• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beechcraft Bonanza

snort

Banned
After I retired,. I flew a friends Bonanza. Have about 100 hrs in type, and it's OK< but I wouldn't recommend it.

Umm... last post was re an RX-7? Guys, stick with the thread.

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
This is where I'm leaning. I've got a 2-car garage at home that's looking pretty empty! Very affordable and with the quickbuild kit, shouldn't consume the next 3 years of my life. Now, if I can just get my wife to bite off on it!

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-10int.htm

The RV-7 is an even better deal and may be more practical as a first time builder.

I think it would be awesome to build your own plane. I would be too affraid of jacking it up though. Airplanes are one of those things that you want to work perfectly. Check out my earlier post about the glass goose. Now that is a pretty sexy homebuilt and its amphibious.

FlytheBall

pilot
AOPA just had a great article on how aviation insurance works and how much of it you need.

There were parts of the article that applied to both renters and owners. You should definitely understand the insurance side before you invest. Just like the aforementioned ADs, insurance cost could significantly affect what type of a/c you want to buy.

@ FlytheBall: sugar mamma? It's OK to admit. I'm lookin' for one myself;)

I wish man, it would definately help out the situation thats for sure. I dont think we are going to find any in Milton or Corpus though....sigh.

FlytheBall

pilot
I dunno ... Bonanza's are dangerous ... the Cascades are peppered with these. Every time I see one of these paired with a doctor or a lawyer --- they crash. :):eek:

Its a good thing I'm not a doctor or a lawyer and never will me....well i might become a lawyer if i suddenly develop night blindness and the navy wont let me fly anymore....although I dont think i would have much time for a bonanza since I would be out of the office all the time fighting the axis of evil.......god i miss JAG.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mefesto said:
However we were looking for something more fun oriented and cheap. Like a Kitfox or something.

A friend of the family was responsible for designing the Kitfox for the company. The amusing part was that he was a naval archetect (designed a boat my folks had when I was younger, a Flicka) but then got turned on to airplanes.

I've flown a RV-4 and that was a lot of fun, although cramped. I'm guessing a side by side is still tight, but has a little more room.

I was told one could potentially save some bucks by keeping their aircraft on base (with the proper authorization, of course). It's said to be one of the little known facts of private aviation and benefit of being a military pilot.

Good luck with your decision/purchase.

-jai5w4

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Ahhh, yes the Lemoore flying club. Back when Capt. Rutherford was the base C.O. he was the worst guy to go flying with, with anybody else you got yoke time, but with him, his hands were glued to that thing. Although he was great to talk to.

JIMMY

ive heard the rv-10 is the easiest/and shortest build time out of them all. i think the 8 looks the coolest though.

JIMMY

without taking the time to look, i believe the 9 or 10 does. man, the coolest would be to have your A&P, and you AE, and build one. (someday:))

EDIT: the 10 has the highest gross weight, so im guessing it has the best useful load

JIMMY

glasair III comes with a lycoming IO-540-K. 6 cyl is EXPENSIVE to operate. notice they dont list the GPH (unless i missed it), but maintenance alone... still... thats a lot of a good time :D

the rv stuff can be equipped with smaller 4cyl..

FlytheBall

pilot
joboy666 said:
if a glasair is 48k, and is SO much better than the RV's...why would anyone go with RV? Even the cheapest RV is about 40-50k JUST for the plane. That doesn't include paint tools or anything else. I didn't realize the complete kit was only 48K for the glasair. I've heard great things!

Thats 48k for the firewall aft...doesnt include avionics and the engine...which are freaking expensive. Iwould say you are looking at at least 100k once its all said and done. Not to mention the maint. as previously mentioned. But yes, it would be freaking awesome to own something that could crank around at 6 G's.