• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

cb812

SNA
Let me see if I understand correctly: If you received a waiver, you are required to submit a handwritten statement saying why you want to be a Naval Officer in conjunction with your motivational statement?

Each waiver will require different statements, some may not require any statements.

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
I guess so. But I already had wrote a had written statement awhile ago for my waivers before sending them to the PM. And now he's like well we need one more but this time write one about "Why you want to become a naval officer" Oh well.

I see. Well, the Navy is a very large organization so it isn't surprising that different requested actions for similar situations are given. Just heed the advice of your OR for your situation and press forward. Keep your head high mate, no board dates have been stated yet.

Last edited:

cb812

SNA
I agree. If all you need to do is submit the statement to the PM, it's not like it has to go through NRD and NRC. They should be able to get that added to the application fairly quickly. You got this!

Bronco

Lurking Member
Good or bad...? Just received a call from my OR. My application was sent back after it was sitting at the PMs desk for about 3 weeks now! Saying they wanted a hand written statement of "Why I want to be a naval officer?" Is that not what the Motivational Statement is for!?!? I hope I don't miss this board over some stupid @#$% like that.

I've written several of those too... Not on that "why I want to be a Naval officer" but for other things.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
I've written several of those too... Not on that "why I want to be a Naval officer" but for other things.
I had to write one for a medical waiver. Something to the effect of "Why should a medical condition be waived for me?" Or something along those lines. But that was just after MEPS and pre-ASTB for me.

NOOOOOOOOO Why did I smoke pot 4 times in high school :(
I have always been considering the military (and arguably waited nearly too long) and I've even been to Amsterdam and I've never smoked. That stinks.

exNavyOffRec

Oh wow. I assumed (emphasis on ass) that when the board met, we physically interviewed in front of the board members. So the board just reviews and analyzes our package and makes the decision solely on the contents? I'm glad I spent significant time on my Motivational Statement.

I have had guys selected for SNA that had one paragraph motivational statements, of course their PFAR was 8 or 9

exNavyOffRec

I had a medical waiver as well, and per the solid suggestion of my OR, I typed a one-paragraph background statement on the issue at hand.

The board should not be seeing anything or know anything about any medical issues other than PQ, they are not medical professionals and as such have no need to evaluate.

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
I had to write a hand-written statement for my medical waiver as well. Since it was for an issue that has no bearing on job performance, they just wanted to know what happened. My first application got sent back from the February board because they wanted a letter from my OR's CO about why I switched from the NUPOC to aviation track. I thought that was rather odd.

Bronco

Lurking Member
I had to write a hand-written statement for my medical waiver as well. Since it was for an issue that has no bearing on job performance, they just wanted to know what happened. My first application got sent back from the February board because they wanted a letter from my OR's CO about why I switched from the NUPOC to aviation track. I thought that was rather odd.

I made the same switch, wonder if I'll get sent back as well.

The_Pants

It was sent back before the convening board and you still didn't make the deadline after resubmitting? That's ridiculous if that's the case. That's what I'm afraid is going to happen to my application and I'm missing out on other opportunities b/c I'm trusting my OR. I'll call him in a couple days and see where this paperwork was sent. I hope it doesn't have to repeat previous steps going through NRD, NRC, blah blah blah ...:mad:

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot

I believe I had two medical waivers (one for LASIK) and haven't had to write a single statement. However, my OR confirmed that my application is at the board...should I be worried?