• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A little advice for .40 S&W's?

Screamtruth

นักมวย
First of all: any of the Euro-Trash .40's are O.K. .... they're all solid, functional, plastic (to a degree), and reliable.

I would suggest the H&K P2000 V3 --with SA/DA trigger .... look no further. You can also try the V1, V2, V4 triggers, I have and I converted my LEM trigger to a lighter pull of @ 4.5 lbs. I've had 'em all, shot 'em all, handled 'em all ... I had no brief for the H&K prior to owning a couple --- probably just the opposite as I did NOT like the full size USP ... but now I'm sold on the compact and smaller. It's got a better trigger than SIG or Glock (sorry "Lawman"; you're wrong --- and that's always a relative concept with Euro-Trash pistols), better "pointability", better (and adjustable) grips, easier (opinion) to manipulate controls.

You won't remember the "extra" money in a month or two ... SIG is good, but it's got a decocker that gets in the way and I don't like the trigger .... Glock's O.K., but has no personality and I don't like the grip or the trigger .... so go with the winner.

You asked. Just my $20 worth ... and it's all just opinion. You need to try 'em at the range ... or buy one of each and sell the ones you don't like as much ... :)

p2000vp7.jpg

How does the P2000 carry? Would you recommend it for a CCW? I was looking at either the HK P2000 and the Springfield XD, but since I have no experience with either, I am looking for some input. The last weapon I purchased was a Springfield V10 .45 a few years back, and a Glock .357 SIG compact.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Or the canniness of the average defense lawyer. According to Ayoob, they will claim that you modified your gun to have a "hair trigger" or handloaded "killer rounds" or somesuch because you were so caught up in a jerkoff "self-defense" fantasy that you were just jonesing to kill someone, and thus should be prosecuted . . .

Looks like we both may have read the same book/seen the same Ayoob DVD. I'm in FL right now where the law seems to be on the side of a law abiding homeowner. The "Stand Your Ground" Law has been established here for about a year now. I believe that if someone ends up shooting and killing an assailant inside their own home, they cannot be charged for it. Of course I think this assumes everything about the scenario was legal as far as the homeowner goes. I also believe that the law protects the law abiding citizen from legal/civil recourse from the assailants family. Law here seems to make sense.

How does the P2000 carry? Would you recommend it for a CCW? I was looking at either the HK P2000 and the Springfield XD, but since I have no experience with either, I am looking for some input. The last weapon I purchased was a Springfield V10 .45 a few years back, and a Glock .357 SIG compact.

I am unfamilure with the HK but I have three XD's two in .40 and one in .45, I have carried all of them concealed and they have been found to be very reliable weapons in my opinion. As well before trading to the .40 cal I had an XD in 9mm as well that was an excellent carry piece. The thing I have found to like about the XD's is that they shoot essentially the same between them, there is obviously a difference between recoils but the gun handles the same regardless of that otherwise. They also make good ccw weapons in that they are fairly light because of the polymer and after a long day of lugging a piece around that can be nice.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How does the P2000 carry? Would you recommend it for a CCW? ....
It would "carry" fine as a duty weapon in a belt holster ... but for civilians?? SOB?? Shoulder?? Belly bag/Fanny pack???
Depends how you plan on carrying. ANY of the suggested handguns here or on the "other" thread are TOO HEAVY for all day carry -- sooooooooooooooooo ... they get left at home where they do little or no good.

Try a P2000SK in .40 or whatever caliber you prefer for carry. It works the "same" except for the P2000 V3 decocker and thus simplifies your "manual of arms" for the tool that might someday save your life or the lives of others. I have a P2000, but I choose not to carry it. I HAD two XD's -- one 4" bbl and one subcompact -- I sold 'em both. They are "O.K." pistols -- but not to my liking, especially with the grip safety. It's a nuisance.

