• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beechcraft Bonanza

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
I am looking at purchasing a Beech Bonanza. Anyone have any experience owning a beech ie maint. costs, operating cost etc? Are there any other types i should be considering? Here is my reasoning:

Boanza:
225HP, cheaper, retract, fast

Arrows:
less hp, more expensive and hard to find an older one, not as fast

Mooneys:
ugly, less hp, seems like they would be a biatch to maintain, also not as fast

Any thoughts?

FlytheBall

pilot
Only 1400 a year for insurance for me. The cirrus and lancairs are too expensive. They arent old enough to be economical for me. The bonanzas seem to be the cheapest i've found and in the nicest condition compared to the mooneys. Done quite a lot of research and the Bonanza seems to come out the cheapest. Maint. seems to be hit or miss. Some say you will spend a lot, and others say parts are easy to find etc. Either way, any plane will be expensive.

FlytheBall

pilot
I was never really big into the high wing cessnas. Its an older C35. No car payment, and hardly any student loans and looking for a partner. I think its very doable. Oviously its going to cost money, but thats expected when getting an airplane.

KSUFLY

pilot
Have you looked at a Cherokee 235. Very nice airplane, not complex, reasonable fuel burn/airspeed, actual 4 passenger aircraft.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've always wanted to fly a Lancair, just to see if it was as smooth and sleek as it looks. I'd second the question about "needing" a 6 person airplane.

FlytheBall

pilot
Its not a 6 person plane, its a 4 person plane. Maybe you are thinking of the newer 36's. This is an older 4 seater V-tail.

KSUFLY

pilot
Mefesto said:
Sounds like a great idea, until you need to break the seal 45 minutes into a 2.5 hour flight. Not that I'm speaking from experience (Seneca III + 5 college buddies all CFII's, 1 sober pilot, and a weekend 4th of july trip).

As far as the C35 "doctor killer" I'd def contact the Bonanza owners society... prob. your best source of information. Personally, if you're looking to go into a partnership, I'd do a C-310 A or B. THAT'S just a cool airplane, with the old tuna tanks and straight tail.

C-310...good thinking. Twin cessnas are nice. Maybe he should get a C-421 or better yet the C-441 with the Dash 10 engines. And as for the breaking the seal problem refer to...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17590

FlytheBall

pilot
The guy I am taking the bonanza from has a 310 and he regrets it. Had to put way too much money into it and he said the maint. is twice what his bonanza cost him. But they are sexy. But seriously how cool would it be to own your own plane? I think it'd be worth it....one of those lifetime dream things.

FlytheBall

pilot
I am looking in the 40k-50k range...so granted those 310s are decent....still well out of my price range.

FlytheBall

pilot
I think with a partner it would be decently affordable and doable....going solo though....seems like its going to take a lot of cash.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Ya Fly Navy and I actually had planned on partnering on an airplane... then the moron had to go all left coast on me.

That'll teach you to trust Fly Navy...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Ya Fly Navy and I actually had planned on partnering on an airplane... then the moron had to go all left coast on me.

Hey now, don't hate. Hopefully I'll get myself back to the right coast.