• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-52 mistakenly loaded/flies with Nukes...idiots

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....."Bullet" may well be "j10b" who posted this on a Bass forum:....
Bass forum?? A fisherman, too ..... ala Skeeterman AND Snort??? Fishing aficionados, all .... :eek:

What is it with fishermen??? Mebbe there IS some meat behind the ol' saw about lies, little lies, white lies, damn lies, ...... and "a fisherman's tale..."???:D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too much mercury and DDT in the fish they eat must do something to their minds...

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Or maybe they are doing the wrong kind of fishing...
Brokeback-Mountain.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't check...seems to me that a guy who clearly talks out his ass about one thing, (UAV's) is very likely to do the same about others...

Besides, my issue is him, not what he may or may not know.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im out of this one. PM me if you want to know whats what.

you should have gotten a good idea from my posts preivous but thats fine. There is too much of a firestorm going on right. So PM Me Im out of the public arena

So we did send him a Mod Team query immediately (last night) and he has yet to reply and tell us "what is what".

For edification of posters/viewers, his profile here DOES NOT match his posts elswhere so he has been asked to establish who he claims to be (via posts as claimed...anyone think an IT guy from NH who drives a fast boat and car has any street cred related to the BUFF and the recent incident?). That said, we have tracked him on other forums claiming to be a mission ready B-52 guy and a MQ-1 guy with rank of O-2 in USAF (anyone think that's a lot of experinece for an O-2?).

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Ok, let me get this straight.... Nuclear weapons traditionally didn't have any identifying marks with the exception of their serial numbers... Now, modern nuclear ordanace has a stainless steel tip, easily identifying them.... I caught that much.

I have a few questions that perplexed me ever since I read this news story... Maybe you can clear them up Hal...

Nukes are traditionally secured in areas separate from conventional ordinance? If so how secure are these areas? Are there any reasons, to your knowledge, that nukes weren't clearly identified? Call me rudimentary, but if I were in charge, i'd want to paint the things hot pink with purple polka dots, making them easily distinguishable in an ordinance hangar.

Lastly, I don't know how much of this is classified and how much isn't, but how are nuclear bombs armed? I know how it all works with subs, but are nuke tipped gravity bombs armed with a plethora of keys and codes?

I am just at a complete loss, despite reading this thread, as to how someone could just casually throw these things on a B-52 with all the fail safes I thought to be in place.

Thanks.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Call me rudimentary, but if I were in charge, i'd want to paint the things hot pink with purple polka dots, making them easily distinguishable in an ordinance hangar.

Why? So the bad guys can see which ones are nukes and which ones aren't?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
And this is any different from the other paygrades from E-1 thru O-3?

All those Marine Gunnys, 1stSgts, and SgtMajs, plus all those Navy Chiefs are going to be quite upset to be told they don't know their asses from holes in the ground!:D

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Why? So the bad guys can see which ones are nukes and which ones aren't?

No, so a bunch of airmen could see which ones were nukes, and which ones weren't; thus hopefully preventing them from accidentally loading them on a B-52.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Ok, let me get this straight.... Nuclear weapons traditionally didn't have any identifying marks with the exception of their serial numbers... Now, modern nuclear ordanace has a stainless steel tip, easily identifying them.... I caught that much.

I have a few questions that perplexed me ever since I read this news story... Maybe you can clear them up Hal...

Nukes are traditionally secured in areas separate from conventional ordinance? If so how secure are these areas? Are there any reasons, to your knowledge, that nukes weren't clearly identified? Call me rudimentary, but if I were in charge, i'd want to paint the things hot pink with purple polka dots, making them easily distinguishable in an ordinance hangar.

Lastly, I don't know how much of this is classified and how much isn't, but how are nuclear bombs armed? I know how it all works with subs, but are nuke tipped gravity bombs armed with a plethora of keys and codes?

I am just at a complete loss, despite reading this thread, as to how someone could just casually throw these things on a B-52 with all the fail safes I thought to be in place.

Thanks.
Nukes are stored in a separate magazines with armed guards. There always has to be 2 men present if anyone is in the magazine.

Not all nukes stainless steal. The older (retired) B-43 was painted white. It's replacement, the B-61 was left stainless steel as it was less maintenance and less chance of paint chips, etc getting inside when doing the preventive/routine maintnenance and inspections. In the Navy world, even a scratch in the paint on a nuke required an OPREP-3 to be sent.

It is easy to tell the difference between a nuke bomb and a conventional bomb. It is hard to tell the difference between a nuke bomb with the nuclear package removed and one with the nuclear package installed. It is also hard to tell the different between a nuke BUD (training shape) and an actual nuke unless you know specifically what to look for. Further, the Buds are handles 98% the same as the real weapons. The Buds are not painted blue like conventional ones are.

I'm not getting into the rest of your questions for security reasons.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nukes are stored in a separate magazines with armed guards. ........The older (retired) B-43 was painted white......

The nuke magazine on an aircraft carrier was truly a thing to behold in the old days. I had occasion to visit a few times. Talk about "white glove" treatment and attitudes amongst all personnel ...

It was so clean, you could eat off those B-43's ... ahhhhhh, be still, my fission beating heart ... :)