• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-52 mistakenly loaded/flies with Nukes...idiots

The most laughable part about that whole thing, is that no one knew that there were nukes on the missles until after it landed at it's destination....can't you picture some dude out looking at the cruise missles and realizing they were nukes.

^^^^
For some reason I hear Gommer Pile saying "Surprise Surprise Surprise"

robav8r

None
Contributor
Glad to see that grueling IA down in Tampa is serving the AW forum well, Rob!

As my Commodore said: "someone has to do it. No one else wanted it, so it's yours if you want it." The rest is history . . . .

I did make some great connections though :)

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The number of Broken Arrows is amazing, really. When I was working on such things I had some research on the topic and it is amazing. Most of the basic broken arrow stuff is UNCLASS, so google away. I imagine there is a lot of info out there.

I want to say there are like 5 still unaccounted for that were accidental launches. Can't remember. (ok, I did a quick google and it said 6.)

A modern PU-239 implosion trigger (what our "h-bombs" are) is very unlikely to reach critical mass (i.e. KA-BOOM) from dropping off a bomber vs. being launched intentionally.

However....I sure as hell don't want B-52s flying around with live nukes that they don't even know they have no matter how unlikely an accidental nuclear incident is!

So all that said, this is really a disgrace to the USAF. We blast Russia for poor nuke security, then this happens. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The most laughable part about that whole thing, is that no one knew that there were nukes on the missles until after it landed at it's destination....can't you picture some dude out looking at the cruise missles and realizing they were nukes.

How could they miss it? I've transported nukes and not being an expert or anything the ones I saw had stuff all over them. Antenna looking things..........
This probably won't look good for the entire crews, ground and air's resume! :eek:

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Fox is saying the AF COS is personally briefing SecDef several times daily on the investigation. Man, some heads are gonna roll for this one.

MasterBates

Ooohh. That is going to suck to be remotely involved with. And to see how bad they got spun up over misplaced CADs, this won't be fun to be involved with.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
So all that said, this is really a disgrace to the USAF. We blast Russia for poor nuke security, then this happens. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

My thoughts exactly. If you read the article and replace "USAF" and B-52 with "Russian AF" and TU-95 there would be folks all around the world calling them out on nuke security. Congress would be voting to suspend foreign aid, military cooperation, etc, etc

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Maybe, they are just tired of flying those old hunks around, the leadership came up with this great plan that would fire up the American people to get rid of B-52s ASAP... All they needed were some scapegoats, a pushy Wing Commander, a Buff, and a couple of Nukes and Walla.. They finally get a follow on aircraft... Maybe if we had done that; S-3 Pilots would have actually seen a replacement aircraft like OUR leadership always told us was on the horizon????

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Sometimes I feel like we give the Air Force a lot shit just because, but this thread right here is absolutely justified.

"Hey Ed, paper says they want some pointy things mounted on these here rails."

"We ain't got many of them lyin' around here, Ralph. Whatta we do?"

"Just go to that bunker over there and get soma dem ones we never use. Ask that artsy fartsy armed guard to help with the load. What does he think he's in the Army or something? Just ask him like your supposed to be there and he won't think twice about it."

"Right Ed, I'll see you at the Raccoon Lodge tonight."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sooooooooooo ..... what's the problem???

jackripperor5.jpg

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
From stories I've heard (admittedly from Navy pilots), the air force puts far less emphasis on knowing their weapons systems. I can say from personal experience the level of systems knowledge/understanding required in AF primary pales compared to what the Navy required of me in advanced and requires in the rag. It was a totally different approach in that sense. I have to wonder if this approach to systems knowledge in some way related to this slipping past everyone, specifically the crew.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From stories I've heard (admittedly from Navy pilots), the air force puts far less emphasis on knowing their weapons systems. I can say from personal experience the level of systems knowledge/understanding required in AF primary pales compared to what the Navy required of me in advanced and requires in the rag. It was a totally different approach in that sense. I have to wonder if this approach to systems knowledge in some way related to this slipping past everyone, specifically the crew.
Do you guys --- probably carrier-capable 'rons only --- still plan/do SIOP missions??? No OPSEC herein is being violated, so un-lax -- just a simple "da" or "nyet" will suffice .... :)