• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Thats probably because the other platforms are hurting right now for personnel and not because of any indication that the MV-22s are going away.

Nah, I didn't mean the Osprey going away as much as I was just surprised that we already have 52 Ospreys on the flight line. I figured maybe 2 dozen at most.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Nah, I didn't mean the Osprey going away as much as I was just surprised that we already have 52 Ospreys on the flight line. I figured maybe 2 dozen at most.

They are all over the place up here in New River...52 sounds about right though...

Threadjack: Have you winged yet? How much longer do you have?

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
I heard a rumor (I know, its just a rumor) that the Osprey the Marines bought can not pressurize and is lacking an O2 system. Is any of this true?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
They are all over the place up here in New River...52 sounds about right though...

Threadjack: Have you winged yet? How much longer do you have?

Probably three-four months, looks like I'll be finishing up here December-ish or so.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
Negative. It can pressurize, and has an O2 system. HOWEVER - it can only pressurize the cockpit, not the cabin...

Then how could they "self deploy" if they cant bring any maintainers along with their tool/parts etc?

The reason I ask is because I know a couple of Marine navs were sent to New River to try and plan the trans atlantic refueling op. They said that it was very difficult because of the ceiling limitations of the aircraft (see pressurization and O2 system longevity). That helped make the decision to not "self deploy", not so much airframe wear and tear.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It does not pressurize anything. Currently there is only enough O2 capacity to supply masks for the pilots and crewchiefs.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I can't speak to the DT models. I just know there's no pressurization in my mighty steed. It's something I hope is in the spiral development pipeline, because being able to take pax to our service ceiling would do great things to mitigate the MANPAD threat.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
GREAT !!! I, for one, hope it finally works and works well .... but where's the guns???

"They" were working on this when I was in Dallas ... i.e., Bell Helicopter Textron in HEB .... think early '80's. Now .... 25 years +/- later ..... really, folks ..... think about it .... how long should it take to make a "military aircraft" ... ???? :)

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
Well allllllright! :D

v22.jpg

These guys are next..;)

375px-Collection_of_military_aircraft.jpg

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
GREAT !!! I, for one, hope it finally works and works well .... but where's the guns???

"They" were working on this when I was in Dallas ... i.e., Bell Helicopter Textron in HEB .... think early '80's. Now .... 25 years +/- later ..... really, folks ..... think about it .... how long should it take to make a "military aircraft" ... ???? :)

Saying it took 25 years to develop the V-22 is like me saying I've been cleaning my garage for 6 months. Technically true, but really it's only been few weekends out of that time. A lot of that time was pretty low-intensity, as were several of those "25 years" everyone gets so hot about.

They'll do fine. The nature of the conflict has changed a lot from OIF I, when they really would have made a big difference kicking the door down. I figure the big money will be made on casevacs this time around, "golden hour" and all that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Saying it took 25 years to develop the V-22 is like me saying I've been cleaning my garage for 6 months. Technically true, but really it's only been few weekends out of that time......
Sooooooooooooo .... then it's O.K. ???? The 25 year thingy ???

How about if it took me 25 years to get my Wings of Gold??? But I had a lot of "down time" because of WX or shitty aircraft availability ... ???

Or in this case, is it politics and $$$$$ in military procurement ...... i.e., situation normal .... ??? :)

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
No, it's not okay. But the fault for taking so long lies with the budgeteers, politicians, and program managers, not with the concept or the aircraft. The 25 year figure is often used as a preface to an anti-V22 argument. E.g. "It's messed up...look how long it's taken!"