• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-52 mistakenly loaded/flies with Nukes...idiots

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got to wonder if that changes their decision to hit the jettison button if they have aircraft engine or flight control problems during the flight, specifically at takeoff or close to landing?

The article did say they were mounted on pylons, but perhaps it could also be an internal pylon...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
They have mounted muntitions on the wing as well...but primarily internal...

b52-bombs.jpg

B-52's typically carry cruise missiles on their two internal rotary launchers but I think this particular cruise missile does not fit or work with the internal launcher. So they would load them on the external shoulder station.

What was actually loaded.

Advanced Cruise Missiles carry a W80-1 warhead with a yield of 5 to 150 kilotons and are specifically designed for delivery by B-52 strategic bombers

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
5 kiloton...150 kiloton...what's a few kilotons amongst friends??? :eek:

Dude, I don't think the fish are gonna be biting anytime soon...
Nuclear%20Explosion.jpg

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I've had so many bad expiriences with buff pilots. As such, this scares the shit out of me.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Hasn't something like this happened before... here

It is the stated position of the U.S. Air Force that their safeguards would prevent the occurence of such events as are depicted...

I guess now that the rooskies are back at their old tricks we need to initiate plan r

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
The most laughable part about that whole thing, is that no one knew that there were nukes on the missles until after it landed at it's destination....can't you picture some dude out looking at the cruise missles and realizing they were nukes.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Just spoke with a B-52 WSO at MacDill AFB in Tampa - they were external, pylon loaded weapons.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Glad to see that grueling IA down in Tampa is serving the AW forum well, Rob!