• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Low Level Routes

p1brule

Frenchy
pilot
I'm heading off to do some low levels here in a few weeks. Just wondering if people could chime in on what are some of their favorite IR and VR routes out there. Thanks,

Frenchy

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VR-1355, goes right through the Cascades. It is something else to weave through valleys with nothing but mountains on either side of you, doing ridge crossings over waterfalls and mountain lakes. If it was that good in a Prowler I can't imagine how good it will be in a non-G limited Growler.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P1B,
Are you looking for student LL, or ANY LL anywhere?

STUD LL: VR189/1182 (Ft Smith, AR)
Best: VR-1355 (WA/OR)

-ea6bflyr ;)

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
VR840 in Maine is very nice, especially if you time it to see the leaves turning colors in the early Fall. Land at Brunswick, have a nice lobster roll for lunch at Fat Boys, buy some lobsters to go at the place just outside the gate, and be home in time for dinner!

large_FatboyMini_KarstenMoran.jpg

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
VR-1355, goes right through the Cascades. It is something else to weave through valleys with nothing but mountains on either side of you, doing ridge crossings over waterfalls and mountain lakes. If it was that good in a Prowler I can't imagine how good it will be in a non-G limited Growler.

Not bad....

But I would go with a VR-1350 PT A entry down to Boardman and VR-1355 return.

For unitiated, launch from Whidbey, hit PT A ~20 nm to the east. Low level over the Cascades and down the Columbia River valley. Get to the Boardman target range and get right on the 1355 without climbing. Back up the spince of the Cascades ending up ~15 nm east of Whidbey, VFR to the break.

1+45 (or so) flight with 1+30 at 200', 420 kts in a 6.5 G Intruder. Heck, we used to do 200' low levels in Prowlers as well.

Here is the 1355 at 200' (north end of Bumping Lake if my memory is still working)
a6valley.jpg

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I'm also a fan of the Orange route in southern Japan - in this vid of a section, all you need is some flak to make it seem like something out of The Bridges at Toko Ri...

watch

cisforsmasher

pilot
p1b, the standard student trip out west is pretty awesome. 259, 239 (those two numbers may be flipped), 299, 1266 (twice), then 222 to vegas or 259/239 back to phoenix. Either 239 or 259 starts west of el paso and leads towards phoenix and the other starts NW of Phoenix and does a loop around it in the mountains. That was a great route with lots of ridges and canyons. 299 flies right down the colorado river but is otherwise flat. Regas in yuma or el centro then hit the 1266. Gas up again then fly either to vegas or back to phoenix for another night of partying.

Firebert

Not a good Commando name
pilot
There a lot of good ones through the Smokey Mountians in the Tenn, West VA, VA and N. Carolina area. Cant remember the names, but they are pretty good. Not 1355 good, but decent.