• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonhomme Richard fire

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
@Spekkio

I just asked my FFD Battalion Captain friend at Pearl Harbor.

Any in port sub fire at Pearl (and any US base per published SOP) will get a FFD response. They drill weekly on an port sub with the sub’s crew. The sub CO can not allow the FFD on board but he is then breaking standard procedures and will probably be explaining to a lot of people for a long time why he made that decision.

He doesn’t know if this was SOP during the USS Miami fire as he wasn’t at Pearl then but at Schofield Barracks FFD station.
The SOP prior to Miami was that the FD didn't drill with ships. After the FD all took a tour of subs and had to drill monthly with the ship that included going into it (PNSY).

Each SY does business differently, and it's not surprising that hard lessons learned in NH didn't make it to HI. In fact I had already heard this so you just confirmed it from the other side of the fence.

Regardless, not going on the ship is what I'm talking about. Sailors had to go with them to lead them around. Their first reaction was pretty much a 'you want us to go down there?!? Are you nuts?'

'Well, yes. There's a nuclear reactor and you can't just turn it off.'

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

You don't have to do any of that.

Lessons identified but not learned from Miami:

1) Train civilians to expend a full CO2 extinguisher before evacuating. Even if that doesn't put out the fire, it buys valuable time.

2) Fork over the thousands of dollars it takes to rig a temp inert gas suppression system to save the potential loss of billions and a national asset.

3) You need some kind of rapid portable breathing system to substitute for taking down EABs.

Anyone who thinks this problem can be saved by 'moar watchstanders' hasn't been on a ship lately. The amount of people you're going to need to pass the 95% CI, let alone 99%, of finding and putting out the fire before the space gets smoked out (2 min) is infeasible. Plus most if not all of the ship's DC gear is inoperable. We need better mitigations for that (1 and 2 above), not throwing sailors at the problem.

Many years ago the Abraham Lincoln had a fire while inport in a maintenance period (it was either after hours or weekend), the only reason the fire did not get out of control is because reactor department is always in a low duty section rotation and they were able to man repair lockers with duty personnel and get the fire out.

I don't know how feasible for a sub this would be as I don't know about how their duty sections work as far as number of people, so maybe from your standpoint more people wouldn't help. I will say from my standpoint on larger ships reducing duty sections to increase people on duty would help.

exNavyOffRec

Is she still on fire?

according to Naval Surface Forces twitter account she still is, probably a few hot spots like they talked about yesterday.

I have noticed that the tugs helping with the firefighting have been or appear to be from different companies each day.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yeah he definitely took out his jump to conclusions mat.

However, let me list the problems with the stuff I bolded.

1. A fire doesn’t care which day of the week it is.
  2. A fire doesn’t care which stage of its FRP or O-FRP or whatever it’s called cycle is.
  3. Tagging out ALL DC systems simultaneously is asinine and is further exacerbated by allowing it to happen on a weekend or with just the normal duty section and not more DC personnel.
  4. Even if the CO did bark like you said, WHO told him to shut up and color (and thus, who else shares some of the blame)?
This obviously isn’t all-encompassing. But those first three factors can’t be overlooked. And if an enthusiast on the internet can see the issues, imagine what sort of conclusions a bunch of really smart people can draw.
1 and 2: Correct. So what evidence do you or the article's author have that the crew didn't perform up to standards?

3: Also correct. This decision is made by the lead maintenance activity, not the ship's CO. The CO has various levels of influence over it (depending on the type of avail), but ultimately if this is SOP for the LMA how is a single CO going to move that mountain and keep his job?

4: If he did bark, ISIC and the RSG commodore. I'm sure the Navy will find a way to hold the CO accountable because of 'ultimate responsibility' for the ship, but I offer that's a shallow analysis.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Many years ago the Abraham Lincoln had a fire while inport in a maintenance period (it was either after hours or weekend), the only reason the fire did not get out of control is because reactor department is always in a low duty section rotation and they were able to man repair lockers with duty personnel and get the fire out.
You're talking about the number of people in a duty section and I'm talking about the number of roving watchstanders.

SlickAg

pilot
1 and 2: Correct. So what evidence do you or the article's author have that the crew didn't perform up to standards?

3: Also correct. This decision is made by the lead maintenance activity, not the ship's CO. The CO has various levels of influence over it (depending on the type of avail), but ultimately if this is SOP for the LMA how is a single CO going to move that mountain and keep his job?

4: If he did bark, ISIC and the RSG commodore. I'm sure the Navy will find a way to hold the CO accountable because of 'ultimate responsibility' for the ship, but I offer that's a shallow analysis.
I don’t have an issue with the crew’s performance. Clearly, they were dealt a shitty hand. I have an issue that the Navy put the crew in that situation in the first place, and my expectation as a tax-payer is that a ship be manned and capable of fighting a fire 24/7/365. My expectation as a naval officer is probably the same.

