• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brownshoes banned from A-pool inspections!

MasterBates

I think it may be a more endemic 60B/R thing. All the H2 dudes I flew with were cool.

Most HSL guys are great. Most of them also leave.

I know a couple CO-selects that are trying to change some of what JOPA perceived as "Shenanigans" and not the good kind.

I hope they do. I wasn't going to go back there as a DH though. Not enough money in this world.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Kinda off topic, but even my NROTC unit lets me wear brown shoes, since technically I have "wings". Hope I don't have to go digging for a pair of black shoes by the time I get to P-cola and this nonsense blows over. I agree, the color of the shoes doesn't really matter when it comes to your performance as an officer/pilot. But I think we can all agree that brown just simply looks better.:icon_mi_1

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Kinda off topic, but even my NROTC unit lets me wear brown shoes, since technically I have "wings". Hope I don't have to go digging for a pair of black shoes by the time I get to P-cola and this nonsense blows over. I agree, the color of the shoes doesn't really matter when it comes to your performance as an officer/pilot. But I think we can all agree that brown just simply looks better.:icon_mi_1

You have wings, you are in aviation...wear the shoes. If one of the terminal LT's gives you shit about yer shoes, point to the W.O.G. you earned on yer chest and carry on smartly.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mk2 was a UAV that never was quite ready for prime time back in the 70s.

Behold, the QH-50 DASH. But I thought the LAMPS Mk. II was an improved Mk. I that the H-2 couldn't lift. Lead to the -60B.

QH-50A_Flying_off_the_Hazelwood-Color.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Behold, the QH-50 DASH. But I thought the LAMPS Mk. II was an improved Mk. I that the H-2 couldn't lift. Lead to the -60B.

QH-50A_Flying_off_the_Hazelwood-Color.jpg

My landlord at Whidbey was a retired shoe Capt and he said it was very important to test these as soon as possible after putting to sea. I asked if it was because they were so important and he said, no because they often just went and went off on their own and crashed and the was best for all since they otherwise tended to crash on the ship trying to land.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
OK, total threadjack. What WAS LAMPS Mk II?

My best Google-fu could only come up with the following:

To meet Under-Sea Warfare (USW) needs, the United States Navy developed the Light Airborne Multi-Purpose System (LAMPS). The LAMPS role initially was filled (in the early 1970s) by the installation of shipboard equipment and conversion of the Kaman SH-2 Seasprite helicopter (already in the Navy's inventory) to a LAMPS configuration. As that proved successful, the Navy planned for a Mk II version employing similar electronics but different helicopter platforms. In FY 1972, the CNO abandoned LAMPS Mk II in favor of the Mk III system.

Link to entire entry:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/sh-60b.htm

A corroborating link:
http://www.navalhelicopterassn.org/helo page/lamps.htm
So MK II existed only on paper.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What killed the DASH was the technology just wasn't quite up to it yet. The CRUDES CIC controlling the helo directly, without any of those pesky pilots bolloxing things up. The concept is born again as MQ-8 Fire Scout...let's hope it works better this time, for the sake of the money invested.