one would choose to die upon. But hey change is inevitable, no? In my Navy, we hated brownshoes; everyone in khakis wore brownshoes. Hard to keep a spit shine on them, amongst others problems.

But if you really believe in something so dear, stand up for it. We might have gotten a petition going, demanding, brownshoes, make sure at least 90% sign it. Twist a few arms here and there to get all on board. Caution: Make sure all signatures are valid, e.g., have all print their names along with signature so as to verify. Could always march in front of the Commodore's abode, carry signs, loudspeakers, etc. Perhaps next inspection ALL break out into a chant "Brownshoes; Brownshoes". Almost sure to get a reaction.:(:(:(:(

As someone said; "They cannot fire all of us".

Almost exactly what PATCO said to the Gipper that fatefull day.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sir, yes they can. Today we were given, "Were you issued brown shoes in your sea bag? Then inspection will be in your black shoes."

*Facepalm* :(

Notwithstanding the aforementioned fact officers don't have sea bags and don't truly get an initial uniform issue, this is still a BS excuse. I wasn't issued wings either. I earned them. I was expected to wear them as part of my uniform. While some guys in the thread have pointed out that the A pool serfs haven't accomplished anything in the real world, they need not. By designator, a designator they have earned via competitive selection and OCS, ROTC or USNA, they have earned brown shoes. In my day they were issued at AOCS and worn every day. The NROTC and USNA guys bought them on arrival in P-cola. We all had aviation designators and were in an aviation command. I like the idea of requiring brown shoes for all. From a Command perspective it accomplishes the same objective as mandatory black shoes. Yet it unifies, instills pride, respect for tradition and distinction. The Command blew this one. From the JOs perspective, the caution advised here is probably the best course of action. Just tuck this lesson in leadership away and reference it later in your careers. All examples are instructive, even bad ones.