The author might have jumped the gun on laying blame, but short of an act of terrorism, is this okay that this happened? Look at the condition of that ship now. Do we just shrug our shoulders and “say welp, it was in maintenance phase and we were taking acceptable amounts of risk. Gotta expect some losses in this line of work.”? If this is SOP for ships in the yards and/or the maintenance phase, then I’d argue we have a bigger issue on our hands.

exNavyOffRec

You're talking about the number of people in a duty section and I'm talking about the number of roving watchstanders.

They are linked (at least on a CVN), the ability to go to more duty sections was done by reducing or combining duties of roving watches. We even did that in reactor department however they kept us from maximizing duty sections. On my first ship to man watches inport on the MMR side would take a minimum of 16 split between 2 MMR's, when I left the ship for the last time the MMR side would take a minimum of 8 again split between 2 MMR's, that was done by combining or eliminating several roving watches. Instead of a roving watch checking a space once every 2 hours it became once every 4 hours.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I don’t have an issue with the crew’s performance. Clearly, they were dealt a shitty hand. I have an issue that the Navy put the crew in that situation in the first place...
If you're a commissioned officer there's no 'the Navy' because you and I are a part of that generic term. There are individual people who routinely made risk decisions to do business the way we do because it's never been an issue before and because that was the cheapest and fastest way to get a ship back out to sea.

I agree there are some lessons to be re-learned about upkeep planning and risk mitigation. See my previous posts.

But chalking this up to a lack of readiness to wage war? That's a leap too far.

SlickAg

pilot
If you're a commissioned officer there's no 'the Navy' because you and I are a part of that generic term. There are individual people who routinely made risk decisions to do business the way we do because it's never been an issue before and because that was the cheapest and fastest way to get a ship back out to sea.

I agree there are some lessons to be re-learned about upkeep planning and risk mitigation. See my previous posts.

But chalking this up to a lack of readiness to wage war? That's a leap too far.
I would argue that everyone in 'the Navy' is 'the Navy', not just commissioned officers, so I'm not quite sure what you're driving at there. There were clearly lots of levels of failure here, otherwise we wouldn't have a ship that will either take billions of dollars and years to be repair, or decommissioned and stricken.

He's not talking about this as an isolated incident. He's saying that this incident, along with the ones below, are specific examples of how the Navy has lost its way.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
This isn’t a new problem. This has been reality for a long time and the solution will continue to be innovative practices and ideas that look good on paper and turn the right boxes in the readiness tracker or whatever green.

Manpower is a fixed cost. So are ships. But remember, the “355 ship Navy” isn’t happening until the 2050s. The money for that fleet has to come from somewhere.

This kills two birds with one stone. Save the fixed operating cost of x amount of ships for y amount of years (good stewards of the taxpayers’ dollars), more personnel means more people to do upkeep and maintenance, and the increased duty section lessens covid exposure out in town while increasing your DC capability onboard (good stewards of the taxpayers’ assets).

I think I’m going to put myself in for a comm.

We already have ships which are long overdue for maintenance and maintenance availabilities which have been shortened. This has been going on for a long time. Upping the OPTEMPO and keeping ships at sea for even longer periods of time will mean that even more maintenance is missed. To keep things UNCLASS and out of the FOUO territory, we need to reduce OPTEMPO and focus on getting ships fixed. We've built up a debt in material readiness that we will have to pay at some point and the last thing we can afford is having ships decommissioned early because we ran them too hard and didn't give them enough time for upkeep.

You don't have to do any of that.

Lessons identified but not learned from Miami:

1) Train civilians to expend a full CO2 extinguisher before evacuating. Even if that doesn't put out the fire, it buys valuable time.

2) Fork over the thousands of dollars it takes to rig a temp inert gas suppression system to save the potential loss of billions and a national asset.

3) You need some kind of rapid portable breathing system to substitute for taking down EABs.

Anyone who thinks this problem can be saved by 'moar watchstanders' hasn't been on a ship lately. The amount of people you're going to need to pass the 95% CI, let alone 99%, of finding and putting out the fire before the space gets smoked out (2 min) is infeasible. Plus most if not all of the ship's DC gear is inoperable. We need better mitigations for that (1 and 2 above), not throwing sailors at the problem.

1. Ordering civilians to do anything requires contracts and usually money. Telling civilians that they need to remain in the space for any length of time requires the contractor to assume risk to their personnel which means more money in the contract. You would also have to specify that training in the contract, which means more money.

