• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2011 August, September, October, etc. OCS Boards

You guys are kinda making me miss school right now. Only two years out and I am already looking back fondly on those sleepless nights.

Just met with my OR, he said next boards are for sure in August! I'm glad to say I'll finally be able to throw my name into the mix if all goes according to plan..

Also, he said that they just changed the ASTB. You can only take the new version twice in your life and there's a joystick... lovely. If you took the old ASTB and need to retake, it won't count as any of your 2 attempts at the new one. Best of luck to everyone on their packages!

I just wanted to add that I got in touch with my OR and he said that as of now, just because you took the old ASTB, you will not have to retake it in the new format if you are satisfied with your current scores. In case anyone was wondering.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
I just wanted to add that I got in touch with my OR and he said that as of now, just because you took the old ASTB, you will not have to retake it in the new format if you are satisfied with your current scores. In case anyone was wondering.

Is the new one already being implemented? I plan to take it in about 3 weeks, and hope I do not have to take some new version already, because I have been preparing for the old version and would rather not be some test dummy for the new one. Any word on the exact changes?

Is the new one already being implemented? I plan to take it in about 3 weeks, and hope I do not have to take some new version already, because I have been preparing for the old version and would rather not be some test dummy for the new one. Any word on the exact changes?

I am not sure. I didn't ask my recruiter that. I told him that I knew they now had a new version of the test and simply asked if I would be required to take it. He said he would advise me not to take it as my scores are competetive. He made no mention either way on if they are already using it or not.

GreenLantern330

I think it varies by OR or NRD. My OR said that he's waiting to get the joysticks in the mail and waiting for the word on when to start administering the new ASTB.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Everyone hold up now.

Even if there is a new ASTB coming out soon it will test very similar material. No need to freak out about studying the wrong stuff. Study as you normally would and if there is a new component, just do your best.

Knowing how all of this works, it will probably take quite some time to phase out the old test anyways...

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
Deal with it. You're going to need thick skin in this business.

What I said was the truth dude, you're logic was flawed. If you want to be a pilot thats what you should apply for, and thats what I was saying. Eaglei22 is on his second try, I know guys who tried 3 or 4 times. I tried to get into the Naval Academy until I was too old and then went through ROTC. My point was don't be the guy who settles, or thinks he can't get it. Be the guy who is bold. I don't want to fly with pansies that sulk and think they should shoot for their second choice. Good for you, you got your confidence, try and keep it. A trend of lack of confidence will show up real quick when you jump in that T-34 or T-6 for the first few flights.

I don't care how much calculus you took in college. The ONLY reason a technical degree gives you a leg up is because BIG NAVY says they want tech majors. So if your BS in Econ is considered a tech major then maybe you get a little boost when your package goes before the board. My point was applying for something thinking that your econ degree will be applicable is ridiculous. Apply for something because thats what you want to do. If you want to do supply, then awesome. But don't do it because you studied economics.

Thanks. I agree with you in that I don't want to settle. That's why I'm leaving my current job in commercial banking and taking a hefty pay cut to pursue a career in the Navy. It's what I want to do and I should have pursued a commission in college rather than pursuing athletics. I didn't, and that's why I'm going after it now.

I don't want to settle in life, that's for sure. In my mind getting NFO or Supply wouldn't be settling though, I guess that's where we differ. You're logic isn't flawed, I shouldn't have said that, it's just different than mine. Mayber that means I shouldn't be a pilot... if I'm willing to "settle" for anything else, maybe I don't want to be a pilot as bad as I would need to to be successful. I don't know. My biggest thing is getting a spot in OCS, not getting a spot as an SNA.

As far as Econ goes, I know a 3.5 in Econ isn't going to get me a spot as an SNA/SNFO. I'm just clinging to the hope it doesn't my chances. Big Navy likes technical majors, I know you're right. But for Supply, a 3.5 in Econ looks pretty good (I think). Either way, becoming a Naval Officer is #1. I prefer SNA/SNFO, but Supply would be great too. I made 9/9/9 63 on the ASTB, so hopefully this whole post is for nothing b/c hopefully I'll get SNA and SNFO. And if I don't, by that time maybe I'll have decided to wait it out and reapply. I turn 26 this month though, so the clock is ticking...

Thanks again!

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Thanks. I agree with you in that I don't want to settle. That's why I'm leaving my current job in commercial banking and taking a hefty pay cut to pursue a career in the Navy. It's what I want to do and I should have pursued a commission in college rather than pursuing athletics. I didn't, and that's why I'm going after it now.

The pay cut will only be temp(in a few yrs and more rank you will make decent pay, I'd say around O4 plus all the great benefits. Is when the pay will supersede what you make now, and start to out weigh what you make now and would of made had you not made the change.).. And even though I was Air Force before and don't know much about the Navy, it should still be the same. If you live on base you get free housing.. and pay minimal monthly for basically all the food you want.

Happy bday, I turn 27 next month. Thank god for prior-enlisted waivers.

This is the first time I've read this thread. I feel really dumb for not checking it sooner. I saw that a couple of people said that their ORs said the all-clear was given to submit packages for the August board, but the last time I talked to the OPO in my NRD (Thursday June 9th) she said that they had still not been given permission to submit packages for the August board. I plan on giving them a call tomorrow (Monday) to see if anything has changed.

My package is ready to be submitted, but is staying at my OR's office because of the "suspension." I've never gotten a single call or email from my OR or processor with an update of the situation, even if there was no update (it would be great if they would just call me to let me know nothing has changed). I have to call them every week just to see if anything has changed. I know I'm not the only person they are working with, and that they are very busy as well, so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. But when I read on these forums that people are submitting their packages and quoting emails from their ORs, I can't help but feel like there's something going on with the people I'm working with.

Sorry if that was inappropriate. I'm just wondering if there are other people in similar situations, where they haven't been able to submit yet.

My OR is in Pensacola, FL, and my NRD is New Orleans, by the way. If anyone was curious. Good luck to those who are in the August board for sure!

MasterBates

The pay cut will only be temp(in a few yrs and more rank you will make decent pay, I'd say around O4 plus all the great benefits. Is when the pay will supersede what you make now, and start to out weigh what you make now and would of made had you not made the change.).. And even though I was Air Force before and don't know much about the Navy, it should still be the same. If you live on base you get free housing.. and pay minimal monthly for basically all the food you want.

Happy bday, I turn 27 next month. Thank god for prior-enlisted waivers.

Money is not why those of us are doing it..

I'm just now making what I would have been making if I had stayed an engineer (assuming nominal career progression with my peers), but if I stay on AD, will never catch up in lifetime earnings. And the only reason I'm "close" is because of the bonus, which is now gone.

The money as an ENS is better than when I was an ENS (Relative to inflation) and benefits are about the same, but it was a definite pay cut from my engineering job.

Don't do it for the money, but know that you will make enough to be comfortable. If you have student loans that are more than a car payment, the first couple years might be tight. When I was an ENS a whole paycheck went to those, and I was living off the other check.

MasterBates

Just don't have the guy thinking that he will be making "O-4 Money" soon.. I was commissioned in 2001. I'm still a LT. That being said, I make more than the LCDRs not on the bonus, but that was a luck and timing thing.