• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
No, it's not okay......
I figured you would say something like that .... 'cause you are a good guy. ;)

I kinda see you guys on the leading edge (finally) of some "new" technology in aviation --- kinda like some of my former USMC buds (yes, I had a few ... don't like to talk about it :)) who left the A-4 community for the Harrier when it was "cutting edge".

Hope it -- and you -- both do well.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GREAT !!! I, for one, hope it finally works and works well .... but where's the guns???

Funny you should ask.....Ospreys opted for a ramp gun after OEF lessons learned were evaluated. And now SOCOM is looking for an "all-quadrant" solution for their CV-22 variant of the Osprey.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Thunder Chickens" underway!

More news on the deployment of the "Thunder Chickens".

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Thunder Chickens?? "THUNDER CHICKENS" .... I can/could deal with "Warthog" ... but this???

The horror. The humanity ....

As the story goes, the official nickname was/is "Thunder EAGLES." When the squadron flew CH-46s in Vietnam, the locals didn't have a word for "eagle," so they used the Vietnamese word for "chicken." The Marines found out about it, for some reason liked it, and it stuck for a while. At some point, heritage-minded Marines brought the 'Nam-era name back.

There's a similar story about the HMM-163 "Evil Eyes." They've had to go back and forth between the "official" nickname of "Ridgerunners" and the 'Nam-based (and much cooler) nickname "Evil Eyes."

Attachments

• vmm263trans.gif
    vmm263trans.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 488
  • 163patch.jpg
    163patch.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 163patch2.jpg
    163patch2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 48

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As the story goes, the official nickname was/is "Thunder EAGLES." When the squadron flew CH-46s in Vietnam, the locals didn't have a word for "eagle," so they used the Vietnamese word for "chicken.".....
I'm not a Marine Helo historian .. but that sounds "familiar".
But still .... "Chicken"??? I weep ..... :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There's a similar story about the HMM-163 "Evil Eyes." They've had to go back and forth between the "official" nickname of "Ridgerunners" and the 'Nam-based (and much cooler) nickname "Evil Eyes."
They probably pushed for the Evil Eyes just to get away from the faggy horse.....:eek:

Nose

pilot
What's your point? That the Naval Aviation Enterprise needs to satisfy the NY Times' discerning audience before deployment?

"The Naval Aviation Enterprise?" What the hell is that? Is it anything like The Starship Enterprise?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nae

"The Naval Aviation Enterprise?" What the hell is that? Is it anything like The Starship Enterprise?

LOL, you've been living in the NAE for some time now. It's the triad headed by CNAF and anchored by N88 on the right side of the base and NAVAIR on the left side of the base. Sound like a business? Well, it is being run with "enterprise" business practices and other warfare communties are adopting it by direction of CNO.

NAElogo_86x86.gif

Nose

pilot
LOL, you've been living in the NAE for some time now. It's the triad headed by CNAF and anchored by N88 on the right side of the base and NAVAIR on the left side of the base. Sound like a business? Well, it is being run with "enterprise" business practices and other warfare communties are adopting it by direction of CNO.

NAElogo_86x86.gif

So, basically it is a high level flag pet project that everyone gloms onto for a couple of years and when he is gone, it fades away. I assume this was a Clark thing? He was full of business ideas, but never seemed to do much for us from a warfighting perspective.

Sounds like TQL/TQM. Anyone here old enough to remember that?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NAE, it's a good thing

So, basically it is a high level flag pet project that everyone gloms onto for a couple of years and when he is gone, it fades away. I assume this was a Clark thing? He was full of business ideas, but never seemed to do much for us from a warfighting perspective.

Sounds like TQL/TQM. Anyone here old enough to remember that?

Couldn't be more wrong. In one aspect, the NAE codifies the informal relationship that always existed between the OPNAV Warfare Sponsor (N88), NAVAIRSYSCOM (and Program Offices) and CNAF. With reversal of senior aviator going from OPNAV (in 1992 timeframe) to senior of TYCOMs followed by lead/follow TYCOM under Clark, the day to day relationships at not only flag, but working level 0-6 and below were foramlizes under the NAE AND a War Council established that cuts through a lot of staff work and proverbial red tape. NAE is a good thing and it has many more aspects that go way beyond TQL/TQM (which had NOTHING to do with emergence of NAE as an entity).