2. Inert gas suppression systems are not always easy or ideal. We have Halon in our engineering spaces and tag them out regularly when we do maintenance. Again, you would have to either have ship's force down there ready to activate it or train and require civilians to do it. See my comments for contracting in regards to civilians.

3. We have emergency air canisters in each engineering space called EEBDs. These are designed as escape air, not firefighting air. If you expect civilians to do firefighting, see my comments about contracting once again.

His take isn't bad because of the impact to losing the ship. His take is bad because he is attributing the cause to poor warfare readiness when no facts have been released about the cause of the fire. For all we know it could be another case of arson. It could be someone doing hotwork carelessly. It could be something otherwise only imaginable.

This wasn't a full crew operating at sea taking fire while battlestations was manned. This was a Sunday duty section during a maintenance upkeep. The decision to tag out all the DC gear simultaneously was most likely made outside the hull by people more interested in meeting the upkeep deadlines than safety of ship. The CO could have tried to bark (and maybe he did), but would have been told to shut up and color, 'this is what we do'... Because it is what they do all the time.

Tagging firefighting systems out is common and needed when work is being done on those systems. Firefighting equipment (SCBAs, EEBDs, etc.) is also often removed from the ship during this period to both make room for yardbirds to do work and to accomplish any periodic maintenance on said equipment such as hydrostatic testing. Our stance is usually to keep as much of our firefighting capability online as possible but that decision is made between the RMC management staff, the ship's CO/XO, the ship's CHENG/DCO/DCA, NAVSEA technical warrant holders, and the contractors themselves. It is often not feasible to keep these systems online as they need to either be dismantled to get to places that need work or the systems themselves are being worked on (as they often do). There are also safety elements to consider, such as shutting off firemain pumps when there are divers below working on the hull.

Yeah he definitely took out his jump to conclusions mat.

However, let me list the problems with the stuff I bolded.

1. A fire doesn’t care which day of the week it is.
  2. A fire doesn’t care which stage of its FRP or O-FRP or whatever it’s called cycle is.
  3. Tagging out ALL DC systems simultaneously is asinine and is further exacerbated by allowing it to happen on a weekend or with just the normal duty section and not more DC personnel.
  4. Even if the CO did bark like you said, WHO told him to shut up and color (and thus, who else shares some of the blame)?
This obviously isn’t all-encompassing. But those first three factors can’t be overlooked. And if an enthusiast on the internet can see the issues, imagine what sort of conclusions a bunch of really smart people can draw.

1 & 2. But we do and we accept an increased level of risk of fire and flooding in maintenance periods so that we can accomplish the much needed work that the ship needs. See my comments about the debt of maintenance work that the ENTIRE fleet has.

3. This is common practice and is not asinine. It's a factor of life in the way the ship is built and what is being done during the availability.

4. This is a symbiotic decision made by all involved in the ship's maintenance (RMC personnel, contractors, ISIC, NAVSEA technical warrant holders, and ship's force). There is often much discussion and review of the work that must be accomplished before any decision is made.

SlickAg

pilot
We already have ships which are long overdue for maintenance and maintenance availabilities which have been shortened. This has been going on for a long time. Upping the OPTEMPO and keeping ships at sea for even longer periods of time will mean that even more maintenance is missed. To keep things UNCLASS and out of the FOUO territory, we need to reduce OPTEMPO and focus on getting ships fixed. We've built up a debt in material readiness that we will have to pay at some point and the last thing we can afford is having ships decommissioned early because we ran them too hard and didn't give them enough time for upkeep.

1 & 2. But we do and we accept an increased level of risk of fire and flooding in maintenance periods so that we can accomplish the much needed work that the ship needs. See my comments about the debt of maintenance work that the ENTIRE fleet has.

3. This is common practice and is not asinine. It's a factor of life in the way the ship is built and what is being done during the availability.

4. This is a symbiotic decision made by all involved in the ship's maintenance (RMC personnel, contractors, ISIC, NAVSEA technical warrant holders, and ship's force). There is often much discussion and review of the work that must be accomplished before any decision is made.
I agree with you that the piper needs to be paid. But I don’t think there is ever a good time. Example: South China Sea.

As for number 3, in my non-SWO opinion, the current condition of BHR should tell you that it should NOT be common practice.

Overall, I’m surprised at some of the not exactly apathy but sort of from the non-aviation people here. It is SO incredibly lucky that no one died from this. Losing a ship like this is already inexcusable. Losing lives to this would’ve been tragic.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Your arguments against training civilians and installing temp suppression systems seem relatively easily overcome as long as someone senior enough wants to do it.

