• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

Jay Mouton

We are all sitting and patiently waiting for the board to convey and the results to be released. There are some people working feverishly to get their applications completed and submitted, while a lot of us have already submitted our packages. I’ve maintained silent watch of the forum and I see a lot of comparison between what everyone else has brought to the table and this seems to cause some individuals to have some doubt about their application. The best advice I can pass to everyone is just to relax and let the system work. Don’t stress over things you physically can’t control. As long as you gave every aspect that you can control your best effort; personal statements, ASTB exam, and College/Military career, things will be OK. Always think positive.

I think we should use the time we have waiting to learn about the Navy, the Wardroom, and some of the different aviation communities (Unfortunately everyone can’t be fighter pilots). Each business day I will try to post something related to one of these topics and I’ll try not to post something that has already been explained already on AW, (which may prove to be a difficult task)

Cheers,
JAY

Bull Ensign

The Bull Ensign is the senior ensign of a Navy command (ship, squadron, or shore activity). In addition to normal duties, the Bull Ensign assumes various additional responsibilities such as teaching less-experienced ensigns about life at sea, planning and coordinating wardroom social activities, making sure that the officers’ mess runs smoothly, and serving as an officer (such as treasurer) for Navy-related social organizations. The Bull Ensign is responsible for preventing junior ensigns in his command from embarrassing themselves and the Navy. Though the position often has little formal authority, the Bull Ensign serves as the focal point for the unit’s expression of spirit and pride. A Bull Ensign will often be recognized by his uniform’s oversized gold ensign collar device engraved with the word “Bull.”

Boot Ensign
The opposite of a Bull Ensign is the Boot or George Ensign - the officer with the least seniority in the wardroom. The term “Boot Ensign” likely originated in the first half of the 20th century. A “Boot” is an inexperienced/ignorant Navy or Marine Corps recruit in basic training (1911), or a junior officer, as mentioned in Martin Dibner’s World War II novel, The Deep Six, published in 1953.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq126-1.htm

cb812

SNA
964 words, I have you all beat!

Intro/background, flight experience, community service, leadership...

No too wordy, to the point, clear and concise, but I made sure to cover everything that I would want the board to know about me and why I believe I would make a great Naval officer and aviator.

I wonder how much weight the statement has...?

exNavyOffRec

964 words, I have you all beat!

Intro/background, flight experience, community service, leadership...

No too wordy, to the point, clear and concise, but I made sure to cover everything that I would want the board to know about me and why I believe I would make a great Naval officer and aviator.

I wonder how much weight the statement has...?

You have great scores and a great GPA, unless your motivational statement was written in crayon by Opie from Family Guy I would feel confident in your chances.

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
Just ran across this Navy Report: Naval Aviation Vision 2014-2025. Link is to an article giving an overview of the report and full report is 88 pages of solid information. I am ready to be a part of this generation of Naval Aviators!

http://goo.gl/zZ7hAe

687 words...

Professional military education & military experience including leadership in the military (more than half my motivational statement) --> Volunteer Experience --> Sports --> Flight Experience --> a well written conclusion.

cb812

SNA
You know when National OPO said the board wasn't happening this week, he wasn't supposed to be right :p

If I remember correctly, applicants from the last board still were not sure exactly if the board was meeting when it actually was in progress. I wonder if it's going to be the same this go around?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Good to know, that plus with the insight that we have been getting from National OPO, we should have a pretty good idea of board date. Getting anxious.
my recruiter didn't seem to appreciate the fact I knew the board met a week before he did, so maybe just internalize your angst and just let him call you when he finds out...if he does

I'm also eager for the board to meet so I can move onto the next step in the process and have that assurance that I am going to be a naval aviator!

Last edited:
@RUFi0181 said when the board was going to meet, and it met at the time he said.

Hey sir my 368 expires on August 31st, would you happen to know if I have to get a class date before then? If so do you know if the personnel that schedule the classes would be aware of this and take it into consideration? Thanks in advance.