• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonhomme Richard fire

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a Tesla--doesn't need oil! But that battery has got to be low. Maybe they'll build a solar-powered Supercharger up there.
The battery is likely dead:
If the battery was still working, Starman has listened to Space Oddity 151,881 times since he launched,” the tracking site says. But that's not very likely, because Tesla's battery would only last for about 12 hours after liftoff, Musk said at the Falcon Heavy's post-launch briefing at Kennedy Space Center last year

But spaceman continues its orbits.

exNavyOffRec

Now the BHR is listing to port, they evacuated the pier for a short time when she shifted.

News brief is being held at 2 pm PST and will be live on CBS 8 San Diego.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Elon Musk launched his car into outer space. He launched....his car....into.....space. It has completed an orbit around the sun. So when you say shit like "it's easy to think lofty thoughts" you really sound like a paper pushing, single-minded, unimaginative, negative nancy. Maybe you're not, I'm just saying what it sounds like. The Navy needs more people who are able to think outside the box while simultaneously given the ability to make serious change without fear of failure (within safety limits of course). We should have the capability to try something new, such as @AllAmerican75's suggestion, and still have the strength to say "okay, that didn't work, next idea." When you create a culture in which innovation is oppressed, the organization is going to struggle. Or just keep the status quo where leadership is perpetually worried about being fired and never colors outside the lines -- that's been working great lately.
This is a ridiculous analogy.

First, the idea to switch to the British or Coast Guard model has existed and been debated since long before AllAmerican75 joined the Navy. Let's slow the roll on how new and innovative his idea is.

Second, an idea being different doesn't make it good, and even if it's good it may not be worth the cost to get there. That's great that Elon Musk used his personal financial resources to fly a car into space. What's the punch line for his customers?

Bringing this back to the Navy, I thought that we were discussing means to make fire prevention and response in upkeeps better. Overhauling the manpower system to turnover responsibility of warships to reservist EDOs and TDY sailors doesn't inherently accomplish either.

If this was an aside spitball to address other issues that sailors and officers assigned to SY units face then great...but as BigRed already pointed out this isn't a reversible decision that just gets tried to see what happens. The Navy can't overhaul its manpower model and then say 'oops, nevermind.' So yea, the suggestion should come with a modicum of research on the cost for the Navy to get from point A to point B.

Without that info, the idea gets filed in the same category of good ideas as flat tax and universal basic income.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Any inventors out there: A fire extinguisher attached to a sensor that can detect smoke and auto-target the heat source, without a human in the loop. Put one in all ship spaces or P-ways whenever work is being done on a ship while the firefighting system is offline. Like those machine gun auto-turrets in the Michael Crichton book/film Congo, except with a fire extinguisher. Battery operated, wall mountable or tripod, no cords or hoses to trip over, able to be carried and set up by any adult. It would be cheaper than paying civilian contractors to be trained and incentivized to actually try to fight a fire rather than just evacuate.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
source.gif

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Any inventors out there: A fire extinguisher attached to a sensor that can detect smoke and auto-target the heat source, without a human in the loop. Put one in all ship spaces or P-ways whenever work is being done on a ship while the firefighting system is offline. Like those machine gun auto-turrets in the Michael Crichton book/film Congo, except with a fire extinguisher. Battery operated, wall mountable or tripod, no cords or hoses to trip over, able to be carried and set up by any adult. It would be cheaper than paying civilian contractors to be trained and incentivized to actually try to fight a fire rather than just evacuate.
Fire can still come through the ceiling

antonkr

Already a thing!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CNO presser in San Diego; looks like he's personally walked the ship. Of note, he did remark in passing that the CO made "some good decisions" firefighting . . . dunno if that has any bearing on which particular heads may or may not roll in the aftermath.

On a separate note, what is with this vertical video bullshit? People have TVs and monitors, and if you have a phone, you can turn it. Grumble, grumble, grumble . . .

BigRed389

None
CNO presser in San Diego; looks like he's personally walked the ship. Of note, he did remark in passing that the CO made "some good decisions" firefighting . . . dunno if that has any bearing on which particular heads may or may not roll in the aftermath.

On a separate note, what is with this vertical video bullshit? People have TVs and monitors, and if you have a phone, you can turn it. Grumble, grumble, grumble . . .

TAO of STARK both got DFC'd and an award for getting hit and efforts to save the ship - Big Navy can be fickle. Really will depend on the investigation outcome I'd imagine, but given the circumstances (there effectively is no ship to command - almost no command to really get DFC'd from) I'd like to think anything but the most direct, egregious culpability won't go punitive.

On a positive note, the accounts of blueshirts firefighting actions were, as usual, just inspiring.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
TAO of STARK both got DFC'd and an award for getting hit and efforts to save the ship - Big Navy can be fickle. Really will depend on the investigation outcome I'd imagine, but given the circumstances (there effectively is no ship to command - almost no command to really get DFC'd from) I'd like to think anything but the most direct, egregious culpability won't go punitive.

On a positive note, the accounts of blueshirts firefighting actions were, as usual, just inspiring.
I'm guessing you don't mean Distinguished Flying Cross when you say DFC.

I see a lot of traffic on social media from SWO types and former shipmates of mine that are now out, and the feeling I get is a strange one. Mostly people are posting pictures of the event, and cheering on their shipmates that are involved fighting the fire. That's a great take. What bothers me is when people are essentially showering gatorade on each other because the fire is out, or they got a different ship underway that was affected by smoke from the fire, or they supported their shipmates from a different ship in their attempts, etc.

This ship is fucked. There was no victory here. This is a significant set back. And oh, by they way, if this happened in China do you think we would be seeing all these pictures online? Am I the only one that thinks we need a serious reevaluation of our OPSEC standards? Why are helo crewmembers taking pictures, and posting them online? What purpose does that serve?