BUT BEFORE YOU EVEN CONSIDER "CARRYING": You had better pay the bucks, get a lot of training, and become a "responsible" individual as it pertains to firearms and concealed carry ... i.e., know the deadly force rules and regs for your region, local, state, and/or federal --- or don't carry.

It would "carry" fine as a duty weapon in a belt holster ... but for civilians?? SOB?? Shoulder?? Belly bag/Fanny pack???
Depends how you plan on carrying. ANY of the suggested handguns here or on the "other" thread are TOO HEAVY for all day carry -- sooooooooooooooooo ... they get left at home where they do little or no good.

Amen to that, lugging a cannon around with you all day is not fun. :icon_wink

BUT BEFORE YOU EVEN CONSIDER "CARRYING": You had better pay the bucks, get a lot of training, and become a "responsible" individual as it pertains to firearms and concealed carry ... i.e., know the deadly force rules and regs for your region, local, state, and/or federal --- or don't carry.

Very sound advice.
Even when you are in the "right" you can be viewed in the wrong by the general public.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Are the 'Duty to Retreat' laws part of those rules? Generally, where is a good place to learn about these before one carries?
Of course they are.

And for starters, I would call the NRA, join the NRA, call a local NRA-affiliated gun club or your state Rifle & Pistol Club/Organization (most states have 'em) for training or further networking -- there's lots of options out there for "where to start" ....

Where NOT to start is taking "other guys' suggestions" .... go with the organizations that have the information and with those that do it for a living.

Screamtruth

นักมวย

Try a P2000SK in .40 or whatever caliber you prefer for carry. It works the "same" except for the P2000 V3 decocker and thus simplifies your "manual of arms" for the tool that might someday save your life or the lives of others. I have a P2000, but I choose not to carry it. I HAD two XD's -- one 4" bbl and one subcompact -- I sold 'em both. They are "O.K." pistols -- but not to my liking, especially with the grip safety. It's a nuisance.

Thanks for the advice. I was a permit holder, but I did not renew due to money/time issues. Now that the Oilfield has gone up, it is time to re-do. I suspect that the P2000SK is a good choice, and that weapon is what I am leaning to. What can I expect to pay (at a gun show, or online) for this weapon?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....What can I expect to pay (at a gun show, or online) for this weapon?
With a trade -- I traded in my ANIB XD 9mm subcompact -- I paid @ $500 at a dealer for a NIB H&K P2000SK in .40 S&W-- I've see them on the web at auction NIB for @ $650-699 for either caliber -- 9mm or .40.

CDNN in Abilene (you can download their pdf catalog online -- call 'em) won't quote a price online -- but I've dealt with them before and they were good to go in pricing and service in both cases. I even "accidentally" got $125 night sights on one purchase .... :) I wouldn't count on "luck", however.

Otherwise .... check the other auction sites and/or shows.

Holly85

Just saw the thread and had a question about the S&W .40. Someone told me that the trigger was heavy, and I just wanted to get some more opinions.

MasterBates

The trigger will depend on the actual pistol model, not the round being fired.

40 S&W is a 40 cailber (~.40 inch diameter bullet)

SIG, H&K, XD, Glock are all different models of guns.

pat

The trigger will depend on the actual pistol model, not the round being fired.

40 S&W is a 40 cailber (~.40 inch diameter bullet)

SIG, H&K, XD, Glock are all different models of guns.

Unless she meant the SW40(VE) had a heavy trigger pull, in which case she was right. (It WAS worded that way)

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I have the S&W 40F and yes, it is different and takes some getting used to. Some complain that the trigger requires far too much pressure. Some also complain that it is inaccurate.

I am not a pro, but it shoots quite well at 15' and under. I shoot my 915 9mm more frequently b/c the ammo is cheaper.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have the S&W 40F and yes, it is different and takes some getting used to. Some complain that the trigger requires far too much pressure. Some also complain that it is inaccurate.....
Is it "like" ... if you or anyone else knows ... like the H&K "LEM" trigger????

If so .... I have opinions. ;)