As for the rest of the stuff... appreciate the download. I've done an eng tour and have experience with both drydocked and pier side upkeeps. I know that tagging out everything is SOP. Fought plenty of 'this plan is asinine, let's do this instead' battles which entailed doing someone else's job who usually got paid more. Sometimes for safety, sometimes to protect the crew from working on weekends / holidays. Won most, lost some, but never had to ask the crew to work on a Saturday or Sunday.

But I offer this perspective: the Cheng and CO of Bonhomme are going to be on the hot seat for making similar decisions my CO and I made under the same schedule pressure and organizational norms...they just got unlucky (for reasons yet to be determined). That resonates with me.

If we're willing to lose a ship once a decade or so I guess we can chalk that up to the cost of doing business and maybe we can fire the CO to make everyone feel better. Or we can find ways make it better without breaking the backs of the crew.

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I agree with you that the piper needs to be paid. But I don’t think there is ever a good time. Example: South China Sea.

As for number 3, in my non-SWO opinion, the current condition of BHR should tell you that it should NOT be common practice.

Overall, I’m surprised at some of the not exactly apathy but sort of from the non-aviation people here. It is SO incredibly lucky that no one died from this. Losing a ship like this is already inexcusable. Losing lives to this would’ve been tragic.

Eventually you run out of time to pay the piper. You either choose when you need to pay him or the enemy and fate do. We need a full reevaluation of our operational priorities and strategic priorities as a nation.

Shit happens and it's all about making informed risk decisions. Often times, there is not any way to keep the firemain and fire suppression systems online and accomplish the work. This is due to safety, mechanical interference, or the system itself is being worked on. Ship maintenance availabilities are complex evolutions with a lot of stuff going on all at the same time.

Your arguments against training civilians and installing temp suppression systems seem relatively easily overcome as long as someone senior enough wants to do it.

As for the rest of the stuff... appreciate the download. I've done an eng tour and have experience with both drydocked and pier side upkeeps. I know that tagging out everything is SOP. Fought plenty of 'this plan is asinine, let's do this instead' battles which entailed doing someone else's job who usually got paid more. Sometimes for safety, sometimes to protect the crew from working on weekends / holidays. Won most, lost some, but never had to ask the crew to work on a Saturday or Sunday.

But I offer this perspective: the Cheng and CO of Bonhomme are going to be on the hot seat for making the same decisions my CO and I made...they just got unlucky (for reasons yet to be determined). That resonates with me.

If we're willing to lose a ship once a decade or so I guess we can chalk that up to the cost of doing business and maybe we can fire the CO to make everyone feel better. Or we can find ways make it better without breaking the backs of the crew.

I really think we should adopt the USCG's method of ship maintenance where they hand the ship over to their EDOs and the contractor and provide a small rotating portion of the crew for technical stuff. This means that the burden is now entirely on the contractor to safeguard the ship and take every precaution to not damage it. The current hybrid model we have where ship's force is on board along with contractors leads to too much ambiguity of responsibility.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I really think we should adopt the USCG's method of ship maintenance where they hand the ship over to their EDOs and the contractor and provide a small rotating portion of the crew for technical stuff. This means that the burden is now entirely on the contractor to safeguard the ship and take every precaution to not damage it. The current hybrid model we have where ship's force is on board along with contractors leads to too much ambiguity of responsibility.
This doesn't attack the root cause of the fire. This incident can happen regardless of who is responsible.

I agree from a QOL and training perspective that the USCG model would be better in drydocked availabilities lasting more than 12 mo. However, it would require a LOT more EDOs and shore side sailors that the Navy doesn't have. And if you haven't paid attention lately, the Navy just cut BAH and retirement benefits last decade, so I don't think there's an appetite to increase spending on manpower. Additionally, from a practical perspective, the yards are already primarily responsible for the safe execution of the work package.

But this fire happened pier side during an I or A-avail, so all of that is moot.

exNavyOffRec

This doesn't attack the root cause of the fire. This incident can happen regardless of who is responsible.

I agree from a QOL and training perspective that the USCG model would be better in drydocked availabilities lasting more than 12 mo. However, it would require a LOT more EDOs and shore side sailors that the Navy doesn't have. And if you haven't paid attention lately, the Navy just cut BAH and retirement benefits last decade, so I don't think there's an appetite to increase spending on manpower. Additionally, from a practical perspective, the yards are already primarily responsible for the safe execution of the work package.

But this fire happened pier side during an I or A-avail, so all of that is moot.

Not sure if it really matters but I am pretty sure she had been in drydock and then moved out of drydock to finish the work she needed done. The only thing I could see being different if she was still in drydock is that the tugs wouldn't be able to spray water on her.