• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A little advice for .40 S&W's?

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
Hey it sounds like you gents know your guns... for a .40 S&W could I ask a little advice? Pricing is fairly similar between an H&K (USP40)and a Sig Saur (P229). I like the feel of both. Purpose would almost always be for the shooting range. Given the choice, what would you guys choose?

EDIT: Not very interested by the Glock 22 though maybe the Beratta Model 96?

tiger84

LT
pilot
I'm interested in this comparison as well. Also, if anyone has any experience with the HK P2000 as well it's another in the same class that I'm looking at pretty seriously.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I would pick whatever one that looks cooler if you were to jump through the air while firing two of them at the same time.

But that's just me.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I have the Glock 22 and love it...I would say the H&K or Sig are probably hands down a nicer gun, however the Glock is probably the better value. I love mine, and use it just at the range. Given the choice I don't know that I would drop the dough on either of those two just for the range. But if you are dead set on one of those, and you like the feel of both, well the choice is easy, get the one that is cheaper, they are both stellar guns it would be like saying "hmm which should I pick the BMW or the Mercedes" they are both high quality and in the end you'll be happy with either, now I think the Glock is the Audi but that's just me.

Edit: I would stay away from the 96, not a bad firearm but you can do better for the money.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Never fired an HK. I owned a P229 and it was a fantastic weapon. It handles the .40 very well and is VERY accurate. It also comes with different trigger options, so decide between SA/DA and DAK. I had an SA/DA and both were very smooth.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey it sounds like you gents know your guns... for a .40 S&W could I ask a little advice? Pricing is fairly similar between an H&K (USP40)and a Sig Saur (P229). I like the feel of both. Purpose would almost always be for the shooting range. Given the choice, what would you guys choose?

EDIT: Not very interested by the Glock 22 though maybe the Beratta Model 96?

You narrowed down the hardest part. Usually with pistols I say get what feels the best in your hand. For me, H&K have always fit and balanced well in my hand. Sig's are good too, but to me just didn't fit as well.

I think you might save some $$ if you went with Sig, but I haven't priced pistols in a while.

If I had to recommend, I'd suggest the H&K. I have a USP Compact in .357Sig with thousands of rounds through it with no misfeeds or bottlenecks. I couldn't be happier.

Lawman

None
Sig will come in a bit cheaper. Quality wise they are both extreamly well crafted rugged as hell battlefield/service capable pistols right out of the box. About all you could ever need/want to do with these pistols is put night sights on them.

I carried a USP as a sidearm and still wear it now and again when I want to have a bigger gun then my normal carry piece. Id trust my life to that gun without a second thought. However the only reason I didnt ever look at a Sig was because Im a left handed left eye dominant shooter and the ergonomics of the pistol just didnt do it for me when I was trying it out. The Sig Trigger is extreamly good out of the box and in some ways felt a little cleaner then the H&K but I liked the H&K sight picture better. Really You just need to go to a range that has both and shoot them side by side. Buy the one you like and feel more comfortable with.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm interested in this comparison as well. Also, if anyone has any experience with the HK P2000 .....
First of all: any of the Euro-Trash .40's are O.K. .... they're all solid, functional, plastic (to a degree), and reliable.

I would suggest the H&K P2000 V3 --with SA/DA trigger .... look no further. You can also try the V1, V2, V4 triggers, I have and I converted my LEM trigger to a lighter pull of @ 4.5 lbs. I've had 'em all, shot 'em all, handled 'em all ... I had no brief for the H&K prior to owning a couple --- probably just the opposite as I did NOT like the full size USP ... but now I'm sold on the compact and smaller. It's got a better trigger than SIG or Glock (sorry "Lawman"; you're wrong --- and that's always a relative concept with Euro-Trash pistols), better "pointability", better (and adjustable) grips, easier (opinion) to manipulate controls.

You won't remember the "extra" money in a month or two ... SIG is good, but it's got a decocker that gets in the way and I don't like the trigger .... Glock's O.K., but has no personality and I don't like the grip or the trigger .... so go with the winner.

You asked. Just my $20 worth ... and it's all just opinion. You need to try 'em at the range ... or buy one of each and sell the ones you don't like as much ... :)

p2000vp7.jpg

pat

I own the P229 in 40, and it was my first pick because first, (and most importantly,) it felt great in my hand, and with a set oh Hogue grips it felt even better. Also, I like the heavy pull on the DA and the feather pull on the SA, no safety, and a decocker.

Check out their Certified Pre Owned's, it will knock considerable $$$ off of the price.

Also, have you checked out the CZ75?

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I use the Glock 22 at work. Have for years. I'm not a serious gun enthusiast but I do know that if I am going to have to use the Glock 22 in the heat of battle, the muscle memory will be there. It will be second nature. The only other handgun I let interfere with that muscle memory is my off-duty Glock 27. The likelihood of me using anything other than Glock is slim.

I think all the handguns you mentioned are great. I've used them all. I've talked with folks more informed about them than me and read about them. All great. Therefore it has to be personal. I say go to the store/range, shoot them all side by side and see what you think. :D

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I trust my life to the P2k on a daily basis. I have one in V3 with the decocker in .40 S&W. I love it.

I also have USPs and love them as well.

Im not a big fan of the Sig. Just never liked the way they shoot.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a Sig 229 and Glock 23. The Sig is heavier than the Glock, IMHO.

Sig with empty mag 32 oz
Glock with empty mag 21 oz

Can be a factor if you have a CCW.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
my biggest gripe with my glock is the trigger, I put a different connector in it and that made worlds of difference, and they are a little light which IMO makes it be less accurate but still a great gun, and I plan on buying another glock here soon. If your willing to spend the money do as said above, pick the one you think looks the most badass and feels the best in your hand and you wont regret it.

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
There is a lot of really good advice here. I think I need a couple more session down at the range with both of them, and also see if they have that H&K P2000 V3 to try. If they are all fantastic guns then it shouldn't matter too much which one I pick up. Thanks for all the insight sharp-shooters, I'm glad I asked. :icon_shoo

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Most places that I have seen dont carry the P2000 (its usually an item the have to order) and if they do its not V3. Most people like the LEM trigger. I for the record do not.